• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to beat Pikachu

Status
Not open for further replies.

gittyking

Smash Rookie
I can't beat pikachu for the life of me, I feel like I'm a decent player. But every time I play a pikachu I get 2-0d. All he has to do is crouch under my grabs and approach with thunder jolts then grab me, He has perfect frame data and is extremely hard to punish, I need help with the matchup. I play Marth, captain falcon, and diddy kong

phili

Smash Apprentice
NNID
phili11
First off, Pikachu does not have perfect frame data. It's good, but not nearly as good as sheik, mario, luigi, etc.

Second off, Captain Falcon gets absolutely destroyed by Pikachu, as Pikachu can crouch under a lot of Falcon's attacks and also edgeguard him very effectively.

Pikachu also edgeguards Diddy and Marth very well, but both of these characters have tools they can use to compete with Pikachu.

For Diddy, watch the videos of MVD vs. ESAM that are on youtube (there are a lot of them). Notice his spacing, use of SH fair, and banana positioning. Diddy Kong can kill Pikachu fairly early with banana toss > fsmash, or dtilt > fair, bair, or usmash. The key here is to maintain stage control and not get sent offstage, because a good Pikachu will kill you the second you try to upB (as seen in many of those videos I mentioned).

For Marth, I suggest trying to zone the Pikachu out. You have a sword, and Pikachu has almost no range on any of his attacks outside of fsmash and thunder jolt. Sword characters have been a struggle for Pikachu throughout Melee and Brawl, and they seem to cause him some minor problems in this game too. Again, always pay attention to where you are in the stage. Try to keep stage control and always be near the centre of the stage unless you have Pikachu offstage.

I hope some of this helps

gittyking

Smash Rookie
First off, Pikachu does not have perfect frame data. It's good, but not nearly as good as sheik, mario, luigi, etc.

Second off, Captain Falcon gets absolutely destroyed by Pikachu, as Pikachu can crouch under a lot of Falcon's attacks and also edgeguard him very effectively.

Pikachu also edgeguards Diddy and Marth very well, but both of these characters have tools they can use to compete with Pikachu.

For Diddy, watch the videos of MVD vs. ESAM that are on youtube (there are a lot of them). Notice his spacing, use of SH fair, and banana positioning. Diddy Kong can kill Pikachu fairly early with banana toss > fsmash, or dtilt > fair, bair, or usmash. The key here is to maintain stage control and not get sent offstage, because a good Pikachu will kill you the second you try to upB (as seen in many of those videos I mentioned).

For Marth, I suggest trying to zone the Pikachu out. You have a sword, and Pikachu has almost no range on any of his attacks outside of fsmash and thunder jolt. Sword characters have been a struggle for Pikachu throughout Melee and Brawl, and they seem to cause him some minor problems in this game too. Again, always pay attention to where you are in the stage. Try to keep stage control and always be near the centre of the stage unless you have Pikachu offstage.

I hope some of this helps
Thanks dude

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom