• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to deal with Link/TL/Samus Projectile Spamming

Jonarobin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PowerMiner
So lately on For Glory I've been doing pretty good, just playing 1v1s a lot and having a lot of fun. But lately, coming across Link, Toon Link, or Samus, I just can't seem to do anything against the onslaught of projectiles... I'm so done with fighting Links that use their projectiles together so much... I'm not making this thread to complain though, I just wanted to know...

What do you all do against these three?

By the way I play Robin, Greninja, Ness, Lucina, Bowser Jr., and Mario mostly. (Yeah I know it's a lot)

Any tips on what to do? I have tried shielding but it just seems as soon as I come out I'm not fast enough to react to any quick expected melee attacks...

Help?

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
For Mario the best thing to do is train at using your cape; in this regard it's his best defense.

As for Bowser Jr., projectile spam right back! Get proficient as using your B and Down+B together.

Otherwise I recommend taking a high ground, jumping in at angles and either going for a grab, quickly attacking straight on, or attacking from behind them, being weary of any surprise tilts, jabs, or smashes.

Senko Zero

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4940-5527-1789
The basic way to get in on projectile users in this game is dash and shield their projectiles to slowly work your way in. Once you get about mid range distance to them, that's when you prepare to gauge how they react to you getting close.

With those three specifically dash shielding loses a bit of effectiveness once you start to get closer as they can grab with their long range tethers, but if you catch on and bait it that's a hefty punish for you.

The main thing is seeing their comfort zones for throwing stuff. Mess with that and you disrupt their strategy and can do some heavy damage.

What Gameboi834 says about your characters is also very sound advice. Sadly I don't play any of those characters so I can't help there.

Jonarobin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PowerMiner
Thanks for the advice, both of you! I'll keep this in mind next time I run into these characters...

I just need to be more daring with dash shielding, and not get so caught up in being unsure what to do next when I'm at a certain distance to them.

As for Bowser Jr., I still haven't figured out the best way to spam with him, since his neutral b (cannon) is rather slow to firing long enough. I'll just have to practice more!

Duet

Smash Cadet
NNID
requiemlacrimosa
Yeah, I have been having this issue too. I have found that you just need to maintain a level head and get close to them as quickly as possible. Most of the time, the projectile spammers are complete garbage when it comes to playing close range, as their entire strategy usually relies on wracking up misc damage from people trying to inch their way forward but taking damage in the process, and then getting a lucky smash attack off for the kill. Just practice rushing them down as efficiently and quickly as possible and it will take away most of the frustration when fighting these types of players.

Ravengeance

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ravengeance
If you are far from them just jump the projectiles or roll, save your shield when there's no imminent threat. Try to keep calm and composed. Some players will become annoyed by projectiles and just start rushing in and taking damage to try to draw the enemy in close. Remember too that most projectile spammers will try to stay as far away meaning they will put themselves at the platform edge and will often times once you close in either try to roll past you or jump over you. So punish them as much as you can when you are in close quarters (assuming using a melee character). Don't be afraid to combo any projectile you have of your own with going in on them. Hope this helps some.

Disgaea D2

Smash Cadet
NNID
BlueDisgaeaD2
I'm a G&W and I have trouble with this. I can barely approach these people due to attacks having lagging lag (Dash Attack, Fair, Bair, etc.)and can be shield grabbed after the attack. I need help.

dahuterschuter

Smash Journeyman
By the way I play Robin, Greninja, Ness, Lucina, Bowser Jr., and Mario mostly. (Yeah I know it's a lot)
These all seem to have great tools for dealing with even the most hardcore spamnoobs other than Lucina. You can always switch to Jr and just keep planting Mecha Koopas to make them at least have to keep moving.

Other than that, just abuse how strong shielding is.

ZSaberLink

Smash Journeyman
Against Link and Toon Link, they actually have difficulty throwing projectiles diagonally up apart from the boomerang (thinking about Samus, I think that's the case too. Only a guided missile might be close). So if you can approach coming from that direction you should be able to breach them (think about a running Cpt. Falcon who has momentum and who has started a knee as an example).

Last edited:

Turrin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Turrin
3DS FC
4425-1919-5126
I know you didn't list him as one you play, but :4fox:. They would have literally NO option but to fight you up close. If they're shooting you, you can sit there with your reflector. If they're not, you shoot them with lasers so they have to approach you.
If you don't like Fox, though, the only help I can give is to vary approaches. Jump while approaching. Use your own projectile if you have one. One of the main reasons I main Fox is because I have the same problem as you.

Pauliwhop

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1993-9408-1614
I'm not sure if this has been presented before, but you can also go to ledge to bait them into a more neutral game. It's not always the best option but it's certainly an efficient one.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
As someone who plays Rosalina, when I see projectile spammers, I just chill and spam Gravitational Pull over and over until they force themselves to approach. As Mega Man, I just spam projectiles right back at them until they forces themselves to approach.

WolfieXVII ❂

stay woke
NNID
tresxvii
3DS FC
4699-5598-8215
Sigh
Projectile spammer scrubs give Link mains a bad name:054:
Rush them down, most likely they have no skill and will attempt to roll away and begin to spam again
Shieldgrabs are great, and if you have a projectile spam right back
I report spammers as well:062:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Playing as Pit and Palutena has made me pretty proficient with reflecting such tactics~ ;3

If you're playing a character that doesn't wield a reflect option, though, learn to powershield and plough your way through their wall of fire. Chances are, if they rely on projectile spam to keep you at bay, they'll panic and won't know how to react. It's just a matter of closing the gap and punishing them up close. If they try rolling behind you, punish that, too - Robin and Greninja's d-smash is great for punishing rolls, and both have decent projectile options themselves. Just practice getting close and sealing the deal the old-fashioned way. It'll become a matter of habit in no time, and then you'll be good to go next time you fight a player like that!

Jonarobin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PowerMiner
Thanks for all the advice but this was revived from 3 months ago xD

I think my main problem with samus was inexperience with the charge shot and the fact that Robin is pretty bad against Samus, also I had smash 3ds when I was having problems with this, I think I've improved with the WiiU version, probably.
I'm still not the best against Toon Link, but I'm doing better.

I should start playing For Glory again...

Conet

Smash Cadet
Learn to power shield projectiles. This is vital for match ups against characters that use projectiles for camping or approaching. Likewise, if you have trouble power shielding online, it is useful to jump over projectiles or use a positional move (Sheik Down-B, Diddy Monkey-Flip, and Bowser Jr. Down B) to punish their projectile.

Yorsh

Smash Apprentice
I play a lot Robin and It's one of the worst character to play against spammers IMO. Arcfire's range sucks and you can't charge your Neutral B against spammers. So you have to rush them, but Robin is too slow...
I usually rush them like a ******, get reck (or not, sometimes they really suck), don't recover, then go into the next game with a better character against them (I personnally pick Ike because I played a lot Ike vs toon link in Brawl).

Last edited:

Amiracle

Smash Apprentice
I feel like TL is the worst of them all simply because his Up Smash is very powerful and quick and his small hitbox pretty much negates any kind of approach from above. Link's Up smash is pretty awful and misses quite often and Samus simply doesn't have the same amount of kill power that TL does

I usually just Rush TL as much as possible. When you start getting really good they'll stop shooting the arrows and start throwing the bombs. That's when things get tougher...

darkrailink1 (dl1)

Smash Cadet
NNID
Dl1
3DS FC
2509-2107-2647
So lately on For Glory I've been doing pretty good, just playing 1v1s a lot and having a lot of fun. But lately, coming across Link, Toon Link, or Samus, I just can't seem to do anything against the onslaught of projectiles... I'm so done with fighting Links that use their projectiles together so much... I'm not making this thread to complain though, I just wanted to know...

What do you all do against these three?

Any tips on what to do? I have tried shielding but it just seems as soon as I come out I'm not fast enough to react to any quick expected melee attacks...

Help?
play toonlink and use his shield or use foxes shine :4tlink::4fox::4falco::4ness::4link:

ZSaberLink

Smash Journeyman
I feel like TL is the worst of them all simply because his Up Smash is very powerful and quick and his small hitbox pretty much negates any kind of approach from above. Link's Up smash is pretty awful and misses quite often and Samus simply doesn't have the same amount of kill power that TL does

I usually just Rush TL as much as possible. When you start getting really good they'll stop shooting the arrows and start throwing the bombs. That's when things get tougher...
That's because those Links aren't using their UTilts =). Link's UTilt is amazing. it's faster, and KOs at not much more than the USmash.

Against the Links, I'd learn how to powershield (at least offline). Online it's harder, but I see people do it.

Last edited:

darkrailink1 (dl1)

Smash Cadet
NNID
Dl1
3DS FC
2509-2107-2647
That's because those Links aren't using their UTilts =). Link's UTilt is amazing. it's faster, and KOs at not much more than the USmash.

Against the Links, I'd learn how to powershield (at least in person). Online it's a bit harder, but I see people do it.
i like ur mains lol

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Well, since I mostly use :4rob: online, I can usually counter their spam with spam of my own or just approach with powershielding and spaced Nairs. And if I'm up against a Samus who I know is thirsty for a Charge Shot kill (see: all of them), I'll be ready to pull a juicy Arm Rotor reflect kill anytime (same with any other character with a chargeable projectile). When you main an anti-zoning character like I do, these matchups are easy. Otherwise, I'd say just try to master the timing of the glorious powershield and punish them, or out-camp them if you can.

Top Bottom