• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How Good is My Ike?

70el

Smash Rookie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHuZouOzNIw

I just made this video of me fighting various characters. Yes, they are CPU's, I didn't have any people to brawl that day :(

What do you think? Any tips? Am I good enough to enter tournaments? Ill probably put some videos of me playing humans later cuz I know its not completely accurate to judge skill whilst playing CPUs.

PS. Sorry for the not so outstanding quality :ohwell:

-mugen-

Smash Journeyman
This video is the epitome of why you can't judge someone skills on CPUs. You were using Ike's most predictable approach (short hopped fairs, well maybe QD is a little more predictable) and it worked 100% of the time...

You didn't have anyone to play with that day? So instead of waiting to get a recording, you put videos of you fighting CPUs... Yeah... I'd play some real people and then try again.

The guides are great for beginners. Take a look at them.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Yeah I would suggest you put up Brawls vs humans, I watchedt hat video and I am like...okay, so he can beat up a bunch of "lv 9" CPUs, but I know that even a mediocre Meta Knight for example would not fall for the same trick so many times, in this case dair spikes.

what I can tell you to improve on though, is that you shouldn't use smash attacks when the enemy is at that low of a %age, yes Ike has the godpower but that won't get you anywhere if it doesn't connect, and they usually leave a lot of room for punishment, not to mention his Smashes won't really kill until after 50% fully charged. When you were fighting that D3 I noticed somewhere in there you let him come back to the stage, you know if you used your d-tilt it has the same spiking property as Dair and may sometimes serve as a safer method of edgecamping? Try to use Nair a little bit more for short-hopped approaches, it hits all around him and compared to the other aerials approaches has no landing lag. I also saw that there was no grabgame, I know Ike's grab is not impressive but can lead to combos, for example the infamous D-throw to Aether/Uair can rake up some decrnt damage, as well as a F/B-throw over the edge to a charged Smash, some opponents will try to recover back up to the stage but can sometimes fall into the smash which leads to a kill. Lastly if for whatever reason you can't do SHAA (Short-Hopped Aerial Approaches) try quickdraws, but be careful with this, if you miss there is ending lag where that would have deadly results, if you come up short on the Quickdraw you can follow up with a Grand-Viper (F-tilt) or the simple AAA combo, the beauty of quickdraw is that if you don't do the initial strike, is that tehre is very little landing lag which can throw off an opponent.

Maybe some other people can lend you advice but that's my two cents.

70el

Smash Rookie
Thanks both of ya. But the reason I did CPU's instead of what I would regularly do is my wii's internet connection thing is not working for some odd reason and I have no clue how to fix it.

But do know that I have been playing smash bros since the day melee came out so I'm not a beginner. Also I probably would not fight that predictably unless only CPU's. Thanks for the advice tho!

-mugen-

Smash Journeyman
if you come up short on the Quickdraw you can follow up with a Grand-Viper (F-tilt)
Grand viper is u-tilt, and it's not a really smart thing to do most of the time. AAA comes out much quicker, and so is just overall more effective in using the low post lag of QD effectively.

Wifi is usually frowned upon too, btw. I don't mind if it's lagless... Some just won't have it period. So, you can't play anyone locally?

70el

Smash Rookie
Grand viper is u-tilt, and it's not a really smart thing to do most of the time. AAA comes out much quicker, and so is just overall more effective in using the low post lag of QD effectively.

Wifi is usually frowned upon too, btw. I don't mind if it's lagless... Some just won't have it period. So, you can't play anyone locally?
I could but besides a select few (which arent exacltly close by) nobody I know is really good at all. But I will put i video up as soon as i can so yah.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581

It's really up-tilt? I once killed a Snake using that Grand-Viper technique but with f-tilt...Well, Ya learn something new everyday then.

Havoc Cycle

Smash Rookie
Adding onto the grand viper comment...yeah I'd go with QD to jab+JabCancel then u tilt and chase.

Eruption for edgeguard.

Aproach with Nair instead of Fair.

Top Bottom