• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How technically demanding is Lucario?

monkokaio

Smash Cadet
NNID
monkokaio
3DS FC
4468-1090-0122
Lucario is my main in Brawl, however, in P:M he's a completely different character. I love his moveset and watching people like Vanguard or Frozen or aMSa play him is just so inspiring.

The thing is I'm not very familiar with traditional fighters and canceling moves into other moves or anything of the like, and seeing how quickly Lucario uses moves makes me feel like he'd be impossible for someone like me to learn. It all seems so confusing to me.

I guess what I'm trying to get at is, could someone with slightly slower fingers, and lacking an understanding of traditional fighters proficiently play P:M Lucario?

Katara

Smash Rookie
Very, but not in the same way that say fox is technically demanding.

The inputs you have to do to pull off sick **** as Lucario are pretty easy to accomplish. Learning what attacks fit the situation the best is much harder to figure out on Lucario compared to other characters.

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
Decision-making is the technical part of Lucario. While being fast is good for certain things, most technical stuff he has is fairly forgiving. The only thing I could think of that requires really fast fingers is ninja-scaling walls with b-reversal + walljump, and you'll rarely have to resort to it since so few stages have walls and so few situations would make recovering via walljumps mandatory to survive, and who knows... maybe that's just about getting the muscle memory down and later being as easy as wavedashing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgBxvTMG28I

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
There are some timing things you need to learn and when you can link x with y.

Not too different from brawl.

Learning to L-cancel is more important than to wave dash, you're gonna use double team for positioning and movement, still nice to learn but one thing at a time if you are getting into PM.

Cancels are simple, if you can do dash attack > utilt > fair > nair in brawl you can do dash attack > utilt > usmash > areal force palm on the third hit.

Just practice, PM is more forgiving and easier to nail down than melee.

Ser Aaron

Smash Rookie
Very, but not in the same way that say fox is technically demanding. Learning what attacks fit the situation the best is much harder to figure out on Lucario compared to other characters.
I would also say that this is the case. Even though he has a few things which require you have good muscle memory, he's about as technical as most other characters. Most of Lucario is decision making - knowing what works and when. So yeah, you can be slow and play Lucario - but it's not hard to speed up

Last edited:
Top Bottom