• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to bait shield for easy break

Kernelcapi

Smash Rookie
Ryu's shield break is very unique to say the least. It comes out pretty slow, opponents can unshield before the shield breaking hitbox comes out and it doesn't even break them entirely when your opponent has full, healthy shield. However i have found out some ways to poke, bait out, and eventually break your opponents shield very easily.

SHIELD BAITING OPTIONS

1. Nair is a great approach option and can poke pretty well.

2. Bair is pretty safe on shield and can bait out a shield grab.

3. Hadouken and red hadouken can be wave bounced and bait shield.I give reference to:https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/co...(credit: hoodedaltair)

Thats about it for baiting options now for setups

SETUPS

1. One (light) jab_Bait shield_Shieldbreak

2. many (light) up or down tilts till shield comes out_shieldbreak

3. Approach with nair_Land behind_bait shield_shieldbreak

4. Bair on shield_bait shield grab_shieldbreak

Those are the setups and poking options that I have found with Ryu but i'd love to hear anything you guys have to say. This is my first thread so let me know if i said anything wrong or if there are anymore setups or anything related to this matter.

Thanks,
The Kernel

Duplighost

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-5360-8490
Welcome to Smashboards! Feel free to introduce yourself at the Welcome Center / Meet & Greet. Let me know if you have any questions by starting a conversation with me, or commenting on my profile.

Otherwise, those sound great! Ryu is a pretty good character when people like you put a lot of time and effort into him, so nice work! All of those setups and baits must be really cool to see in action as well.

Be sure to edit your post if you discover anything else. I'm sure a lot of people find this interesting.

Top Bottom