• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to grab well?

Fluggerson

Smash Apprentice
There are so many grab ranges and I have trouble grabbing people. I've always had trouble grabbing in all smash games and I recently fought a peach that kept grabbing me perfectly. I try not to grab but it seems like this game is very crucial on grabbing, so I am trying to learn. Any tips? I know I have to remember the grab range on some characters. Some characters I'm trying to learn that needs to grab are Mario/Ness/Shulk/Sheik.

Namefound

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2664-2603-8552
I'm not a pro or anything, but when it comes to grabbing, I try to look for an opening to dash in and grab. It sometimes work, and sometimes it doesn't. Either way, that's my advice, Look for an opening in your opponent and rush in and grab! (And hope for the best, too.)

RedBeanPorridge

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RedBeanPorridge
3DS FC
3823-8771-4471
I've found that in this came I'm always having to dash grab which I havent been needing to do in past smash games. Could it be that grab range has been nerfed in general?

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Grabs are super low priority so they shouldn't be a plan A offensive tactic unless you're using one of the characters with a kill thorw and it's time. Generally you want to grab in one of two situations:

-Grab is the overall best punish you have in the current situation. For most characters, landing a grab is somewhat better than landing any tilt but clearly worse than landing a smash; these situations happen a lot especially since you can grab directly out of shield (shieldgrabbing is a big tactic).
-You're specifically predicting your opponent is going to sit on shield. This is easier to do against some opponents than others, and it's more about the player than about the match-up.

There are all kinds of other uses you can find for grabbing (it's useful all around!), but these are the main two situations you should really be looking for grabs. Outside of them, your prime goal shouldn't be to "use more grabs" since, offten, you can do even better with other attacks that control more space and do more damage, and it's not any better or worse to build your damage with grabs or ordinary attacks.

YELLO

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyuuketsukou
3DS FC
2509-3654-5979
i generally will only grab in shield after blocking an opponent's air attack
they are wide open and even if they manage to block, the grab will always punish
the only other time ill grab is if i notice they are shielding a lot
once they stop shielding so much ill resort back to physical attacks

Volt@ge

Smash Cadet
NNID
Selybe
3DS FC
5112-4219-4625
I'm not too proficient at grabbing, not really quick enough to reliably shield grab yet. That said, projectiles help immensely in grabbing. In my case, obviously running behind a T-jolt usually guarantees me a grab, or another followup should they roll it or whatever.

I used to like grabbing a lot, like, too much. That combined with my general ineptitude lost me a lot of games. I tend now to only go for grabs with projectile support, or against something predictable like a missed Bowser Bomb.

Last edited:

PichuAngel

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1289-8688-6090
I've become a pretty decent grabber. Grab chaining is easy to accomplish once you keep practicing. I usually, with Pikachu, go for a dash and grab them. Then I combo them with any chance I get. I've gotten use to chain grabbing by just going with my gut and dashing right towards my opponent. It's becoming a very easy thing for me to do now!
Grab chaining them, then a great combo is a great way to raise their damage.

soru

#2 Best Palutena in Canada
Shield grab is great. If you're expecting the opponent to approach recklessly, you could run up shield (which is an amazing option in this game it seems) and then grab if they attack your shield.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
You go for grabs based on what your opponent does.

- If you notice, the opponent is blocking a lot after you try to pressure their shield, end the pressure early and grab them.
- if you go near them and they try to roll forward/backwards, you run to where they are gonna be and grab them.

You go for games based on what the player is doing and how they react to what you are doing. You just don't try to grab everyone the same way. You have to adapt to what the player is doing. If you see thiem shielding a lot when you do something specific, that you just grab them. You don't force it. You do it when the situation calls for it. If it does not then you do not have to grab. You can win matches without one.

If this Peach player was grabbing you a lot, it could be because you had an obvious habit that he noticed and punished it with easy grabs. That would be my guess.

Top Bottom