• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How To Deal With Invincibility Frames?

Duplighost

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-5360-8490
Little Mac has drove me insane with his invincibility frames upon triggering a smash attack. I don't find it fair that he has the ability to not be damaged, but still can unleash a powerful attack that overrides everything coming at him. I faced a very good user with Little Mac on For Glory today, who foxtrotted and spaced himself perfectly to KO me 90% of the times we battled. Despite the fact that I perfect pivoted, dodged, and tried to play safe, his moves were so aggressive it was overbearing (he also did his down tilt and KO punched me a couple times too).

My main is Sheik, and despite how many aerials I punish with I am always hit by his smash attacks due to the invincibility frames. How can I deal with this? Does any characters' moves "break through" the invincibility frames at all? Looking back at my battle, I still can't find an efficient way to punish Little Mac due to his speed and strength. If you have any tips on how to handle him, it would be much appreciated.

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
I should first note that these invincibility frames are called super armor. Basically, if you hit little mac with a move when his smash attack is about to become active, he'll take the damage, but not flinch. Little Mac mains are well practiced in knowing when opponents will throw out moves for spacing so that they can be punched through.

You may be wondering why little Mac is so eager to take damage this way. The truth is, getting hurt is extremely beneficial to Little Mac. It charges up the KO meter much more than when he deals damage, he becomes more difficult to combo off of the stage, he gets rage mode, which benefits all of his KO moves so that he can kill even earlier. And when he's launched by a powerful attack, he'll get sent farther, but higher. Mac has no chance recovering from attacks that send from horizontal angles.

There is one type of move that always, 100% goes through super armor, and it's definitely the bane of Little Mac - Grabs. Super armor does not protect him from grabs, or attacks that grab the opponent, like Bowser or Diddy's Side B. And if Mac is panicking and spamming his counter, grab will get through that as well. Try incorporating more grabs the next time you fight Mac. They're never fool proof, but neither is anything in this game. If you mindlessly approach with dash grabs, Mac can hold his jab button to protect himself.

Last edited:

earla

Smash Lord
ya not fair little macs too good. obviously S tier. try harder next time.

Duplighost

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-5360-8490
I should first note that these invincibility frames are called super armor. Basically, if you hit little mac with a move when his smash attack is about to become active, he'll take the damage, but not flinch. Little Mac mains are well practiced in knowing when opponents will throw out moves for spacing so that they can be punched through.

You may be wondering why little Mac is so eager to take damage this way. The truth is, getting hurt is extremely beneficial to Little Mac. It charges up the KO meter much more than when he deals damage, he becomes more difficult to combo off of the stage, he gets rage mode, which benefits all of his KO moves so that he can kill even earlier. And when he's launched by a powerful attack, he'll get sent farther, but higher. Mac has no chance recovering from attacks that send from horizontal angles.

There is one type of move that always, 100% goes through super armor, and it's definitely the bane of Little Mac - Grabs. Super armor does not protect him from grabs, or attacks that grab the opponent, like Bowser or Diddy's Side B. And if Mac is panicking and spamming his counter, grab will get through that as well. Try incorporating more grabs the next time you fight Mac. They're never fool proof, but neither is anything in this game. If you mindlessly approach with dash grabs, Mac can hold his jab button to protect himself.
Thanks! This was really helpful!
At about what percent is Little Mac's KO meter punch guaranteed to kill an opponent?

Top Bottom