• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to Deal With Rushdowns: Theory Crafting

flying_tortoise

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys so Mewtwo struggles with rushdowns
but that's like every mu xD, at least until you learn how to deal with em properly.
Each character has their own certain way to properly deal with rushdowns, and we need to figure out Mewtwo's proper way. So how about we help each other out, bounce ideas off each other.

Anyone have any ideas?
I just space nair and fade back, waiting for the opponent to mis-space and i can then get something from there...but that's if they gave me room. good ppl dont give you room..

Theory crafting.. For my scenarios I am using a C. Falcon who is right outside your fair zone.
spotdodge ->nair?
jab OoS is usually good for characters against rushdowns. But his jab is so punishable on shield.
Nair OoS and when he tries to punish your landing -> jab?
-with this tho you cannot wait for him to hit your shield, b/c good players will just grab you. so you have to do it right
what does everyone else think?

Hydreigon360

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hydreigon360
I'm not sure. Mewtwo jabs and aerials have good range to keep out rush down attackers being all over you. Otherwise I draw blank and can't think of anything specific or unique to Mewtwo.

flying_tortoise

Smash Journeyman
It seems that M2 will just get comboed.
So best to not get in the situation in the first place.
Using shadow balls to force opponent in air or grab them if they like to shield.
And as much I would like to say spacing aerials they have too much lag.
What I was doing was empty jump -> watching what opponent does and react punish it

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
a good way to way to keep the rush down at bay is to spam the small shadow ball, since that way they have to approach you diffirently!
also, mewtwo is a good character that can Grab OoS or UpSmash OoS

godogod

Smash Ace
Is it just me or is it much harder to land forward air than melee version. You go more forward at at a horizontal angle.. ehh Anyway, I don't use neutral air often. Trying to figure how to use it but after a spot dodge sounds logical. Gotta remember that.

Last edited:

CanadianMegaMan

Smash Apprentice
Depending on what I think my opponent is going to do, I have a few different reactions.

Against people who like to rush in and dash attack, I usually shield their dash attack and then punish with either disable if theyre in front of me, or ftilt if they are behind me. Sometime, I've been able to time a disable right before their dash attack hits and then ftilt/smash.

Against people who like to grab, I spot dodge, then either grab them, or jab combo into finisher.

Vs people who like to try and short hop aerials, I try and jab combo into finisher, or time a confusion into utilt. If I don't have time I try to block their aerial and punish with jab 1 into disable.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Teleport is your fiend. Horizontally, to the ground, diagonally, in place.

I like to shout "Olé!" When I successfully send someone rushing past me like an idiot using a well-timed Teleport.

NeonSpeed315

Smash Cadet
NNID
neonspeed325
This is how I did it:
Confusion stops their flow and messes up their combos/train of thought while rushing down.
SH retreating nair is good ifyou are in very close quarters. Or just in general.

Small shadowball spam will control the stage and/or your opponent.

Teleport helps you escape juggles or close quarters. Be careful, as doing this in air has major end/land lag.

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
so far I really enjoy side tilt,bair and shadow ball against rushdowns. d-tilt is great as well, but side tilt has a bit more range on it.

if i notice characters stricktly running at me, i sometimes go for disable. High risk but high reward :)

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Air dodging right past them or even doing a backwards one right into a Fair might screw em up. Only the Mewtwo knows where he is airdodging. Your opponent don't. Get it in their head you can airdodge in any direction at any time.

TheConfuZzledDude

Smash Cadet
NNID
ConfuZzledDude
3DS FC
1246-8704-7777
You can use teleport to escape any attack really easily. If you're on the ground just tp away, if you're in the air either tp to the ground or angle it so that you slide along the ground (gives you more space, but you can't act as fast as going straight to the ground), and if you're on a platform you can teleport wherever you want

BlazGreen

Smash Journeyman
Uncharged Shadow Ball makes it difficult for the likes of Falcon, Ganon and DK to get in. Also a fully charged, B reversed Shadow Ball is useful for escaping the corner when in the air.

Top Bottom