• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to beat Marth?

TimeMuffinPhD

PhD in time travel and muffins.
NNID
TimeMuffinPhD
I'm a Wolf main and I'm having trouble vs a Marth who really knows what he's doing. I would like to know Marth's weaknesses and what sort of approach I should take if I want to beat him. I secondary Mario and Fox, which I believe both are better matchups. This Marth seems to be very grab heavy, and he combos one of his grabs (not sure which one) into an F-Smash which usually kills me. Perhaps I'm not DI'ing correctly. Any help I'd appreciate, thanks.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
As Wolf? I have no idea. Probably need to laser and bait out attacks. The better question would be what specific problems do you encounter? Stuff like doo you tend to get shield grabbed a lot? etc

I've done Marth vs Wolf, and I know what Marth should be going for and what he can accomplish (since Wolf is basically another Spacie). Not too sure what Wolf should do in neutral to be successful though.

KinGly

Smash Journeyman
Don't try to go mario vs Marth. That's Mario's worst matchup. I've been looking for a secondary to counter him.

Mario just gets boxed out by a good Marth, and Marth has a lot of options against fireballs.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I dunno if that is his worst. It's hard to think of his truly bad MU's, since most Mario players aren't truly close to optimal for their punish games and they still manage to do OK.

WhiteKnight

Smash Cadet
NNID
Stealthfox2
he probably down throws into an fsmash.....

as for how to beat a Marth with Wolf?
laser until you get an opening.... don't try and take him head on.... your simply to slow to be effective against him.
however, if you can bait him into countering prematurely you can punish him very hard.
if you want a good secondary against Marth: Fox is a good choice and so is Samus+ZSS

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Samus is a pretty decent choice. I dunno about ZSS, sounds like more work

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
I wouldn't call ZSS a counter to Marth. She's incredibly mobile, but she has to commit pretty hard to anything that can challenge Marth's range and has to work for kills. Even maybe, but I don't think it's advantageous for ZSS.

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
ZSS has an easier time edgeguarding Marth than vice versa, plus transcendent projectile makes approaching a bit more problematic for Marth. I can't say for sure whether she has an advantage or not, but I really don't like playing that matchup.

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
You can also dd or dash + shield them. Shielding and PSing them is probably the best method if they aren't approaching alongside the projectile

KinGly

Smash Journeyman
You can also dd or dash + shield them. Shielding and PSing them is probably the best method if they aren't approaching alongside the projectile
I always forget about PSing, I'm bad at the timing of it and forget that its in the game.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Yeah. An underutilized option is canceling a dash with shielding. You can PS projectiles easier with some characters that way, especially Marth since he tends to duck lower with his run/dash

Top Bottom