• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to DI Ivysaur's throws?

it's Papa

Smash Apprentice
I've played against several people who consistently fail to properly DI my down/up throw into up-B. They will then try to tell me that the setup is guaranteed and OP, when it clearly is not. I've been telling people to DI down throw away from me and to DI up throw behind me, is this correct? What other advice can I give people in the future about how to escape these setups?

FreeVelocity

Smash Rookie
Yeah, this is correct. I can't think of any characters that break this rule. The people you're playing with just aren't DI'ing right, play them more and they'll get used to it.

EmLeingod

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EmLeingod
up throw up-b is guaranteed on certain characters at certain percents, most of which are kill percents

I only think it's bigger characters though, DK, Bowser, D3, Zard, I think that's it.

NickLeo

Smash Apprentice
Uthrow is at a 100 deg angle where Dthrow is at 80 deg
Personally if I'm fishing for an upB then I usually Uthrow because it's much faster. Everytime I try to Dthrow, my opponent DIs away and I can't follow up. So if that answers you're question, Uthrow is only difficult for your friends to DI because it's really fast/unexpected, NOT guaranteed in any way (or on any characters at any percents)

Maybe next patch it will have a few more frames of start up lag to make it less spontaneous

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
It is guaranteed, depending on character + % + stage positioning. It also becomes scary if you need to watch out for Solarbeam, since DI away tends to set up for that very well.

LowKey

Smash Rookie
follow ups are pretty guaranteed, but that's the same with like every character no matter what. but yeah you are right with your statement

Top Bottom