• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

how to beat ganondorf?

WhiteKnight

Smash Cadet
NNID
Stealthfox2
I play :marth: who i think is a pretty good matchup against :ganondorf: however my friend combos flame choke with ganondorffs down special and can rack up damage extremely quickly if i let my guard down for even a second. if there are any tips on how to beat ganondorf you guys have i would much appreciate it.

we usually play on pokemon stadium 2 if that helps at all...

Electric Tuba

Smash Journeyman
The Marth/Ganon match up seems pretty even to me, maybe a little toward Marth. You can try to spotdodge/wavedash backwards/jump on reaction when they try to flame choke; if you can avoid it it's very easy to punish. You might even be able to just f-smash him out of it, but I'm not 100% sure. Try it :)

Ganon is a punishing character, he capitalizes on mistakes very well with lots of damage. Be careful about your spacing and stay at your max range (you probably know this). I'm not a Marth main, but I'd also try playing against Ganon on very small stages like Yoshi's Story. I played a Marth there the other day and got wrecked hard, throw to fsmash on the edge is brutal :p

His recovery is also easy to gimp, a hop of the stage > dair will usually be safe for you.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
just remember that you don't have to approach ganon. he has no way to make you actually come to him, so if you have the life/stock lead, milk it and make him deal with your pressure and anti approach options.

he also has to commit rather hard to options, due to his lower mobility. all of his burst mobility options leave him open if he whiffs (or if they're blocked, if blockable), so if you get a read on them, you should get a good punish out of it.

and make sure to punish well. he's large and sits in a pretty good combo weight/fall speed group, so you should be able to get some solid damage in and possibly get him off the stage, where his recovery is solid, but still easy to gimp by just putting a hitbox in the way.

mostly, just remember that marth can control the pace of the match better than ganon can, so don't overextend yourself. as you've said, ganon hits really hard and can put on a lot of damage quickly.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Protip : don't let your guard down. If Ganondorf damages you too much with his attacks then don't get hit.

No but seriously if you're always getting hit by the same thing you should ask yourself some basic questions :
-If he can consistently flame choke you aren't you shielding too much or throwing out unsafe moves ?
-If he always manages to wizkick you aren't you being too predictable with your techs ? Do you even tech ?

Ganon's side B is a gimmick that is very strong until you adapt to it, kinda like Mewtwo's TP in that there are some general strategies that will get straight out beaten by it.

Learn what zoning, practice zoning Ganon and you'll be fine.

WhiteKnight

Smash Cadet
NNID
Stealthfox2
i actually just learned about teching this morning so i think that might help me a little bit...
im probably too predictable as well.... as im used to countering moves (which you cant do on ganondorfs flame choke!!!

Thanks for the advice so far!!!

Electric Tuba

Smash Journeyman
If you can learn to tech flame choke every time you can avoid a whole lot of really damaging otherwise guaranteed follow-ups, especially from aerial flame choke..

VashEXE

Smash Rookie
i actually just learned about teching this morning so i think that might help me a little bit...
im probably too predictable as well.... as im used to countering moves (which you cant do on ganondorfs flame choke!!!

Thanks for the advice so far!!!
Teching behind him will completely negate the Wizard Kick follow up, but if you get too predictable and start teching behind him every time he will start adapting and punish you other ways.

As a Marth player you should really limit your Counter usage. It's nice whenever you land them, but they are super risky and against a character like Ganon it's probably not worth the risk since you can punish with lots of other moves.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
That's wrong, since wizkick can be B reversed Ganon can chase you if you tech roll behind him. It's mostly about varying your techs between rolls and teching on place, but you can also go for mindgames and not tech then stand up manually.

VashEXE

Smash Rookie
That's wrong, since wizkick can be B reversed Ganon can chase you if you tech roll behind him. It's mostly about varying your techs between rolls and teching on place, but you can also go for mindgames and not tech then stand up manually.
I stand corrected, although I've never played a Ganon that has done that haha.

I'll have to mess around with B reversal stuff to mix up my tech chases!

Top Bottom