• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to get to the ledge the fastest?

Blueberry Kong

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DKbill
What's the fastest way to grab the ledge? Since there's no RAR or speed hugging int his game, what should I do? I'm practicing running up > shine turnaround > wavedash to ledge, but I'm having a lot of trouble being consistent with it. Any other good methods?

hi im dennis

Smash Apprentice
This is a pretty fast method that a lot of people use.

Step 1: Run off the stage.
Step 2: Shine horizontal to the ledge.
Step 3: Flick the stick toward the ledge to shine turnaround.
Step 4: Jump cancel shine and then immediately up special, if you did it fast enough you should still be in relatively the same spot as when you shined.
Step 5: You automatically grab ledge.

Uber Duck

Smash Rookie
You can do the above, but there is another technique called PC Dropping, which let's you grab the ledge by moving towards the ledge, turning around at a specific point, and using your momentum to fall off and grab the ledge. It's very difficult for me, but IIRC it's the fastest method. However, waveshine-turn around and the shine-firefox methods should be fine.

Archelon

Smash Journeyman
You can do the above, but there is another technique called PC Dropping, which let's you grab the ledge by moving towards the ledge, turning around at a specific point, and using your momentum to fall off and grab the ledge. It's very difficult for me, but IIRC it's the fastest method. However, waveshine-turn around and the shine-firefox methods should be fine.
If your right beside the ledge it is, if you have to run, the other one is.

Gobbleboners

Smash Rookie
I personally wavedash forward turnaround wavedash back, shine firefox just feels to slow to me.

KムエN

Smash Rookie
Dropzone (run off) into shine-turnaround into instant firefox.
Flick the stick backwards right before walking off ledge (you can wavedash out of your run to start walking).
Run to ledge, grounded shine-turnaround, then wavedash off (you can use jump-canceled shine if you're still in dash).
Run to ledge to teeter, dash in a bit, then wavedash off.
Run to ledge and turn around as you touch the edge without teetering, then wavedash off.
Edge-canceled Illusion into sweetspot ledgegrab Illusion (boss af).
Dropzone reverse Illusion.
Not sure which one's technically the fastest but they're all pretty good options. When I need some hitboxes, obviously I go with the first one. When I need pure speed I rely on the last two.

Last edited:

Schill

Smash Rookie
I'll just run towards the edge, cactuar dash, pivot, then wavedash off. If I'm feeling flashy I'll run off and illusion sweetspot

Klemes

Smash Journeyman
If done correctly, I'm pretty sure shine turnaround>firestall is the fastest.
And when you Wave-dash back to grab the ledge, don't forget to Fast Fall when you get past the ledge to grab it faster (just tap the control stick down then let it reset to neutral position : this way you input the FF, but you don't fall past the ledge since you're not holding down).

Schill

Smash Rookie
Just watched that video and that was actually tied with wavedash towards the edge whipe facing the edge and turning around while you still have momentum

Klemes

Smash Journeyman
Yeah it was interesting, like a WD PC drop. Gotta try and see if it's feasible. Also, who edge cancels jump ? What is life ?

Shine-turnaround>WD is probably best (out of the realistic options). I also think fox could cover that rind of distance a tad faster by surf dashing once or twice instead of running.

sam:)

Smash Cadet
i think that a friend (dingo) and i (sam) have discovered a new fastest grab ledge option from onstage

we all know that you can jump out of shine, but this has some cool implications when you have momentum near the ledge. if you running shine by the ledge, and right as you fall off jump out of shine, you'll fall off the stage while still in jumpsquat. if you use turnaround shine, you'll grab the ledge after you fall off.

i'm 99% sure this is fox's fastest ledgegrab option

EDIT: wow nvm just watched the video it's already been used. but it is the fastest :D

Last edited:

tauKhan

Smash Lord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62IDrqxCAPc
This shows all the fastest ways to get the ledge by frame from one side of FD to the other. The fastest being shine turnaround edge-cancelled jump at 69 frames.
The vid is old and is missing one of the fastest options (which might be the fastest actually): Wd -> smash turn -> wd back. It's my preferred method, esp. since it's applicable with basically every character. Shine turn wd is about as fast, but I find it harder personally.

There was also some sloppy parts in the vid. For example in the shine -> turn -> wd part he crouched before shine which isn't necessary. Also I'm pretty sure running isn't the optimal movement there, which might change the comparative swiftness of the different options.

Top Bottom