• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to deal with a potentially salty/toxic meta?

Ax^2

SANIC SPED
NNID
BlueBlur97
Hey guys. So i moved over to Louisville, KY from Dallas, TX and was looking for the smash scene to be a part of it because I got addicted to playing frendlies at Shockwave Smash. I joined the discord chat for BSS, but if what i heard is true, the weekly tournament scene nearest to me in jtown seem to be very salty and show hate towards people who use high tier characters. It's a "of course you won you're using a high tier" type of bs. Thing is that I main sonic, and I never had to deal with high tier hate (well... im used to sonic hate, but not high tier hate and CERTAINLY not both). What do you guys do to deal with this kinda stuff? Something you say or do?

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Here's a video, Omni, cool and awesome dude (When it comes to talking about Smash Bros)

KirbCider

Smash Ace
I've never really been to any Tournaments, or even any Smash gatherings for that matter so I'm not sure if I could help much.

I will say if there's a group with an attitude like that I'd rather avoid it, or at the very least try to find another one. Being around salty people all the time wouldn't be very fun, and if you use a character everyone hates there you'll possibly become "That guy" in the group (as in one they give the most **** to, which won't be very fun the more it happens). Then again, it is also "What you heard" about it as well...

Always take what you hear lightly until you see it for yourself. If you really want to attempt it then go for it, and if they show they really are that way then the best thing to do would be to possibly deal with it until you're ready to go. After that, just find another place that's not full of salty players who gripe about what character you use. It may suck, but it's better than hearing constant, ridiculous complaints.

If anything, you can always bring some salt with you and whenever they complain you can eat it while keeping eye contact with them.

(The last line is a joke obviously)

Last edited:

Ax^2

SANIC SPED
NNID
BlueBlur97
See the thing is im the type of guy that enjoys the thrill of competition and have a desire to beat people who i assume to be better than me. Thats where my enjoyment comes from. I dont want to stop going to tourneys because of salt/hate. I will try to convince people and change their mentality instead.

Of course if that doesnt work, i wont be "that guy", i'll be "one of those guys" as there are people who use high tiers and already get hate on, most of whom are very skilled. I know absol goes there for example and won the last one. Dont know if he gets the hate, but oh well it still has yet to be confirmed that its true.

Last edited:

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Tell them to get good and go **** themselves.

KirbCider

Smash Ace
See the thing is im the type of guy that enjoys the thrill of competition and have a desire to beat people who i assume to be better than me. Thats where my enjoyment comes from. I dont want to stop going to tourneys because of salt/hate. I will try to convince people and change their mentality instead.

Of course if that doesnt work, i wont be "that guy", i'll be "one of those guys" as there are people who use high tiers and already get hate on, most of whom are very skilled. I know absol goes there for example and won the last one. Dont know if he gets the hate, but oh well it still has yet to be confirmed that its true.
I'm slightly the opposite.

While I do enjoy a good challenge and hope to find people equal to my skill level or slightly higher my main focus is wanting to have fun. Games are meant to be enjoyed after all, and if I'm gonna be around people with a toxic, salty attitude all the time that did nothing but complain I'm not gonna find any enjoyment out of it. If I wanted something like that I'd just stick with For Glory all the time.

Heck, it's why I stopped playing as Bayonetta for a while. My friends complained about her and the salt/rage-quits I got on For Glory were unimaginable. She became less fun because of it, but now that she's been mega nerfed I feel like it'll be okay to use her again.

And you don't have to stop going to ALL tournaments. We were talking about the Weekly Tournament Scene you heard about. Not all Tournaments are going to be salt mines, but again if what you heard about that specific scene is accurate I honestly wouldn't want to go again. I want to have a good experience, enjoy myself, and make friends too. I get enough salt thrown all over me Online, and wouldn't want salt thrown at me in person either. I could try to be friendly and help them, but some people cannot be reasoned with.

I suppose it depends on how willing you are to deal with attitudes like that. It'll be easy to brush it off the first few times but it may end up wearing on you the more it happens. But again, like I said in my first post it's what you heard about them anyways. It could be entirely different now and take what you hear lightly. Give it a try or two, but if you encounter nothing but salt from countless people no matter what I wouldn't advise going again and just find somewhere else. It's what I would do anyways since I want fun and enjoyment.

Last I checked, salt isn't exactly fun when it's poured on you 24/7.

Last edited:

Ax^2

SANIC SPED
NNID
BlueBlur97
Yep that's definately true. Im just going to rely on my brick wall of patience to get me through the first few events (im very patient and insensitive lol). For glory salt lmao.

Top Bottom