• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How I think the video game controller can be improved

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I was inspired to make this after hearing non-stop complaining of people who would simply not let the GameCube controller go after the fact Nintendo is cutting out its support. So I made an idea on how it can be a win-win for everyone:

Tell me what you think. I for one really hope this dream will become a reality one day.

D

Deleted member

Last edited by a moderator:

mood4food77

Smash Hero
the original xbox controller sucked, it was awkward to hit the black and white buttons, hence why they got rid of them

there's nothing wrong with the controllers, heck, the 360 controller is pretty optimal for right now, why change something that isn't broken

the amount of buttons is fine, unless you find a more optimal set up

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
@The Paprika Killer

You couldn't do that with the GameCube controller and yet people can't get enough of it for Smash Bros. Plus I've played games like Marvel vs. Capcom 2/3 and Street Fighter with a normal 4 face button controller and I didn't like that two of the buttons had to placed on the shoulder part. But when I bought my fight pad for the Xbox I fell in love with it. Besides no law said your thumb had to be on top of ALL buttons: 4 can be under your thumb while the other 2 are mere millimeters always. Plus the GameCube controller is just plain awful for SNES game that use the Y/B for run/jump (trying to play Super Mario World on the Wii with a GameCube controller was the biggest reason why I bought a Classic Controller). Not to mention it felt odd to use the right analog stick to do the C Buttons on an N64 game on the Virtual Console. So those are experiences I've had to ask to bring the 6 face buttons back.

@mood4food77. There's no denying that Microsoft made a bad controller for the Xbox but I've play a third party controller that played like a DREAM and made me get rid of the Microsoft-made controller.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
the gamecube controller is perfect for smash and is fine, it's different but it works, some double button presses are weird though

the fight stick works great because you aren't using 1 finger for 6 buttons, you're using you're entire hand

the 4 face button controller just maximizes the overall functionality of the controller without being too complicated

the object of a controller is to make sure you can hit all buttons comfortably, and outside of hitting both horizontal or both vertical buttons at the same time, you're pretty free to do everything

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I said fight PAD not fight STICK

The point I'm getting at is a controller that can cover multiple things rather than specific ones.

finalark

SNORLAX
I was about to link a Saturn controller, but it looks like you got that covered.

The four buttons are fine IMO. As someone who actually owns a Saturn having fix under one thumbs gets really confusing very quickly.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
Where would the buttons fit?
I loved the 6 button Mega Drive controller, but that had the sort of fat boomerang shape like the fightpad's have. How would you fit those buttons on a controller with analog sticks without stretching the controller or shrinking the buttons?
Aside from fighting games the only games that use a 6 button controller would be games from when 6 button controllers were the thing, so SNES, MD, and Saturn etc., ergo you don't need them nowadays because games don't use them anymore and ergonomically they're better off without 6 buttons. Plus, if you want it for old games then the MadCatz fightpads work well enough for that, raised D-Pad aside.

Top Bottom