• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How good is meta knight?

horizons889

Smash Apprentice
Is there an overall general consensus for where meta-knight stands in the tier list? I see some people rate him top 10. For instance, Mr. R thought he was top 7 or 8 (I heard him say on stream) and the Japanese tier lists have rated him very high as well- above Fox, Pikachu, Falcon, etc. I know most US players probably think he's just mid-tier. But lately it feels like a lot of people are noticing how strong he is. Anyways, a big reason I'm making this post is because I think meta-knight is a really cool character and I've been considering making him one of my mains. I only play fox and ness mainly, but as a kirby fan and seeing how cool meta-knight is with his flappy bat wings, it makes me excited to see his potential. What do you guys think?

2Quick

Smash Rookie
I'd say tied for top 8 with Villager for potential. He has a tool that gives him a decent matchup against most of the cast, so when he's played at top level like Abadongo, Leo, Tyrant, or Ito, he is a major threat. Though, you may want to wait for Bonk!, Warionumbah2, Ulevo, since they're more experienced with MUs and their opinion will be above mine.

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
6th or 7th. Depends on your opinion on Pika. I think MK is better than Pika so I think he's 6th. Also, we have a q&a thread~

Shady Shaymin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4098-3217-2048
as someone who dual mains pika and mk i personally get better results with pikachu, but that may just be because i am better with pika and pika generally has better top tier matchups. mk does have quite an easier time killing though. i think he might be a little bit lower just because mk has less options for mixups than pika does, and a worse neutral. they're definitely within the same general spot on the tier list.

Shady Shaymin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4098-3217-2048
At this point pikachu shouldn't be on the same wave length as mk along with other top tiers. Such an overrated rat.
Definitely. He's pretty light which is only somewhat ameliorated by his good recovery. He's fast, but his approaches are pretty telegraphed if you know the matchup. His range isn't too great either. His aerial combos are great but the window gets smaller the further you go up the percents.

By the way, I'mkidding. All that was actually me talking about metaknight.

Shuckle_SSB

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DarkFire5136
3DS FC
4124-5307-8608
He's VERY good. Much untapped potential in my eyes. If you're curious about his tournament viability as well, with enough work he is definitely a foe to contend with. He is also really fun to play lol.
I don't think anyone besides Top 3 have a general consensus for where they lie on a tier list. He is definitely High Tier though. Top 15 AT LEAST no doubt about it.

Shady Shaymin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4098-3217-2048
Mk is probably the best solo viable in the roster just because his uair stuff can upset any matchup

Shuckle_SSB

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DarkFire5136
3DS FC
4124-5307-8608
Yeah I feel he is loads better as a solo main. Good examples are definitely Tyrant, Ito, and Leo.

jigglesthepuff

Smash Apprentice
That's just not true.
really? i thought he did. i'll have to do some more research on that.
Your reasoning for mk not being a top tier is that he's not like brawl. The first sentence was a huge turn off and i mean HUGE. I'll be shocked if any MK main reads past that point.
yea, i could've worded that a little better. i was just saying that some of his moves lost the utility that they had, but some of his other attributes, (like his air speed,) got buffed in this game. it hit him hard, but not enough to make him go down significantly like marth and falco did.

Shuckle_SSB

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DarkFire5136
3DS FC
4124-5307-8608
His justification for being a top tier is there. His kill combo is just too good to overlook. Even with optimal DI anybody can die SUPER early.

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
Smashboards the pinnacle of relevant and compelling discussion since 1876

βℓµε ℱⱡαmε

Smash Rookie
NNID
brandonriess8
3DS FC
2449-5200-1880
I'm going to be nice here and assume this is a serious inquiry. It would seem you haven't been keeping up with the metagame since mid-2015, so allow me to fill you in. Meta Knight, ever since 1.1.0 (his last notable change) has been considered a top tier by most relevant players. He plays a unique, patient neutral and has a kill confirm that rivals that of the Ice Climbers' chaingrab in Brawl. Outside of this, he has many attributes that make him a solid and strong character. His recovery is nothing short of excellent, having options in the form of Drill Rush, Shuttle Loop, and Dimensional Cape alongside his 5 double jumps. His offstage game is scary, with edgeguarding options such as N-air and B-air which can be used to gimp recoveries and kill at fairly early percents. As a reward for playing patiently and waiting for whiffs, he gets a DA/DG, both of which can lead to insane follow-ups, whether they rack damage or kill. His u-smash is a fantastic kill move and an anti-air, his f-smash has next to no end lag and ridiculous killing power, and he has a plethora of options to apply and maintain pressure once he gets in. Of course, he loses to Sheik (who doesn't?), but the majority of his MUs are in his favor or even. I'm going to link you to Bonk!'s Meta Knight guide.

http://smashboards.com/guides/know-...meta-knight-update-rapid-jab-edge-cancel.433/

Check that out and learn the basics of the character and how exactly he is played. He is rewarded greatly for patience and a good understanding of whiff-punishment. Just read up and feel out the character. Then just see if he's a fit for you. I'm sorry if the other Knights were being hostile. You heard me, other Knights...

Top Bottom