• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to Disable the Dock in Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger

godofrock72

Smash Cadet
Don't you hate it when you open an application like Photoshop and the Dock gets in your way? Do you just like to open applications the old-fashioned way by double-clicking the alias you made on the Desktop? Well I'm here to show you how you can fix all of this!

I know this works in Tiger, but I'm not sure if it works in Leopard or any other versions of Mac OS X. If you've done this in another version of OS X, please post here so I can confirm that it works.

So here's the steps:

1. Open up ~user/Library/Preferences/com.apple.plist in Property List Editor (if you don't have it, download it here).
  2. Click on the arrow next to "Root."
  3. Find where it says "orientation" and double-click to the left where it says "bottom," "left," or "right" depending on where your Dock is currently set.
  4. Replace "bottom," "left," or "right" with "top," log out, and log back in.
  5. Right click (control-click if you have a 1-button mouse) on the divider between the Trash and other folders and all of your applications.
  6. Click "Turn Hiding On."
If you want the Dock back:

1. Open System Preferences and click on "Dock."
  2. Click on the tick-mark next to "Automatically hide and show the Dock" so it is off.
  3. Where it says "Position on screen:" click "Left" then choose where you want to place the dock.
Disclaimer
Although I highly doubt this will do anything to your computer because it is just hiding the dock instead of getting rid of it, I am not responsible for any damage that is caused by using this guide.

Top Bottom