• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to deal with G&W?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dumpabump

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5258-0829-4421
This guy seems a bit tricky for me.

Anyone have any tips for this Matchup?

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
G&W infuriates me, not because he's a bad match-up or anything, but his hitboxes are just so weird that he's hard to beat out.

Don't get grabbed. It can set you up for some pretty early cheese kills if they draw a 9 hammer, and his throws are great for setting up for follow ups. Bacon is pretty annoying, it basically creates a space directly in front of and slightly above G&W that stops Dedede from properly approaching.

Mainly we want to abuse our disjoints in this match. Ftilt is a godsend because it out ranges pretty much everything he does and allows us to poke at him from a safe distance. Once he's in the air, we just want to juggle him. He's super light, so he'll die early from a well placed bair.

Never drop in from above unless you want to get hit by the diving helmet. That usmash has armor properties that stop us from safely landing on it. Besides that, he can keep us floating up in the air with his uair, it's not a pleasant spot to be in.

I'm pretty sure Dedede beats Gdubs solidly, we just have to respect his personal space and poke and prod at him until we get an opening to go in. Once we do get in Dedede beats him, either because we got an early kill from a smash or we got him off-stage where he does not want to be at all.

Dumpabump

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5258-0829-4421
I don't seem to have problems with the dthrow to hammer. I can always get out of that, but they adapt and do an up tilt to sh nair and that hurts. Is there any way to get out of that?

Yea the bacon is pretty frustrating. Should I stay back and wait for an approach?

Ill try and stay away from being above. I just find it kind of hard to approach

Thank you for the advice!

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
Unfortunately Dedede is pretty easy to juggle out of most characters' utilts, G&W's included. The only thing I can think of, without going into the lab to do some tests, is to DI away from him. You might try mixing up your DI if they start adapting to it.

He's pretty committed to throwing bacon so the only thing you really can do is just wait it out.

Another thing I failed to mention is that Dedede's jab is pretty good for spacing too. Not quite as good of a reach as ftilt, but you could probably jab cancel into a grab for example. Dtilt is also a good "GTFO" move if you need to create some space, just be wary cause it isn't very safe on shield.

Dumpabump

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5258-0829-4421
Alright, thank you. I'll try that next time I'm up against one.

Another thing I was thinking was between the up tilt and nair, maybe I would be able to get out a nair of my own? Idk, G&W's disjoint might out prioritize it but I'll try it

Alright I'll wait it out, thank you!

I do use the 1 and 2 jab a lot to pull people in. I didn't really try it against G&W because if I got caught in lag I'd get punished hard

Thank you again for the advice

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Thing i noticed about Jiggs/Mew2/G&W although if you are facing one that is very good majority of the time just end up beating them because they are sooo damn light.

Even if they are wrecking you do will just hit you into rage and they are done for...
One smash attack they are finished..unless they are like playing super campy the whole match..then i dont care who wins i just want the match to end so i can fight sum1 else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom