• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How should I be using my controller?

metalman311

Smash Rookie
I've been playing smash since 64 but have only been into competitive smash for a couple years (watching, not playing). I'm afraid that through the years I've picked up so many bad habits that I don't know if I could ever unlearn them to truly step up my game. How should I be using the controller? Which buttons are best to execute the advanced moves?

AUS

Smash Cadet
Depends what you mean, do you mean what buttons do you use to use advanced techniques (WaveDashing, L-Canceling etc..) or do you mean what button/stick is more optimal (Should you use X or Y to jump, Should you charge smashes with A or use the C-stick, Should you do arials with the C-stick Etc..)

Foo

Smash Lord
Almost everyone does things a little differently, but generally.

DON'T use tap jump to wave dash, ledge hop or shffl. DO use whatever other random button you prefer for jump.

DO use the c-stick for aerials, unless it's and instant aerial, then use the A-button.

Other than that, it's basically just whatever you want. Something like charging smashes works equally well with using a or cstick +grab. Some things are character specific though. Like, generally, you'd probably want to turn off tap jump to play game and watch so you don't accidentally jump before up-b.

metalman311

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the tips. Yeah, I've NEVER used the c-stick for aerials. That's a daunting change for me cuz X, my preferred jump, is kinda far from the c-stick... It'll take a lot of practice.

I've seen a couple vids of pro's hands playing. R seems to be greatly favored over L for wave dashing and L-canceling

GaretHax

Smash Journeyman
I like L because it means that one hand handles, haha, all movement options. R is used mostly for shielding, if you main a spacie try laying your thumb across b-a-and y and just depressing top-to-bottom to multi-shine. I've also found gamecube controllers make for excellent blunt instruments in a pinch.

Top Bottom