• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to body a Dedede with Palutena.

Super FOG

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FOG2006
3DS FC
4253-3752-2801
Dedede is, for Sakurai-esque reasons, a character that is giving me a pretty salty time, I can barely punish his rolls, his gordos and his infuriating air mobility (I wonder who was the moron that said Dedede is bad in this game). Is there anything that Palutena can do in terms of combos, punishes and assure the KO against Dedede?

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Reflect his Gordos.

Be wary of his disjoints.

Never challenge his smashes.

If you have to land, aim for the edge.

That's the basic stuff. What you need to remember here is that Dedede can be difficult to approach, due to his Gordos and disjoints, but he's combo food if you can get in on him. Dash attack and b-air are totally invincible, which can make for a good approach if he's determined to stonewall you. Jab1 -> d-throw can set up for n-air or u-air, both of which can catch him easily with his massive hurtbox.

Off-stage, you can try to reflect his Gordos or go for a n-air or b-air to stage-spike, or you can just aim to ledgesnap with Warp so he can't hit you. Be sure to mix up your recovery trajectory so he can't read and intercept you. If you have to edgeguard him, same rules apply; if he recovers, wait 'til he lands and then punish with an aerial.

Dedede is a good defensive character, but he's vulnerable to combos if you can get in his face. Just be patient and exploit him whenever you can catch up to him.

Maraphy

Smash Ace
NNID
Marraph
3DS FC
3780-9036-1349
^ That, plus keep in mind your projectile beats his. If you start an Auto Reticle before he attempts to toss a gordo, your AR will likely hit his gordo back at him. Lots of moves can deflect Gordos actually. A really odd one is U-smash; one time I hit a gordo with the upper part of it, and it sent the gordo at a downward angle for some reason ?? (and hit him while he was recovering and he died, it was beautiful)

(Also, this fight can kind of show you how annoying us Palutenas must be to fight, as one of Dedede's common tactics is a D-throw -> aerial true combo that he'll likely use any time he shields your approach. When he does this it's best to jump away to avoid eating a second aerial)

Super FOG

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FOG2006
3DS FC
4253-3752-2801
Thanks for the tips :)

I'm hating fighting Dedede in this game, I wonder why people calls him a bad character, I always fought troublesome Dededes because I hate most of his aspects. Even with my other characters I'm having a hard time against Dedede.

MysteriousSilver

Smash Ace
Press B every time you see him start up a Gordo from a fair distance away. It's hilarious how well AR works against him. If you get him during start up, you can stun him with one shot while another reflects a Gordo into him guaranteed.

Outside of that I don't have much D3 experience so I won't say anything else.

Silleby

Smash Rookie
^ That, plus keep in mind your projectile beats his. If you start an Auto Reticle before he attempts to toss a gordo, your AR will likely hit his gordo back at him. Lots of moves can deflect Gordos actually. A really odd one is U-smash; one time I hit a gordo with the upper part of it, and it sent the gordo at a downward angle for some reason ?? (and hit him while he was recovering and he died, it was beautiful)

(Also, this fight can kind of show you how annoying us Palutenas must be to fight, as one of Dedede's common tactics is a D-throw -> aerial true combo that he'll likely use any time he shields your approach. When he does this it's best to jump away to avoid eating a second aerial)
From my experience, the gordow pretty much always goes back onto DDD after getting hit. A buddy of mine plays DDD and it flys back at him like 95% of the time, it's silly
Don't try to gimp Dedede, execept you're somehow able to get a guaranteed spike which'll kill him. D3''s pretty much not gimpabable, due to his jumps, weight and stupid height + super (or heavy? idk) armor on UpB which doesn't even get hit by UpSmash (Tho if he UpBs on the stage, you can actually beat it with Counter, OP OP). All it might result in is you getting spiked or gimped yourself. If you constantly SH Fair|Bair, there's pretty much nothing he's able to do, also, as said already, don't even TRY to punish a Smash if you shielded it, which wasn't a powershield.

Last edited:
Top Bottom