• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to cover ledge getup options as pikachu?

thomas4america

Smash Cadet
What do you guys like to do to cover getup options while your opponet hangs on the ledge? I can't think of much other than SH Dairing around and reading either normal getup or roll with Fsmash.

O Hobbit

Smash Cadet
If they jump into the stage > up-air, dair, nair or even a thunder. You need to know if they're going to throw out a hitbox or use a defensive option and then chose the best punish option

If they jump in front of the stage (characters like Pikachu or Diddy that have a special with great mobility might pick this option to get back to the stage) > out-stage fair, or wait to see their action and then punish (since they can't retreat to the ledge, they're probably doing something laggy, in which case you can punish with Pikachu great mobility).

If they do a regular get up > f-smash, f-tilt, dash grab, dair. Normally they do a regular get up when there's some space between us and the ledge, which makes them feel safe to just do a regular get up. In this case, I normally try to see their reaction after the get up and then punish. At first, people will usually shield (punish if grab), spot dodge (punish with many pika-stuff, like up-smash, f-smash, grab or dair) or roll (punish with dash grab, up-smash, f-smash) after the regular get up, and after they notice they're getting punished they'll try to incrise their mix ups by throwing ou hit-boxs (just wait and then punish, or use a f-smash) or jumping (start a aerial string, or run and do an up-smash as they jump).

If they roll > dair, f-smash, grab, up-smash. They usually roll when we are right above the ledge, specially if we're throwing out hitboxs (like the rapid jab or tilts). Since Pikachu has a small ending lag on his tilts/jab, we have more than enough time to run and punish the roll.

Overall, Pikachu does not have a move that covers every single option of the oponent (dair is probably our best option if we're just guessing). However, he has the mobility and fast moves to quickly switch between ledge-cover options, and he has great punishes at all %, since he can combo out of a grab, aerial, or tilt, and can kill with a smash attack.

Just try to condition your opponent into doing what you want, and then pick the best punish you can think off.

Zeth444

Smash Apprentice
You are Pikachu, how they got in the ledge?

But serious now, I do Dair to cover both normal and jump getups. If I think they will Normal or Roll getup, I space a Fsmash (on characters with short rolls) or Dsmash (but it gives the opponent a chance to do a get up attack.)

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
I don't really trust dsmash against normal get ups. They can actually recover fast enough to power shield between the hits, then punish you hard.

Coro_

Smash Apprentice
I believe ac dair right near the ledge covers normal getup, ledge attack and roll, so you can try that.

Shaymin slicker

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shadowshaymin
3DS FC
1547-5202-1903
Normally I just D-Smash, N-air, F-air, and D-air. B-air is probably a good option for get up attacks, but I don't trust it too much.

Don't rely on D-Smash too much. Sometimes your opponent will get up and shield all of the hits in time and then punish you.

Top Bottom