• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to avoid opponents just waiting for my aggressive option?

Zeek

Smash Rookie
I love falco and I've played the game for sometime but recently I have really tried to improve my game. One thing I notice online is that the opponent will camp the opposite side of the stage with dash dances and never approach. So I approach with a nair or dair, they dash back then dash forward to some punish. Am I just being too predictable? should I not approach with an option but rather just try to close distance first? its very frustrating when no one wants to engage but just wait for you to mess up.

Melonsismyusername

Smash Apprentice
What you wanna do to effectively beat this is to slowly approach and corner the person doing it with low-risk options, while conditioning them.

Zeek

Smash Rookie
What would be a low risk option in this case? should I just close distance and then start doing moves instead of throwing them out full stage?

Melonsismyusername

Smash Apprentice
What would be a low risk option in this case? should I just close distance and then start doing moves instead of throwing them out full stage?
Sh Laser would probably be the best option with mixing it up with auto cancel bair, and pretty much any move that is low lag, not super committal, and works well for covering options that the other char can do out of jump/dash dance.

Remember that the whole point of using these attacks is more about forcing the opponent into the corner so that dashing dancing and more options like it are made much weaker.

Last edited:

flyboy__

Smash Cadet
Laser, and practice your post-laser options. Dash Dance forward or back, laser in place, approaching laser, sh aerial, etc. If you want to sh aerial, make sure to overshoot it, as almost any character will dash back. I think the default should be to overshoot aerials, but undershoot can be good too if they go for DD grab a lot. You should note if your overshoot connects to try to get a grip of how campy your opponent is willing to play.

Once your opponent is fully pushed into the corner, he has to pick an escape option. If it's Marth, common options are roll, shield, and FH fair. In this example, ALL of these options BEAT approaching nair. Instead, you can laser grab, undershoot sh nair, or dash dance around SH fair range. These are just some default options, but you can get cheekier as you get to know their options. If they stay in shield, double shine grab. If they jump, catch it with dair or nair. If they roll, shield pressure into turn around sh dair. Think about your opponent's habits and adjust accordingly. Every option can be beaten, so remember to use your brain.

More than anything, try to be patient. This is the most difficult point as it is far more abstract and involves tempering your mental. Try to dash dance further away and get an idea of what your opponent can do to you at various ranges. Think about what your opponent is capable of at X range, and lab what you are capable of at the same range. For example, one time I just labbed close laser -> max dash dance -> nair against a Marth nairing out of shield. Helped me a ton in the matchup.

Top Bottom