• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to fight Lucario?

Blazen

Smash Rookie
I can't seem to find an effective strategy of fighting him with any character I try.

Who is are some good characters to fight him and how would I go about fighting him with those characters?

AkashSky

Smash Apprentice
You are losing to lucario because your mechanics are probably not as good as your opponents. If you can fast fall,and L-cancel faster then your opponent, you will most of the time be the one comboing him instead of having lucario combo you. If you find yourself getting stuck in combos, experiment different DI tactics to help get out of them. Don't keep doing the same thing again and again, always keep trying something different, because if you are losing, there is SOMETHING you are doing wrong. By continually trying new things you can eventually find out what you are doing wrong and fix it.

PcTriumph

Smash Apprentice
I can't seem to find an effective strategy of fighting him with any character I try.

Who is are some good characters to fight him and how would I go about fighting him with those characters?
Buffer a roll.

But more seriously, characters that are good defensively are fairly good picks: Marth, Peach, Diddy (?), ect. but more importantly to beat Lucario you have to understand his pressure. Shielding is not a good idea if you don't know how he works; you're just going to get force palmed and followed up. Try spotdodging aerials/dash attack. Reading his down B is also a good option, most players are pretty predictable with it. If you're having trouble being ledgeguarded by aura bomb, try sweet spotting the ledge, stalling with whatever you have, or recovering high. If you are more specific in how you are having trouble, I'm sure it will be easier to help.

Blazen

Smash Rookie
I initially wanted a good starting point on how to fight him (a good character to pick)

More specifically the things I have trouble with are if he hits me one time on the ground I end up taking ~60 damage. dash attack->side-b so i can't shield anything

It seems like once I lose momentum I can't gain it back

I don't have a lot of trouble being edgegaurded anymore, I've found ways around the aura bomb.

PcTriumph

Smash Apprentice
Baiting the dash attack is pretty easy if they enjoy it, and you can buffer a roll out of any jab, dash attack, or tilt combo. Spot dodging grounded pressure is good as well since Lucario's moves are pretty laggy if they whiff and can't follow up with any cancels. I can't really recommend a character to you since matchups are still in the air but generally defensive characters seem to fare better than offensive characters.

Last edited:

bec

my tag is all lowercase
3DS FC
3454-1035-4185
along wiith what has been said, crouch cancel. he doesnt have a whole lot to deal with CCing except dtilt at higher percent. learn the range of his attacks and bait/WD away.

Top Bottom