• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to fight the Robin MU?

Frostykeys

Smash Rookie
For some reason Robin seems to be the character I struggle against the most but I can't really figure out how to combat it.. I looked in the MU thread and I'm not sure they'll be going over Robin in great detail any time soon so can someone just help me with general tips and things to watch out for? I'll try and have a replay uploaded but I only have one.

KandiSAI

Smash Rookie
I as well had a hard time with Robin. However I've learned to overcome some players. Note that every player plays him different. As a falcon player, you do not need to be offensive all the time. Here is the time you'll learn the patience of a Falcon player. You strike when the opportunity presents itself. I'm not the best player when it comes to smash 4 but I've learn a lot through competitive plays and tournaments

Things we expect from Robin (Generally)

1) Arc Fire to Fair (Forward B to Fair)
2) Escape (Rolling or running away from you) usually to the edge of the stage, followed by Thoron (B move charged)
3) Spiking with the first Elwind (Up B)

Heres what to do for a few match ups.
1) If your opponent is spamming Arc Fire (Side B) followed by Fair, you can simply roll back or roll behind him, followed with a grab or smash attack since the animation is still going on for him. Be ready to jump because a missed Arc Fire can be followed by a Thoron (Neutral B)
2) If your opponent runs away and charges his B, you have to read what his intents are. You can be aggressive and make sure he doesn't run away to the edge to charge. But keep in mind, don't chase them like you have to catch him. You play it safe 100%, meaning don't make it obvious you are trying to run after him with a grab or dash attack or something.

Things to consider
1) NEVER, power shield a Robin player. You need great zoning and spacing because Arc Fire will trap you.
2) Process with jumps but not jumping into him. Jumps prevent his Thoron (Neutral B) from hitting you.
3) Since Robins frame data is higher than Falcons, you can easily out play him. You wait for him to make a move and you go in, do damage and get out.
4) NEVER let Robin have massive space between you and him. Keep a distance where you will be able to attack him during his attack lag (free punish).
5) If you get blasted off stage, be prepared for air dodging his Elwind (Up B). The first one spikes and the second won't kill you but simply damage you.

Games will sometimes get timed out at times but it's how you will learn to play. you overall, have to read what his repetitive habits are and try to out play it. Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Top Bottom