• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How Should I Begin Learning Peach?

Lorde

Let 'em talk
Switch FC
SW-6881-0865-5788
I've been maining Zelda/Sheik since Melee. After their split, I've been looking for another character to pick up. I have tried out most of the cast and Peach stood out to me. I really like Peach's character and her float mechanic is interesting. Idk why I even wrote this; it's pretty irrelevant but w/e.

I have been meaning to make this thread for a while now, but idk I guess I've been stalling. So here's my real point of this thread: I honestly have no idea how I should play Peach. I have watched all of Dark.Pch's guides (which were very helpful, btw) but I still have no idea how to use her.

My biggest questions would be:
1. When and how should I be using all of Peach's moves?
2. How do I edgeguard?
3. How should I use turnips?
4. What should I practice once I can actually use Peach?
5. In what situations should I float/ How should I use the float?

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to answer <3

edit: I was on mobile when I made this thread and I guess it posted the thread twice? Can someone delete/lock the other thread? Thanks.

Last edited:

Macchiato

Smash Hero
NNID
Macchiatooo
I've been maining Zelda/Sheik since Melee. After their split, I've been looking for another character to pick up. I have tried out most of the cast and Peach stood out to me. I really like Peach's character and her float mechanic is interesting. Idk why I even wrote a of this; it's pretty irrelevant but w/e.

I have been meaning to make this thread for a while now, but idk I guess I've been stalling. So here's my real point of this thread: I honestly have no idea how I should play Peach. I have watched all of Dark.Pch's guides (which were very helpful, btw) but I still have no idea how to use her.

2. How do I edgeguard?

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to answer <3
1: jab is to intercept moves or to get someone off of yew
ftilt follows up from dthrow and is a good spacing tool
dtilt is a combo starter and also can continue combos
utilt is a good anti-air
Usmash has a big horizontal hitbox and kills decently and the sweetspot kills early.
Fsmash-golf is good for spacing and kills around 130%
Fsmash-tennis is a good kill move, its great for a punish and has decent range
Fsmash-pan is safe on shield and kills the earliest. Good for punishes or reads.
dsmash is for reading rolls and spotdodges, not bad oos.
nair is good oos for relieving pressure. it starts combos and also continues some.
fair is her main kill move and is a great zoning tool.
dair is a combo starter and is great for pressuring your opponent.
uair is good for juggles and combos. Its really disjointed too.
fthrow is for stage control
bthrow is for kills and stage control
uthrow is for early combos, like uthrow to parasol
dthrow is for combos
toad is a counter, nuff said
sleepy toad is also a counter
grumpy toad is a poking tool
peach bomber is for tech chases and mid range punishes
flying peach bomber is for combos and platform stuff
flower bomber is for combos, shield pressure, and oos
all the parasols are for recovering while the default can be a kill option and oos option
vegetable is a good long range punish, also approaches
light veggie is for kill and combo set ups, and approaches
heavy veggie is for shield pressure and edgeguarding

2: Turnips, fair, dair. There's more but those are the most reliable.
turnips should be self-explanatory.
fair is for horizontal recoverys
dair hits under the ledge

3: it can be oos for some long range punishes, can edgeguard, can be an approach, or set up combos.

4: Everything... I'm not kidding

5: some approaches, when about to start dair pressuring, edgeguarding, theres a load of ways

its better to ask @Dark.Pch or @ M Meru.

Takehiko

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FoldedMachi
Watch every single one of DarkPch's videos tutorials. It'll catch you up extremely fast.

Lorde

Let 'em talk
Switch FC
SW-6881-0865-5788
Watch every single one of DarkPch's videos tutorials. It'll catch you up extremely fast.
I don't mean to come off as rude or anything (and I apologize if I do), but this was literally in the OP:
I have watched all of Dark.Pch's guides (which were very helpful, btw) but I still have no idea how to use her.
His guides are really great and I appreciate that he made them, but there's still a ton of stuff I don't know about how to use Peach (such as the questions I asked in the OP).

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
That's a very hard question. Peach's best moves are usually her aerials so you're going to be using those often, but if I were to tell you should use this move once this or that situation occurs, I feel that I'm not only limiting your creativity but also that my answer might not be sufficient, since there might be more moves or tactics that are effective in a particular situation. This is something you should largely learn mostly by yourself by playing vs and learning from your experiences, or by others looking at other Peach players.

HOWEVER, I can give you some tips or course :)

- Look at her frame data. Moves that are fast are usually those you'd like to use often, especially at close combat (Nair, Bair, Jab, Dash Attack, Ftilt, Dsmash). Watch out for using moves that are slower (Fair, Dair, Dtilt, Bomber, Usmash, Fsmash) since it may get you hit before you can hit your opponent. In the case of Fair and Dtilt, these moves have plenty of range so if you use space it and use it a spot where you can hit your opponent but your opponent can't hit you, you can compensate for the slow start
- Stay safe! This is very important since since she has trouble landing if she gets hit. Avoid getting into those situations. Fortunately, Peach has plently of safe options. All of her aerials are safe if you pull away. Remember to space them well though! If you don't space your aerials well you can still get grabbed or punished other wise. Also watch out for using Dair too much. It has slow start-up, long duration (which means you're open if you miss) and it's predictable. If you miss pull away or cancel the move: do something to get safe.
- Moves like Fair, Bair and turnips are usually your best ranged options, and they're all safe. Fair has more range and is super powerful but it's slow and predictable. Bair is fast and has great range too (especially shorthopped) but not as much as Fair, and it's also not as powerful. Turnips are safe and have the most range, but it takes a lot of time to pluck them. Do pluck them if you find the time though, because turnips can create openings were easily! Other than that Fsmash and Dtilt also have good range, but Fsmash is not very safe, and Dtilt only hits grounded opponents. Both moves has some start-up to them too.

2. How do I edgeguard?
lol I suck at this too. I have been experimenting more with this though and Peach definitely has a solid edgeguarding game.
- Dropping from the ledge and doing Fair can be a very effective option.
- Bait airdodges and punish them. Peach's mere presence can be very scary, so just floating towards them can make them airdodge a lot.
- Intercept their recoveries with turnips.
- You don't HAVE to edgeguard all the time. If you feel the edgeguarding is too risky or not worth, don't go out there or pick very safe options (throwing turnips). If you have jumped off the stage, but feel that they're not in a position to get edgeguarding, just jump back quickly and try punishing their ledge options.
Turnips can be used for a lot of purposes.
- They are projectiles so they have good range and are thus very effective spacing tools.
- They can be used to make your jumps safe by throwing it to your opponent.
- They can be used to force approaches.
- They're safe anyway so why not use them if you can?
- Float > drop float towards opponent > turnip throw > land on ground > dash attack combos for the kill.

And there's muuuch more.

EVERYTHING.
But learning to land after getting hit is a good start. The negative state is one of her main weaknesses, and covering this weakness will benefit you a lot. Something hitting them on your way back can be effective but more often than not you will get punished for trying to hit them. Do what is safest to get back to the stage and take as less damage as possible, even if it might take some time. Patience is key with Peach.

Also be patient with approaching and remember to stay safe (although of course, a risky move now and then is good if you know what you're doing).

This is a good question but it's very hard to give a good answer ._. Float enables her to attack her opponent with aerials from several angles.

- Ground floated Nair allows for a fast grounded attack with ground and a decent OoS option. You can cancel it immediately or float away after it. Another option is shorthop Nair, which covers the air better but tends to whiff vs grounded opponents.
- Grounded floated Fair is safe when pulled back and spaced well (if you don't space it well you can get grabbed out of it so watch out!). It hits grounded opponent well (especially short characters) although it also has a pretty good hitbox on top of it. Shorthop Fair hits aerials opponents very well. Floating above your opponent and dropping your Fair allows you to attack from the air and pull back during the start-up from Fair, but you will be forced to put on with the landing lag which can leave you open to punishment.
- Floating Bair OoS is an amazing OoS option if they hit behind you. Other than I personally don't float Bair a lot, I find this move thes best when shorthopped.
- Floating Uair good for juggles or for landing punishes. Jumping Uair is good for chasing people in the air.
- Floating Dair lets you hit people from above them, which is a unique angle and it makes characters with bad anti-aerial options suffer. However, it's fairly predictable and it can be punishable if you whiff. Pull away or cancel if you miss. Shorthop Dair is faster but you won't be able to attack from right above like floating Dair would allow you to.
- If they keep shielding when you float, you can quickly drop your float and grab them. If they adapt to it you willhave to change your plans a little bit (drop your float and attack or something) but usually it's quick enough to catch them.
- Floating can also lead your opponent to airdodge a lot. Float to them and punish their airdodge on reaction.

Last edited:

gagelax

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GageLax
3DS FC
4699-6577-1898
That's a very hard question. Peach's best moves are usually her aerials so you're going to be using those often, but if I were to tell you should use this move once this or that situation occurs, I feel that I'm not only limiting your creativity but also that my answer might not be sufficient, since there might be more moves or tactics that are effective in a particular situation. This is something you should largely learn mostly by yourself by playing vs and learning from your experiences, or by others looking at other Peach players.

HOWEVER, I can give you some tips or course :)

- Look at her frame data. Moves that are fast are usually those you'd like to use often, especially at close combat (Nair, Bair, Jab, Dash Attack, Ftilt, Dsmash). Watch out for using moves that are slower (Fair, Dair, Dtilt, Bomber, Usmash, Fsmash) since it may get you hit before you can hit your opponent. In the case of Fair and Dtilt, these moves have plenty of range so if you use space it and use it a spot where you can hit your opponent but your opponent can't hit you, you can compensate for the slow start
- Stay safe! This is very important since since she has trouble landing if she gets hit. Avoid getting into those situations. Fortunately, Peach has plently of safe options. All of her aerials are safe if you pull away. Remember to space them well though! If you don't space your aerials well you can still get grabbed or punished other wise. Also watch out for using Dair too much. It has slow start-up, long duration (which means you're open if you miss) and it's predictable. If you miss pull away or cancel the move: do something to get safe.
- Moves like Fair, Bair and turnips are usually your best ranged options, and they're all safe. Fair has more range and is super powerful but it's slow and predictable. Bair is fast and has great range too (especially shorthopped) but not as much as Fair, and it's also not as powerful. Turnips are safe and have the most range, but it takes a lot of time to pluck them. Do pluck them if you find the time though, because turnips can create openings were easily! Other than that Fsmash and Dtilt also have good range, but Fsmash is not very safe, and Dtilt only hits grounded opponents. Both moves has some start-up to them too.

lol I suck at this too. I have been experimenting more with this though and Peach definitely has a solid edgeguarding game.
- Dropping from the ledge and doing Fair can be a very effective option.
- Bait airdodges and punish them. Peach's mere presence can be very scary, so just floating towards them can make them airdodge a lot.
- Intercept their recoveries with turnips.
- You don't HAVE to edgeguard all the time. If you feel the edgeguarding is too risky or not worth, don't go out there or pick very safe options (throwing turnips). If you have jumped off the stage, but feel that they're not in a position to get edgeguarding, just jump back quickly and try punishing their ledge options.

Turnips can be used for a lot of purposes.
- They are projectiles so they have good range and are thus very effective spacing tools.
- They can be used to make your jumps safe by throwing it to your opponent.
- They can be used to force approaches.
- They're safe anyway so why not use them if you can?
- Float > drop float towards opponent > turnip throw > land on ground > dash attack combos for the kill.

And there's muuuch more.

EVERYTHING.
But learning to land after getting hit is a good start. The negative state is one of her main weaknesses, and covering this weakness will benefit you a lot. Something hitting them on your way back can be effective but more often than not you will get punished for trying to hit them. Do what is safest to get back to the stage and take as less damage as possible, even if it might take some time. Patience is key with Peach.

Also be patient with approaching and remember to stay safe (although of course, a risky move now and then is good if you know what you're doing).

This is a good question but it's very hard to give a good answer ._. Float enables her to attack her opponent with aerials from several angles.

- Ground floated Nair allows for a fast grounded attack with ground and a decent OoS option. You can cancel it immediately or float away after it. Another option is shorthop Nair, which covers the air better but tends to whiff vs grounded opponents.
- Grounded floated Fair is safe when pulled back and spaced well (if you don't space it well you can get grabbed out of it so watch out!). It hits grounded opponent well (especially short characters) although it also has a pretty good hitbox on top of it. Shorthop Fair hits aerials opponents very well. Floating above your opponent and dropping your Fair allows you to attack from the air and pull back during the start-up from Fair, but you will be forced to put on with the landing lag which can leave you open to punishment.
- Floating Bair OoS is an amazing OoS option if they hit behind you. Other than I personally don't float Bair a lot, I find this move thes best when shorthopped.
- Floating Uair good for juggles or for landing punishes. Jumping Uair is good for chasing people in the air.
- Floating Dair lets you hit people from above them, which is a unique angle and it makes characters with bad anti-aerial options suffer. However, it's fairly predictable and it can be punishable if you whiff. Pull away or cancel if you miss. Shorthop Dair is faster but you won't be able to attack from right above like floating Dair would allow you to.
- If they keep shielding when you float, you can quickly drop your shield and grab them. If they adapt to it you willhave to change your plans a little bit (drop your float and attack or something) but usually it's quick enough to catch them.
- Floating can also lead your opponent to airdodge a lot. Float to them and punish their airdodge on reaction.
Yaaay is exactly right. When learning a character, take it at your own pace and learn things at a speed that makes you feel comfortable. Always take breaks or seek out for help if you need to.

Top Bottom