• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How Rage Affects Mewtwo's Up Smash

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
I was looking at Nintendo Unity's Up Smash tiers video (thanks @godogod), which lists Mewtwo's Up Smash as being the 21st most powerful, tied with a few other characters like Fox.

Somehow though, this didn't seem right, even though the video clearly shows that they're as strong as each other.

I tested it out in training mode with a Dedede (hardest to kill vertically in the game) on FD, and sure enough with no rage, no freshness bonus, and no DI they killed Dedede at the same percent.

However, when I threw in rage, things would change.

I did a non-training mode test, setting Mewtwo and Fox to 153% (arbitrary number with high rage), and then performed their up smashes on Dedede again, making sure that they had the freshness bonus. No DI on Dedede was used. I did two tests, Uncharged and Charged Up Smashes.

Uncharged Up Smash on Dedede:
Mewtwo: 90%
Fox: 99%

Fully charged Up Smash on Dedede:
M2: 56%
Fox: 60%

You can see that, though the difference is only 10% at most, the two moves are not created equal. Mewtwo's Up Smash scales better with rage (though of course Mewtwo is lighter and so is less likely to get that high up in rage).

In general, a lot of those move ranking thingamajigs give only a general image. Though attacks can appear similar on the surface, differences in things like Base Knockback and Knockback Growth will affect attacks along the way. In fact, I'm pretty sure the reason Mewtwo's Up Smash ends up being stronger the higher your rage is because its base knockback is higher (60 vs. 30).

Last edited:

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Keep in mknd that 153 is max rage. But mewtwo with rage I've killed people sub 80. Stage and character weight and fall speed are all things to consider but it's a very potent kill move.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Keep in mind the multihit nature of Mewtwo's usmash ends up raising the opponent's percent before the killing blow, unlike Fox's.

Top Bottom