• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to edgeguard spacie shortened side Bs?

UnluckyWizard

Smash Rookie
Often when I'm edgegaurding Falco and he's above stage I'll move back a tad bit to punish a side-B onto stage/platforms. However recently when I do this, the Falco/Fox just shortens it and drops to ledge. Any tips on how to cover this?

Abel SSB

Smash Cadet
You have to be in a place where you can cover both. Fair the normal side b and f smash the short side b.

Xxaz_v

Smash Cadet
I think you have enough time react to a shortened Sideb. So I think you can just stand on the platform and if they shorten it you can punish with a Fair->Dair or Netural B off the platform.

Hunybear

Smash Ace
Often when I'm edgegaurding Falco and he's above stage I'll move back a tad bit to punish a side-B onto stage/platforms. However recently when I do this, the Falco/Fox just shortens it and drops to ledge. Any tips on how to cover this?
Ok first off remember that Fox and Falco's recovery's are different. (despite them seeming identical) Fox's side be is a little slower and Falco's up B is way shorter and wont burn you on start up. Falco can't move vertically through the air like fox can. That's a big think when you're edge guarding and they have a double jump. Just keep that in mind.

Anyway so covering side-b is super important because it is the spacie's BEST recovery option. These are a few tips to keep in mind when covering side-B.
First stop backing up preemptively. Walk right up to the edge and cover the side-b on stage, edge grab and shorten all at the same time with double jab.
All that's left is for them to recover high with side-b. (Side-b high to get on stage is trash because they have to fall down into your loving arms.) Now you have to cover platforms if they do a high recover. They side-b on the top platform but that's a far way to go and you can read it like a book. punish with a up air -> f-smash or something. They can side-b to the platform your under but... your under it. They can platform cancel there side-b on the platform your under which is a pain to deal with when your not ready for it, but by the time they get it off you should be where there gonna land and punish. They can shorten High to try to trick you. That's super risky cuz if they don't your right under them ready to F-SMASH! or dunk for style.

Be patient and react. not predict.

Last edited:
Top Bottom