• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to deal with Wii Fit Trainer?

-FUZZ-

Smash Rookie
Ran into one that wouldn't commit to anything. Salute the Sun charging and down-b at the edge of the stage constantly paired with Sm4sh's rolls and shields = I couldn't get to him :/ Tried using jabs, item tossed metal blades and crash bombs as well as spaced f-smashes but all could be blocked during his neutral b.

Crezyte

Smash Apprentice
If all of them were blocked, why didn't his shield break? I'm getting the feeling that you got annoyed and didn't keep up your projectile game, leading you to get punished. You could also use the stupid leaf shield against a sun salutation spammer because the shield will protect you from almost all sizes of sun salutation

Also, if he started blocking, you probably could go for a fully spaced jab to pressure him to block (since he had been doing that already) and going for grab/roll read on shield and a grab on roll reaction. Heck you could even walk just out of shield grab range to bait that out and punish that.

I don't think f-smash is something that you want to be using in neutral a lot as mega man though. Its really laggy and more of a read move than a neutral button, but that's just my 2 cents.

-FUZZ-

Smash Rookie
If all of them were blocked, why didn't his shield break? I'm getting the feeling that you got annoyed and didn't keep up your projectile game, leading you to get punished. You could also use the stupid leaf shield against a sun salutation spammer because the shield will protect you from almost all sizes of sun salutation

Also, if he started blocking, you probably could go for a fully spaced jab to pressure him to block (since he had been doing that already) and going for grab/roll read on shield and a grab on roll reaction. Heck you could even walk just out of shield grab range to bait that out and punish that.

I don't think f-smash is something that you want to be using in neutral a lot as mega man though. Its really laggy and more of a read move than a neutral button, but that's just my 2 cents.
no doubt i was getting frustrated but shield comes back pretty quickly in this game so i dont think that would have broken shield anyway but i understand where you are coming from. and maybe it was an exaggeration to say he blocked everything but if not blocked then it was spot-dodged. i didnt really think leaf shield had an application in the match up since i usually find it to be hard to use. i managed to get a lot of roll reads but only if i was turned already so grabs into forward airs or RAR'd back airs or up smash at low percents. i was chucking as many projectiles as i could though :/ i only tried f-smashes on his roll attempts. aside from that, it just seemed like cancelling neutral b charge with shield made it hard to get that hit in. thanks for the advice though. do you have a good amount of megaman practice under your belt or read up somewhere?

Crezyte

Smash Apprentice
I've played against a pretty good local megaman a couple times. I find that megaman's projectile game is so much stronger than wii fit's that it is really frustrating from my side of the matchup.

The one I play against is really good at controlling the space where I want to be and a lot of it is really just mental pressure. As in, I don't want to go somewhere because I know he is able to throw the gear right when I try to go there, so I get stuck in block and he sometimes just doesn't do anything and waits for the shield to deplete. Punishes on reaction. Its hard...

Meiwaku

Smash Rookie
That's kind of WFT's game- she dances around waiting for the opponent to make a mistake and then capitalizes with great speed, and can try to create opportunities with sun, ball, and breathing. Best approach (or at least the one that works against my WFT) is to just be patient- keep the pressure on, and don't get frustrated. Outside the two projectiles, WFT has little range and the projectiles are both pretty well telegraphed, don't let them get in your head. Also, her hitboxes are wonky, and you should know where you aren't safe (behind WFT, for instance).

I think WFT is highly underrated, and like other decent characters, the best way to learn the matchup is to learn more about the character.

bkslider

Smash Journeyman
Sounds like you just ran into a good player/someone who knows the mechanics well.

⑨ball

Smash Ace
If this was online, just go crazy on the spam. I hate to give out an "online strategy" but putting a character that relies on precision in a box of lag is like taking a character that relies on zoning and turning projectiles off.

Offline/local you may have to abandon any far-mid range zoning. WFT has good set of projectiles herself and can easily duck everything you can throw at a horizontal angle. Not to mention a fully charged SS will eat your projectiles, pass right through your forward smash and heal her a bit for free. The soccer ball will also negate any version of your forward smash. You'll most likely get more results if you switch between an aggressive style and threaten her space and then mid range zoning when she tries to protect it.

Top Bottom