• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to get that pesky Gamecube Controller working in Project64KVE

DetectiveCharizard

Smash Rookie
Your probably reading this guide after countless times, failing to configure your preferred controller, the Gamecube Controller to Project64KVE to no avail. This guide will show you the simple steps to configuring your controller so you can finally jumpstart your 64 career.

DISCLAIMER
In some regions, Gamecube Controllers are banned from use. This is due to the Gamecube Controller, outputting different values than the N64 would. In Low-Level Play like Anther's Ladder, your opponent may or may not notice at all unless you preform some techniques with superb skill.

For the guide, I will be using the Official Gamecube Adapter for the Wii U. If your using a 3 Party Adapter (which has less accurate deadzones) then make sure you have the drivers properly installed to continue without a problem. If you would like to use the Official Gamecube Adapter instead of the 3 party adapter, you can find it a Gamestop for 10 dollars.

Feel free to ask any questions!

Step 1: Download the newest or newer version of N-Rage Input Plugin
First thing to do is to download N-Rage 2.3 from the link here:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/nragev20/files/Nrage%20v2/Nrage%20Input%20v2.3/NRage_Input_V2.3c.zip/download
If your curious about where the link came from:
http://forum.pj64-emu.com/showthread.php?t=2998

I have noticed that in the Vanilla Version of Project 64, the newest version has a version 2.4 of N-Rage. You can search it up for yourself but 2.3 works just fine.

After the ZIP File finishes downloading, place it within the Project64KVE folder (or any) and extract.

You should get a file named "NRage_Input_V2.dll "
Hovering over the file, you should see the details, and the version: 2.3.0.2
Keep this in mind.

Step 2: Updating your N-Rage Plugin
Within the Project64KVE Folder, you should see a Plugins Folder. Opening the folder, you will see the older version of N-Rage. Hovering over the file, the version is 1.83. Take this file out, trash it if you want, it's pretty outdated. Now place the newer version file within the plugins folder. Make sure it's the newer version. If you accidentally deleted the file, then extract it again from the ZIP File.

Step 2.5: Start the Gamecube Adapter Driver

Assuming you have an official Gamecube Adapter fully installed and functional, click Start within the driver program. If you have a 3 party device, then plug it in and turn it on. If you have the Gamecube Adapter but not the driver program, view the guide below.
Credit: Supreme on YouTube

The guide is intended for use in older versions of Dolphin but the main focus is properly installing the driver program.

Step 3: Configuring your Controller

When you launch Project64KVE an error will appear. Simply click "Ok" to continue.

In Project64KVE click "Options" then "Settings"

In Settings under Controller Plugin, select the newest plugin.

Click "Ok"

Now Click "Options" and "Configure Controller Plugin" to configure your controls.
And Boom! Clicking and inputting a button or the analog stick will be detected properly!

Open the ROM and try to configure the controls to a more familiar style.

And
uh
i don't really know how to end guides
so
that's all to it.

Last edited:

AU Ocelot

Smash Rookie
I did everything and it's still not working. I already have the driver because I use dolphin. It only works with the keyboard even though it configured itself. I tried everything, X input, plugged, both. Still nothing

Last edited:

voyaging

Smash Rookie
I did everything and it's still not working. I already have the driver because I use dolphin. It only works with the keyboard even though it configured itself. I tried everything, X input, plugged, both. Still nothing
If you're using the Mayflash adapter, flip the switch on the back of the adapter from Wii U to PC.

I had mine set to Wii U for the Smashladder Dolphin build and tried for ages to figure out how to get it to work in Project64. All I had to do was flip the switch.

Last edited:

AspectGD

Smash Rookie
I tried everything, It works and I am u8sing the smash ultimate adapter bundled in with smash collectors for europe and everything works but that 'pesky' analog stick. What do i do? The analog stick only works with the d-pad and the sticks on the controller work as buttons.

CbM_

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1723-7582-5511
Is project 64 the emulator that is the best for learning competitive 64?

Top Bottom