• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How long bananas last

DiabeticFox

Smash Cadet
I did some very thorough testing with the banana peels and would like to share this information with all of you. Obviously, a lot of information is already available about the banana. This includes:

Catching the banana with aerial moves
picking it up with the dash attack
glide tossing
smash down b
etc.

What I want to share is the stuff I tested but couldn't find here. First of all, the banana peels Diddy pulls out are exactly the same as the item that randomly appears if you were to actually play with items, except the obvious automatic ownership that Diddy gets with it, and the 2 peel limit. Once a banana peel has an owner (immediately when Diddy whips it out), it lasts for approximately 8.2 seconds WHILE IT IS ON THE GROUND. I can't give frame information without an AR or similar device, but you can pretty much count on it to last 8 seconds.

What this means is that every banana peel has a set timer that only winds down when it is on the ground. You can NOT reset the timer by any means (i.e. If you toss a banana, wait 4 seconds, and pick it up, it has about 4 more seconds of ground time before disappearing). That's all there is to it. Obviously, when your opponent slips the peel shoots up in the air, thus this air time does not wind down the timer. Any other circumstances you can think of (I tested the ones I could think of) can be explained with this rule.

To summarize: On the ground they wear out, everything else makes them last longer.

Robiin

Smash Cadet
So, if you throw it upwards, or while the nanner is in the air, the timer stops? You said ONLY on the ground, but just wanted to make things clear ^^

DiabeticFox

Smash Cadet
So, if you throw it upwards, or while the nanner is in the air, the timer stops? You said ONLY on the ground, but just wanted to make things clear ^^
Yes, that is exactly right. You can easily test this for yourself. Go into training mode and pull out a banana, then pick it up or catch it before it hits the ground. Pull a second one out and leave it there. Repeatedly throw the banana upwards and catch it before it hits the ground. When the peel on the ground disappears, repeat the process as long as you care to. It should become pretty obvious extremely quickly.

Top Bottom