• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How technical do you guys try to be w/ Sammy?

❤ Nikodemus05

Zero Skill Spamus
NNID
Nikodemus05
3DS FC
3952-7737-9671
Trying not to make a self promoting description here, lol. I try to be hella technical with her. This means using perfect pivots, mastering OOS options, using shield dropping, dance trotting, and other various techs for an edge on the battlefield.

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191
I rely mostly on fundamentals, rather than technical stuff. That's because Mario is my first main so I put most of my training into him. For coverage, a fundamentals Samus is good enough.

Annihilat®

Smash Journeyman
I can't play Samus at all with even the slightest bit of lag. She is terrible in lag. I'll chillax play with my tag 'Polarity', doing some fun stuff on For Glory and all. But when I switch to my name Anni, that's when I mean business. It feels normal to do advanced techs offline, but it doesn't feel second nature yet online. I seriously believe that Samus takes 100% precision to be played at a high level and yield good results.

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
I find FG lag kills my technical execution. The only thing I try to do is outwit my opponent. I like putting my opponents in traps and forcing them to eat my CS. Using bombs as my set ups I put delayed hit boxes everywhere and at least once per match I get that glorious bomb>F-smash kill that happens so fast the opponent just sits in the respawn platform processing what just happened to them for a while. I try being technical but I'm still new to these advanced mechanics of smash. Heck I just picked up my main for the first time ever in my life this last April (I played casual rando for 10 years). I don't have the skills to pull off all these great techniques yet, nor do I enough confidence to play different than how I do. I play with the mentality, How do I think my way out of this match that I'm clearly no skill match for?
However I do some nice things, like bomb use in the neutral and jump canceling my Charging to punish a rushdown. (Often I will charge to bait my opponent into approaching) But I'm in no way technical, just slightly above casual.

Annihilat®

Smash Journeyman
I find FG lag kills my technical execution. The only thing I try to do is outwit my opponent. I like putting my opponents in traps and forcing them to eat my CS. Using bombs as my set ups I put delayed hit boxes everywhere and at least once per match I get that glorious bomb>F-smash kill that happens so fast the opponent just sits in the respawn platform processing what just happened to them for a while. I try being technical but I'm still new to these advanced mechanics of smash. Heck I just picked up my main for the first time ever in my life this last April (I played casual rando for 10 years). I don't have the skills to pull off all these great techniques yet, nor do I enough confidence to play different than how I do. I play with the mentality, How do I think my way out of this match that I'm clearly no skill match for?
However I do some nice things, like bomb use in the neutral and jump canceling my Charging to punish a rushdown. (Often I will charge to bait my opponent into approaching) But I'm in no way technical, just slightly above casual.
I feel that, man. I thought I was the stuff in Melee and Brawl, lmbo. There will like be times when I stop moving for an entire second because a tilt isn't come out. That's a big problem online I noticed. C-stick tilts can and do turn into Jabs or sometimes never come out. Lag spikes can make you fast fall right after a tether, making you instantly SD. A wrong move coming out (most notably Up Smash), so opponents get in a free punish. This is just my timing alone, but I find trouble in SHAD online as well. I know people always play worse online, but Samus just can't afford mistakes like that.

leiraD

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TacoShell
I think that based on results, the Samus players who tend to do best in the competetive landscape tend to be more technical players (depth, kayjay, afro).

❤ Nikodemus05

Zero Skill Spamus
NNID
Nikodemus05
3DS FC
3952-7737-9671
Not sure about you guys, but my only playing enviroment is online. I use an ethernet cord and play only around people with my region, which only gives me 2-5 frames of input lag MAX, so I can be extremely technical and precise.

This is also why I don't make tourney results too. But afaik, I reign over the online enviroment, and in there, techskill is less than second nature. Sorry if I sound like I'm bragging, I really just wanna play w/ you guys tbh. Add my NNID and PM me sometime, I wanna see how y'all play.

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
I play a pretty straightforward game. Gotta have RCS, upb OoS, and good ledge trump skills. Know my combos. PP utilt I try to do more and more. Not a lot of other complex movement options for me.

Jman3

Smash Rookie
I like FG for trying new ideas or getting some basic combos down. I cant perfect pivot, or fox trot almost at all on FG (I have issues with fox trotting normally). Its also good for some basic matchup knowledge but any reactive defensive option goes out the window with lag and lag spikes.

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
Not sure about you guys, but my only playing enviroment is online. I use an ethernet cord and play only around people with my region, which only gives me 2-5 frames of input lag MAX, so I can be extremely technical and precise.

This is also why I don't make tourney results too. But afaik, I reign over the online enviroment, and in there, techskill is less than second nature. Sorry if I sound like I'm bragging, I really just wanna play w/ you guys tbh. Add my NNID and PM me sometime, I wanna see how y'all play.
If you want I'll add you but I'm no one special.
This is most of what I do, play patiently, lay bombs ect.
This isn't one of my best matches, I've already been told I messed up a lot of opportunities to combo but it does have the money shot bomb>F-smash that I live for.

Hark17ball

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Talos21
3DS FC
0662-5845-1699
I play technical but nowhere near as proficient as Depth KayJay Afro and crew. My biggest problem is I haven't yet mastered how fast I can move after doing something or exactly what % on characters things lead into. I feel like I'm on the cusp of getting it.

I like to picture it as myself being Gohan trying to go super sayain for the first time. There are times where you can see the spark so you KNOW it's there....I just haven't understood it 100% to be able to access it at will.

Annihilat®

Smash Journeyman
I play off GP and a decent wireless connection. I get a bit of inevitable lag from the GP and online. I'll probably add you, @❤Nikodemus05. I never was able to reliably perfect pivot, but after mastering the turnaround B-reverse, I was doing perfect pivots much more easier. I never did more then 2 in a row until yesterday. Now too see its applications.

I still think Samus needs a damage buff on her spike, B-air, S-smash, D-smash U-tilt, N-air and D-tilt. Those are really good moves to use on shield, but all can still be punished. Samus is powerful and launching, but she deals laughable damage.

Last edited:

Afro Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
Afro_Smash
3DS FC
2938-6360-9529
I find I have to play muchhhhhhhh more technical with Samus than my secondaries such as Ike and Marth, Samus just has so many more tools at her disposal and creative ways to use them, I usually switch to my secondaries to give my hands a break.

And yes I don't think raw fundamentals could take you too far with a character like Samus, though obviously it's useful

Tonetta

Smash Apprentice
Everything I do is either rar or pp or dash danced. All of those movement options compliment the Samus style so well

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
Beyond the combos I'm actually not terribly technical, there's still a pile of tech I need to learn. I also play almost exclusively FG and with lag the technical can turn into major screw ups.
My focus is still trying to kill off the opponent in just a handful of hits, and improving my edge guarding, but I'm going to spend a serious lab session on tech sometime before Christmas.
I'm always really impressed by our well known technical players.

Last edited:
Top Bottom