• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How the Bucket REALLY Works.

What's your favorite new thing in Smash 4 to absorb?

• Link's Bombs

Votes: 15 28.3%
  • Samus

Votes: 38 71.7%

• Total voters

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
Can anyone confirm this? I don't have footage, but while playing with my friends the other day it looked like I couldn't be hit during the absorption of something. Mr. Game and Watch was flashing white.

IS HE INVINCIBLE???!!!!!!111
Yeah the move has always worked this way, this isn't new.

RAzul

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RioFlows
3DS FC
0705-4214-5965
Fair > bucket
(they may not always be in hit stun though)
One trick is to use it ASAP from getting it, this way the opponent hasn't possibly planned much to avoid it.
You can see this at the start of my 1st montage- http://youtu.be/p8Br1GoYprE

A second way to use it is seen in the second clip in the montage.
if you predict their roll kinda thing. It also helps that Game and Watch's roll is faster than other characters such as Robin which helps if you want to 'shadow/stalk' their roll with your roll.

Jab 1 > bucket
you can do some gimmicks with the jab 1.
Your montage was not only helpful on the G&W end of things, but as a proud Villager main as well....I she'd tears my friend. Superb work.

D

Deleted member

One time i was playing for Fun mode as :gawmelee: and one :mewtwomelee: deliberately filled up my bucket over and over, scoring many KOs in the process. Oh, what fun is there to be had in For Fun...!

Last edited by a moderator:

TheUndeadReturns

Smash Cadet
NNID
House0fFastFood
I find little to no application for bucket hopping. It doesn't help for recovering at all, really, since you need to have used it once in the air already for the second jump to carry that momentum, GW's recovery is honestly good enough.

I see SMALL application in absorbing projectiles, by going by the ledge, letting go and using the bucket, then jumping back up again with the momentum and re-grabbing the ledge, eg. Mega Man's f-smash, since it goes below the ledge.

I've noticed that as long as you let go of b the moment the projectile is about to go into the bucket, it has a lot less end lag. Sometimes you can even absorb a projectile as GW is in the middle of putting it away.

NotAsian

Smash Journeyman
Anyone have info on the oil having health? Ive had my oil completely disappear after taking hits from projectiles.
Example, against ness I had a full bucket, he pk fired me and I mashed down B, usually when this happens it goes threw the pk fire and hits ness, but this time it froze in the pk fire and disappeared!

Again against pikachu I used my oil and his electric ball stopped my oil in it's path

Off topic but did they nerf links bombs when bucketed? It used too be an insta kill but I had a link survive it

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
Anyone have info on the oil having health? Ive had my oil completely disappear after taking hits from projectiles.
Example, against ness I had a full bucket, he pk fired me and I mashed down B, usually when this happens it goes threw the pk fire and hits ness, but this time it froze in the pk fire and disappeared!

Again against pikachu I used my oil and his electric ball stopped my oil in it's path

Off topic but did they nerf links bombs when bucketed? It used too be an insta kill but I had a link survive it
Did the PK Fire/Thunder Jolt hit you? The move can he cancelled by huttjng Game & Watch part way through. Depending on the strength of the bucket some projectiles could feasibly cancel it (if it's within a 10% range of Oil Panic damage). I could only see this being the case with PK Fire, though; even from Thunder Jolts it should be plenty strong.

I think it depends on what part of the explosion you absorb (further away from the bomb does less damage). If you absorb three weak explosions Link can survive.

NotAsian

Smash Journeyman
OK that might have been it he shot 2 pk fires at me and I took damage thanks for clearing that up

I didn't realize links bombs had different damages I know if he drops one on the ground and your right on it it can fill 2 bars

The 0ne

Smash Journeyman
NNID
toady3
3DS FC
0104-2324-5980
Weird thing though: it's the opposite for Toon Link. The edge of the explosion if it lands next to you deals more damage.

Neku ネク

Smash Apprentice
I have a question about the knockback from Oil Panic.

I've noticed fighting certain characters with projectiles that can be absorbed, some of them have different launch powers.

For example, comparing Robin and Luigi. Luigi's fireballs deal minor damage and have low knockback.
Robin's Thoron deals decent damage (still low) and has a higher knockback.

When I absorbed both of these projectiles, I noticed that OP against Luigi had a significantly higher knockback (and killed at low percents) than it did against Robin. I wasn't able to kill Robin either.

How exactly does the bucket change it's damage and knockback? It's extremely weird.

Last edited:

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
I have a question about the knockback from Oil Panic.

I've noticed fighting certain characters with projectiles that can be absorbed, some of them have different launch powers.

For example, comparing Robin and Luigi. Luigi's fireballs deal minor damage and have low knockback.
Robin's Thoron deals decent damage (still low) and has a higher knockback.

When I absorbed both of these projectiles, I noticed that OP against Luigi had a significantly higher knockback (and killed at low percents) than it did against Robin. I wasn't able to kill Robin either.

How exactly does the bucket change it's damage and knockback? It's extremely weird.
It's pure damage. Thoron deals several weak hits so the resulting attack will be weak. Fireball doesn't have as much knockback but each one does more damage than Thoron's individual hits, so the resulting bucket will be strong.

Elthunder is the best Thunder variation you can bucket from Robin.

Neku ネク

Smash Apprentice
Alright I think I understand how the attacks are translated now. I used Robin as an example but I guess it was a good one to compare.

So tiny hits like Thoron and the fire breath from Bowser and Charizard would have significantly weaker panic knockback than fireballs from Luigi or Mario and others like them.

RIKATERB

Smash Rookie
I dont use his oil panic that much, but ive recently been trying to implement it in my matches. kinda tricky to land since it has to be close range right?

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
Lucas's PK Thunder cannot be absorbed completely, but strangely one is enough to fill the bucket instantly...

Neku ネク

Smash Apprentice
I dont use his oil panic that much, but ive recently been trying to implement it in my matches. kinda tricky to land since it has to be close range right?
Being too close or too far seems to have a worse knockback. You have to be a certain distance away (I'd say the middle of the animation) for it to really damage and launch. If you're trying to incorporate it into your game-play, try doing:

D throw > Short Hop (away from opponent's DI) > Panic

at anywhere below 60% and above 20%. That's always worked for me.

V_T

Smash Rookie
Lucas's PK Thunder cannot be absorbed completely, but strangely one is enough to fill the bucket instantly...
Lucas' PK thunder is made up of a lot of weak multihit moves, they full the bucket with very little percent, making the oil spill weak as well.

Top Bottom