• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How the heck does Air Shooter work?

Vrmillion

Smash Rookie
I was playing against someone who had never played against a Mega Man before, and when he asked what makes Air Shooter actually kill someone, I had no answer for him. Sometimes it pops the opponent out and kills at 90%, other times they're at 130% and the final hit doesn't have any knockup at all, letting them just fall back to the stage. What are the actual mechanics of Air Shooter's knockup?

Greward

Smash Lord
It has a windbox (like Mario's down B) which pulls them up, and also a hitbox that deals damage consisting of multiple hits of 3%-2%-1%. The windbox is the thing doing the killing. Since it is a windbox it kills depending on opponent's floatiness mostly instead of weight. That's also why if they jump / use a special move etc they'll die before they should.

I'm not sure where the windbox is placed though, and yeah sometimes it looks like the windbox doesn't connect since it doesn't launch them at all. My guess is that the windbox is smaller than the tornado and in the center, so if they're a bit apart it won't hit. But I'm not sure lol.

If you use up air while there's an up air out there, the previous one will disappear, which also cancels the windbox. This is good to combo up air into up air.

All in all up air is super weird lol. But pretty good too.

xIvan321

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xIvan321
In addition, if it hits from the start, then its an extra 5% otherwise, training mode will never tell you that. It deals a whole 20%

The other rule is the hitstun and damage. Halfways after its shot, there's a windbox and the damage post halfways has no hitstun. Being just like Fox's blaster.

Unclesatan

Smash Apprentice
Good to know about the lack of hitstun on the latter half of uair. I kinda figured that was the case, but I chocked it up to placebo.

Vrmillion

Smash Rookie
Interesting.

So if I'm understanding this correctly, the windbox is about half way through the move, which is what kills people and/or pushes them into the rest of the non-hitstun damage as well?

That's such a cool ability. Yet another move in Mega Man's arsenal that functions uniquely among the entire roster.

Thank you for the replies, Greward and xIvan321.

Rashid

Smash Journeyman
Sharjah - the United Arab Emirates. (UAE)
NNID
MegaSnack
3DS FC
0903-2770-3378
I don't think the last, killing hit is necessarily a windbox. I think it does have a small amount of hitstun like the first few hits. That being said, the windbox of the later multihits can definitely result in a kill if they try to alter their momentum.

http://kuroganehammer.com/Smash4/Mega Man There is a strong hitbox at the end (final hit) It's still very hard to land, and I wouldn't be surprised if they can just move out of it sideways (without jumping or air dodging)

Top Bottom