• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to handle defensive play as Roy

Doc Sarcasm

Smash Rookie
I have been to a handful of tournaments recently and I always have trouble against this particularly campy Lucas. I would love to know some ways you guys try to play around defensive play as a aggressive character.

SafCar

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0645-5834-8488
How campy? Did he use projectiles? Or was he abusing Zair to space?

Projectiles can be avoided if you keep an eye on him. Zair might be possible to evade by crouching.

CasteHappy//

Smash Apprentice
Roy's biggest flaw is his defensive play. Practice doing Up B out of shield / grounded Up B, it's an underrated move in neutral and the armor frames let you scape some multihit moves and counter them, even FSmashes and strong attacks.
As a Roy player you need to know how to do the Fox Trot cancelling (Or extended dash dancing) and master it, I think his best deffense is running away and dash dancing.

When you are not attacking, just roll away, dash dance and wait for the oppening. To deal with projectiles, run and shield, he is fast enought to punish most projectiles. He needs to pressure the opponent and stay evasive to win neutral.

But yeah I think Lucas is not a good matchup for Roy, Ness is a terrible one so...

Last edited:
I also tend to struggle against defensive play as Roy.

I may not be as good as many people here but I have some tips.

Get a good timing of Roy's dash animation.

When you can end with sheild or stuck in the animation.

Otherwise if your just running into them you'll have to wait for dash to finish then Shield by then you will likely be hit to the face with something.

A really good duck hunt by the name of Gavos (numbers I can't remember)on twitch said rush down would help better.

Since then I have improved in the matchup with defense and find them better dealt with.

Don't give them room to run around and chuck stuff at you.

Walk up to them whilst perfect shielding and catch them in there startup frames.

Focus on a good approach or you will get hit too.

Doc Sarcasm

Smash Rookie
How campy? Did he use projectiles? Or was he abusing Zair to space?

Projectiles can be avoided if you keep an eye on him. Zair might be possible to evade by crouching.
yes, he was constantly using Zair into a grab followup. I never thought about crouching under it however, I just assumed Roy was a bit to big to do that.

Roy's biggest flaw is his defensive play. Practice doing Up B out of shield / grounded Up B, it's an underrated move in neutral and the armor frames let you scape some multihit moves and counter them, even FSmashes and strong attacks.
As a Roy player you need to know how to do the Fox Trot cancelling (Or extended dash dancing) and master it, I think his best deffense is running away and dash dancing.

When you are not attacking, just roll away, dash dance and wait for the oppening. To deal with projectiles, run and shield, he is fast enought to punish most projectiles. He needs to pressure the opponent and stay evasive to win neutral.

But yeah I think Lucas is not a good matchup for Roy, Ness is a terrible one so...
Thanks for the tips to improve my defensive play, I've noticed that Roy is combo food to the Psi kids.

I also tend to struggle against defensive play as Roy.

I may not be as good as many people here but I have some tips.

Get a good timing of Roy's dash animation.

When you can end with sheild or stuck in the animation.

Otherwise if your just running into them you'll have to wait for dash to finish then Shield by then you will likely be hit to the face with something.

A really good duck hunt by the name of Gavos (numbers I can't remember)on twitch said rush down would help better.

Since then I have improved in the matchup with defense and find them better dealt with.

Don't give them room to run around and chuck stuff at you.

Walk up to them whilst perfect shielding and catch them in there startup frames.

Focus on a good approach or you will get hit too.
[/QUOTE]
I find that trying to shield against Lucas players they just Zair into a grab, however a lot of these tips are very helpful thanks!

Last edited:

Kealmir

Smash Cadet
All my friends who play Smash 4 all play some form of Link or Samus, I found the best way to handle them was to overpower them and find a way to force them into their shield and apply pressure. If you can condition them to shield against spaced Nair's and FSmash, go for EmptyHop grabs for a Forward throw into Dash Attack. It may not be the best option for getting the most out of one grab, but it's consistent at various mid to high percentages for building up decent damage and will force stage control. Just be aware Lucas has more recovery options then Ness and ledge trumping with Roy's Ledge drop to Bair may be the best option against it.

If he's not the shielding type and you manage to push through projectiles challenge his attacks and grabs with a quick Jab or Downtilt, they are great combo starters at low%

Mastering the match up with Roy is all about knowing how to apply pressure.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Lucas's grab is still bit in the slow side so if you can keep a good spacing away from it after shielding Z-Air, you could punish him during endlag of that grab.

On the defensive players, I've usually found the key being that you can nicely turn the tables towards your opponent as long as you spare attacking in the times they can react to it - as Roy hits quite hard and can do some combos, concentrate on setting your defending player on those (pretty much here you just got to "chip in" damage plainly).
Usually this means playing mindgames and even baiting them during approaching or avoiding their attacks they think you'll run blindly to them (so Emptyhops to Grab can be good starters).

Top Bottom