• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How much does the 3DS version matter competitively?

Will the 3DS version remain relevant once the WiiU version is out?

• Yes

Votes: 88 51.8%
  • No

Votes: 82 48.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
I have to be honest here, I really don't see this version getting any competition once the WiiU version comes out.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
If you ask me this a month ago I would of said no flat out but after watching the excellent gameplay the 3ds can produce with tournament streaming and surprisingly little lag at times wifi I'm leaning more on the fence. I think the biggest arguments are still going to be the lack of Cstick/comfortable controls vs how abundant the 3DS really is.

Who knows, maybe once the 'new 3ds' comes out the C stick will actually work and if everyone buys a soft plastic hand friendly case the 3DS could actually be a good rival to the WiiU.

My vote is still 'No' though.

Edit @ ParanoidDrone ParanoidDrone Bring up a excellent point with everyone having their own personal set ups as it can increase the speed and accuracy of tournaments results which is never a bad thing.

Last edited:

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
I voted "No" but I want to qualify my vote by saying that I doubt the 3DS version will completely fall out of the public eye since the nature of 3DS Smash makes formats like Swiss and round robin much more feasible. It'll probably be niche (dat HD tho) but the sheer convenience of a 1:1 player:setup ratio can't be overstated.

Raijinken

Smash Master
It will almost definitely become the secondary choice, but that doesn't mean it'll fall out entirely. It could easily be a side event, or be used for parallel Customs Tournaments while regular tournaments are run on the U version.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
It will almost definitely become the secondary choice, but that doesn't mean it'll fall out entirely. It could easily be a side event, or be used for parallel Customs Tournaments while regular tournaments are run on the U version.
Not going to lie, I really hope custom moves as a whole aren't relegated to side events. They offer too much potential IMO for that.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Not going to lie, I really hope custom moves as a whole aren't relegated to side events. They offer too much potential IMO for that.
I hope so as well, but due to the BYOC (or S for System instead of Console?) nature of a 3DS as opposed to the U, it makes more sense for customs to be on the 3DS version, and while I'd also like for 3DS-specific tournaments to exist, the difficulties around streaming from them and the generally higher prettiness of the U version make me think that, gradually, the 3DS version will become the side-event rather than the main event.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
I hope so as well, but due to the BYOC (or S for System instead of Console?) nature of a 3DS as opposed to the U, it makes more sense for customs to be on the 3DS version, and while I'd also like for 3DS-specific tournaments to exist, the difficulties around streaming from them and the generally higher prettiness of the U version make me think that, gradually, the 3DS version will become the side-event rather than the main event.
Logical but unfortunate points, I suppose. But since we can transfer unlocked items (including customs) to the Wii U version, I don't see how they can be an issue.

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
http://www.ausgamers.com/gameres/5871/images/source/super-smash-bros-wii-u.jpg
When I see how the Wii U version looks, I don't think "oh, that's how the Wii U version looks."
I think "that's how the actual game looks!"

It's AMAZING to watch old Wii U gameplay footage now that I'm so accustomed to the 3ds version (had the demo for a week so far, and I've watched many hours of the streams).

It looks like you're watching the 3ds version come to LIFE.

The graphics upgrade alone (not even including the gamecube pad support) makes the Wii U version the perfect version of the game. And with a perfect version like that, I see no reason to cramp my hands playing on the pixelated 3DS version with half the songs and failed up-B-recoveries due to my thumb slipping on the flat circlepad :p

Love the 3ds version though honestly :p I'm just nerding out in this post haha

Last edited:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
I think it may depend on the level of competition. For major in-person, streamed tournaments? It is almost certain the Wii U version will be the one of choice. More generally the 3DS version is going to sell far more and I would be very surprised if it does not have a fairly active online competitive scene provided the wifi is not awful.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
There's no reason for it to be competitive honestly, it's much more of a hassle to host tournaments for and there's no advantage hosting a 3DS tournament over a Wii U one. I mean, for the Wii U version you only need to stream off of one console, you don't need to interact wirelessly, people have much better controllers, it's much easier for a crowd to watch, the Wii U version looks to have the superior stage selection, and of course it looks a ton better graphically both for the players and the viewers. I can't think of anything the 3DS version has that serves competitive play that the Wii U version doesn't have, the only thing I see it being good for at tourneys are on-the-go friendlies.

From a competitive standpoint all that the 3DS version will be good for in the long run is For Glory, and that's only if you don't want to get the Wii U version too. Mind you I don't dislike the 3DS version, I just don't see it having a place in the competitive scene.

Last edited:

Renji64

Smash Lord
You shouldn't throw away all the pratice you got just because the wiiu one is released. But it will be the smash of choice to play and watch. 3ds will be fine as well.

Fafnir

Smash Apprentice
Unless they patch in CPP support? It'll be worthless. The New 3DS coming out next year might help things a bit, but with a general lack of C-stick support for the majority of systems that will be in use, there's very little potential for competitive development.

...It would also help to alleviate the pain in my hands if I could set the controls to function primarily off of the CPP shoulder buttons, rather than the face buttons, which is a configuration that you can't even get in console versions or the New 3DS. But that's just me.

Joe73191

Smash Journeyman
The relevance of the 3DS will come from the fact that everyone will be able to play friendlies in between rounds no matter how few Wii U set-ups we have.

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
The relevance of the 3DS will come from the fact that everyone will be able to play friendlies in between rounds no matter how few Wii U set-ups we have.
You have got a point, but I would always prefer play on the Wii U where I've got a bigger screen, better graphics and, most important of all, comfortable controls, whether I play friendlies or not.

To me the 3DS version is nothing more than a warming-up for the Wii U version so I voted No.

Last edited:

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
In the grand scale for tournaments, I don't see it staying side-by-side with the Wii U format. But it'll at least be a side tournament for sure. Maybe a little higher if something interesting to connect the two systems. Otherwise, good for warm-ups and great for side tournaments.

Last edited:

Conda

But everyone's skills would be handicapped, and thus players wont really be dying to parttake as much as people make it out.

Triggers arent nearly as accessible for me on the 3ds, and I play differently on the 3ds because of it. My abilities on the wiiu will be different.

Also, my hands cramp when playing the 3ds version, as I imagine many peoples' do. I wouldnt pull it out to sore my hands at a tourney.

It'll be popular for some people but I doubt people are going to enjoy practicing on the 3ds, as it does not translate 1:1 to the wii u version -- practicing stick movement, techs, aerials, etc.

D

Deleted member 245254

Why does everyone act like the two are so conceptually different? In my opinion they are one and the same. If Wii U Smash 4 is successful competitively, then simply by association Smash 3DS is successfully competitive. Smash 3DS is just the portable version you can take with you on the road. It's better than having a gigantic laptop that hopefully has the ability to run Dolphin and GC/Wii games properly, and a place to plug it in.

Being able to use the 3DS as a control on the Wii U version meshes the two groups even further, where dedicated 3DS-only players will be able to play in a tournament setting whether it be on the 3DS or the Wii U.

I just don't get this "The Wii U version will be better" nonsense. It's essentially the same game in a portable device, which is its only purpose, to be portable. The "Smash 4 scene" belongs to both games.

Untouch

Smash Master
After the WiiU version is out, I really do NOT see 3DS being relevant competitively for one very clear issue.
There's lag, even in LAN. Noticeable lag too, even if it is rare, it can still happen.

People will still play it, but I don't see it becoming too popular competitively after the WiiU version launches. Also there's like 3 non-omega stages that people are actually playing.

Conda

Why does everyone act like the two are so conceptually different? In my opinion they are one and the same. If Wii U Smash 4 is successful competitively, then simply by association Smash 3DS is successfully competitive. Smash 3DS is just the portable version you can take with you on the road. It's better than having a gigantic laptop that hopefully has the ability to run Dolphin and GC/Wii games properly, and a place to plug it in.

Being able to use the 3DS as a control on the Wii U version meshes the two groups even further, where dedicated 3DS-only players will be able to play in a tournament setting whether it be on the 3DS or the Wii U.

I just don't get this "The Wii U version will be better" nonsense. It's essentially the same game in a portable device, which is its only purpose, to be portable. The "Smash 4 scene" belongs to both games.
For me its just the knowledge of how the controller limits me and also hurts me. I've been playing the demo extensively and this is what I've realised.
People with smaller hands and such may find everything fine, an the 3ds scene may include those who can play comfortably on the 3ds.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 245254

For me its just the knowledge of how the controller limits me and also hurts me. I've been playing the demo extensively and this is what I've realised.
People with smaller hands and such may find everything fine, an the 3ds scene may include those who can play comfortably on the 3ds.
That's a bit of a personal quip though, conversely there are many who take no issue with the controls at all. It's not really a "con", objectively speaking.

I would try some kind of grip though if you're having trouble, that'd be my advice.

Conda

That's a bit of a personal quip though, conversely there are many who take no issue with the controls at all. It's not really a "con", objectively speaking.

I would try some kind of grip though if you're having trouble, that'd be my advice.
Yeah its all personal. I just cant wait to go back to a real controller and a large screen, and to play on wired ethernet, and with proper triggers and a movement stick with more controllability.

The 3ds is still fun and a great travel companion. I will just never actually practice techs and such on it, since the control method is, for me, a world different. Id have to practice both games honestly, as the inputs i practice to feel natural will not translate from controller to controller.

It requires me to change my style - which is fine, and i enjoy it :) but practice is not very transferable to the wii u version in my personal case.

Last edited:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Excellent question, Zipzo. Ideally, Smash 3DS would be great for tournaments. There are numerous issues hindering it as the "main" platform for the game. The first is that you can have wireless interference. I was at a tournament yesterday for lulz and when I played against people in the demo, there would be times I have random spikes of lag despite being right next to my opponent.

Second, from an entertainment standpoint, it's not exactly great to have a bunch of people huddling up to watch the matches. Third, streaming equipment for a 3DS is more expensive than for a console.

Then there are subjective issues. There's controller limitations with the 3DS. No C-Stick and you may be worried that you break off the circle pad while playing. For execution, a regular controller would be a far better option for most.

My plans for the 3DS version is to use it as a portable training mode where I test stuff during downtime at work or somewhere else. The WiiU version is where I'll be serious.

Soshii

Villageoise
NNID
kvlasco
3DS FC
1134-7845-8828
If the connectivity option supports using the 3DS as a controller on the Wii U version, the meta might not even have to be separated. I think more can be done on a GC controller than the current 3DS though.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
The Wii U version will obviously be more suited for tournaments and that is fine, but anyone who thinks the 3DS version will be irrelevant for competitive purposes are out of their minds. If you are into online playing, the 3DS version will be just as relevant as the Wii U version. If anything it might be even more relevant, since bigger player base = more people to play against in online matches.

It is really sad to see some treating the 3DS version as a "training mode".

Conda

Its just that, after playing the demo, i can clearly see how 1) i am handicapped and limited, 2) it will not keep up with the inputs needed at high level play, and 3) I am in pain.

The third point is something that, even if the first 2 points didnt exist, would still be important enough to make me play the wii u version more seriously.

I honestly hope everyone enjoys the game however. :) it does feel a bit like a "controller vs mouse+kb" situation, but it ain't a biggie.

Last edited:

Soshii

Villageoise
NNID
kvlasco
3DS FC
1134-7845-8828
It doesn't take long to get accustomed to the new controls unless you have giant hands playing on the regular 3DS. The 3DS version is very fluid and the controls aren't too limiting, especially considering the fact that controls can be changed completely in the full version. Especially because of the price ranges of the Wii U and 3DS, the 3DS version will always be relevant competitively.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
The Wii U version will obviously be more suited for tournaments and that is fine, but anyone who thinks the 3DS version will be irrelevant for competitive purposes are out of their minds. If you are into online playing, the 3DS version will be just as relevant as the Wii U version. If anything it might be even more relevant, since bigger player base = more people to play against in online matches.

It is really sad to see some treating the 3DS version as a "training mode".
Are you serious man? There's no value in playing the version with less viable stages wirelessly as opposed to the version with better controls, more than 3-4 usable stages on wired connections.

If you are into the online scene you'll take a small hit in player variety initially to get the better connections.

Conda

It doesn't take long to get accustomed to the new controls unless you have giant hands playing on the regular 3DS. The 3DS version is very fluid and the controls aren't too limiting, especially considering the fact that controls can be changed completely in the full version. Especially because of the price ranges of the Wii U and 3DS, the 3DS version will always be relevant competitively.
Practicing control techs using the control stick on both versions is completely different, and I cannot possibly see my practice in one translating to the other. 'Knowing' how something works isnt practice, it is using the controller to perform certain actions at a certain speed with comfort and natural second-natured-ness.

Soshii

Villageoise
NNID
kvlasco
3DS FC
1134-7845-8828
Practicing control techs using the control stick on both versions is completely different, and I cannot possibly see my practice in one translating to the other. 'Knowing' how something works isnt practice, it is using the controller to perform certain actions at a certain speed with comfort and natural second-natured-ness.
I wasn't comparing one to the other, I was specifically saying that the 3DS version is viably competitive on it's own. I'm saying it's consistent and skill-oriented enough, especially carrying the Smash Bros. name on a handheld that will keep it competitive.

Last edited:

Redd500

Smash Apprentice
I feel that the 3DS version will stay relevant so long as there aren't tons of people constantly saying how the game is irrelevant, not competitive, or other things that discourage players from joining the scene. If that does happen, the 3DS version will die and a 3DS vs. Wii U split akin to the Melee vs. Brawl split will possibly happen.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
I feel that the 3DS version will stay relevant so long as there aren't tons of people constantly saying how the game is irrelevant, not competitive, or other things that discourage players from joining the scene. If that does happen, the 3DS version will die and a 3DS vs. Wii U split akin to the Melee vs. Brawl split will possibly happen.
We just have to wait and see. Also welcome to Smashboards.

BADGRAPHICS

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2406-5113-4228
I have to be honest here, I really don't see this version getting any competition once the WiiU version comes out.
I think the question you posed is not the right one. The real question is: "How will the 3DS version remain relevant after the Wii U version is released?"

You're right, though. When the Wii U version comes out, the 3DS version could well be left by the wayside. However, even if the Wii U version is the main draw, everybody's going to want to bring their copy of Smash 3DS along to tournaments; this gives us a huge opportunity to do things we couldn't always do.

For instance, it would be a piece of cake to organize 3DS side-events during tournaments, incorporating stuff like customized characters (which is a lot easier to manage when people are bringing their own).

As long as we keep the mindset that the 3DS version has to compete with the Wii U version, it's going to be soon forgotten.

AttackstorM

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2122-8193-6919
What about the poor people who might not be able to or willing to dishout the $$ for a Wii U & smash Wii U after already getting the 3DS version.....looking at my self lol....

Last edited:

Conda

What about the poor people who might not be able to or willing to dishout the $$ for a Wii U & smash Wii U after already getting the 3DS version.....looking at my self lol....
That doesn't mean the majority of competitive pro players will want to play the 3ds version competitively instead of the wii u version.

Gea

Smash Master
This may sound counterintuitive, but the WiiU version actually requires less investment to be able to play at tournaments. All you need is a controller. No console, no game. There have been plenty of players that get access to the game through friends and play in tournaments despite never owning the console it is being played on, let alone the game.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
The 3DS version will be completely irrelevant competitively after the Wii U version comes out. It's a million times easier to host tournaments from a console and the quality is a lot higher. It will also very likely have a much better list of stages for competitive use, which is currently a major problem on the 3DS version. At best, the 3DS version will be a side event.

Chilex

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Chilex

The physics of each version could end up being subtly but significantly different from one another.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 245254

The physics of each version could end up being subtly but significantly different from one another.
This is a rather bold claim with, I feel, extremely little (none) evidence existing to support it.

One might say the two are intended to be the same so the transference of your playing skill between the two is minimized.

In any case it seems the most obvious conclusion to make is that they will be the same mechanically but I guess we'll find out eventually.

Chilex

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Chilex
This is a rather bold claim with, I feel, extremely little (none) evidence existing to support it.

One might say the two are intended to be the same so the transference of your playing skill between the two is minimized.

In any case it seems the most obvious conclusion to make is that they will be the same mechanically but I guess we'll find out eventually.
I still have doubts they'll be precisely the same in terms of physics and mechanics. Who knows, maybe they'll have slight speed differences.

Last edited:

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
I still have doubts they'll be precisely the same in terms of physics and mechanics. Who knows, maybe they'll have slight speed differences.
The mere existence of the cstick can make some ATs more feasible, or even let them exist at all. Although the new 3DS will also have that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom