• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to buffer b-turnaround SHTL from short hop

BigmouthCreator

Smash Rookie
So the boards are dead... again... so in hopes that I could spark maybe a little discussion, I'll tell ya'll something obscure I found a while ago that I hope isn't already known.

HOW TO BUFFER B-TURNAROUND SHTL:
Some Foxes practice a technique that allows them to jump in one direction while shooting two lasers in the other.
Unfortunately, the timing for shooting the second laser "silently" (by which I mean the second laser flies low enough to hit small characters like Kirby and Pikachu) is really strict and no one really does it consistently. So it would be more ideal in those situations to short hop triple laser because that always fires a silent laser. You can do it out of an RAR but that requires a bit of running space so you don't dash dance, making it impractical sometimes.
So I found out with a little experimenting that you can buffer a b-turnaround from shorthop without inputting an illusion. It requires a very slight tilt of the control stick, kinda like if you're buffering an Uair out of SH.
You can find the slight tilt you need to do this trick if you SHTL repeatedly and push the control stick lightly enough so that Fox moves ever so slightly while SHTLing. This tilt WILL input a B-turnaround if you try it.

This means the inputs for this tech are:
>>>Smash control stick horizontally to input a dash
>>>Press and release the jump button to short hop
>>>While Fox is in the 5 frame short hop startup lag (1/12 second) LIGHTLY tilt control stick the opposite direction you dashed
>>>While Fox is still in aformentioned Short Hop startup, Press B to buffer a B-turnaround laser (that means two controller inputs during these 5 frames)
>>>Press B to fire a second aerial laser
>>>Press B to fire a third aerial laser

This takes a lot of practice to do without inputting an illusion. I can upload videos for proof of the tech if anybody requests :)

I know this is sorta of needlessly technical thing to do but I just wanted to share what I found. I hope all Foxes can unite at least once more before Sm4sh comes out :D

RPK

Smash Lord
the way I personally though mine is pretty similar
Dash
short hop and tap the other direction at the same time, and let go of the analog stick to avoid illusioning. (Fox will still be facing the direction he was dashing in if were going through this one step at a time.)
Laser 3x (If the laser is put in fast enough he'll turn around because of how the engine works.)

You could also be really lazy and just RAR SHTL because Fox still turned around. He's also keeping the momentum that he gained from the dash so you could use that to perform retreating SHTL. Its also a lot more consistent and a lot less dangerous...Yes, you wont be able to get as many repetitions in before you reach the edge of the stage because of waiting for the turn around animation from dashing, but its still a lot easier to perform.

BigmouthCreator

Smash Rookie
Yeah, I really don't use this much at all, unless I took a stock and I start showing off before they return to the stage. If anything, I just thought it was interesting.

Top Bottom