• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to beat Mario

Qazzquimby

Smash Cadet
Posting on behalf of friend (I'm the Mario).
He was virtually helpless against fireball spam, both specially timed shots and a general smothering of the map. I found most of his attacks easily avoided, especially with fireball pressure, and managed open with smash attacks much of the time. He also couldn't really edgeguard me, since I mixed up is fairs and fsmash with capes, and he never stopped me from approaching from below. My dash attack also popped him up for a combo way too easily and frequently.

Any idea what he could do differently? I was pretty quick to punish just about anything he did.

GeZ

Smash Lord
He can Nair/ Fair through fireballs. As long as he stays on your ass it's not an issue for him. Also shield grabbing will stop all dash attack spam, smash spam, fireball-braindead follow up spam, etc.

GreySmash

Smash Rookie
Also a small amount of skill with the timing of QD can go a long way. Mario's fireballs are slow enough and have a large enough vertical range to QD through and punish Mario with. Just have to watch the trajectory of one or two and then attack and you'll probably catch him off guard.

MLGF

Smash Lord
Maneuver around the fireballs and punish Mario with fairs and then just guard the edge.
Guard it like your life depends on it.
Likely will.

Seriously though, Ike really beats Mario offstage, so a large part of it comes from just playing it really safe and punishing Mario's projectile game whenever possible. Ike gets a lot off a hit against the good plumber.

Last edited:

RecklessGreen

Smash Rookie
It's kind of tricky taking on Mario. Just don't spam Side B's too often when he can use his cape. The best advice I can give is, keep fighting until you can think a few strategies to beat him. Mario isn't Close Quarter, so you have that advantage.

Top Bottom