• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How good are you at SHDL/RSHDL. Tips as well.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Hmm I didn't play at all this weekend because I was too busy playing poker lol. I will do the 5 minute thing today.

Goldkirby

Smash Ace
37 posts (38) and 397 views? Where are the people asking tips? ^^
Hmm, since you want a questions, I have one related to lasers, although not completely just applied to dshl

How do your rshl/rdshl and actually move back a decent amount? When I try to do it, fox moves back like 2 inches, and I think it is because I do it like this:

sh -> laser -> press back on the control stick -> ff if I have time. Yes, I suck at rshl, I know, I know :(

To get more distance, do you have to dash back first, turn, sh, then laser?

v3x?

Smash Journeyman
you have to dash > jump > press back > return to neutral > laser twice. and repeat.

Oskurito

Smash Lord
You've got to do it as soon after the dash so you keep the momentum of the dash so you can cover more distance

Goldkirby

Smash Ace
So what you guys are saying is dash fowards first, and somehow that momentum will get transferred when I press back in the air?

Oskurito

Smash Lord
So what you guys are saying is dash fowards first, and somehow that momentum will get transferred when I press back in the air?
Hmm to be more exactly the dash gives you a momentum that makes you slide backwards and at the same time carries you more distance after your RSHDL, this can be useful because we can instant edgehog after a RSHDL and... well is just some fancy stuff ^^

KingJiggyWiggy

Smash Lord
I can SHDL at will but both of the lasers will only hit some characters:

Marth (standing), Ganandorf (running or standing), Link (SOMETIMES when he is standing), Samus (SOMETIMES when she is standing), Captain Falcon (SOMETIMES when he is standing), and Bowser (standing). But Donkey Kong. . . . I'm not sure about him so I will have to test it out.

You can also use SHDL when somebody is jumping but I would just SHLFF on every other character.

TheBlackrose

Smash Journeyman
i can only SHDL using the control stick wich makes it useless in real matches cuz im programed to jump with x ...is it possible to do it with x, y, and the control stick and if so can n e 1 give me tips to master it

TheBlackrose

Smash Journeyman
I do it by sliding my thumb from y to b, then b again really quick. It's much harder to do with x because x is way farther away.
yeah thats true but its still hard for me with y becuz im used to jumping with x...but does any one use up?... cuz thats the easiest way for me tho i hate to jump with up

Oskurito

Smash Lord
Using the control stick for this is the easiest way to master SHDL. I do it with the control stick all the time in serious matches or friendlies, I also RSHDL very well now that I've learned the timing. The X and B method isn't too hard I was trying it and I get some SHDL, but I still feel more comfortable with the control stick, note that I not short hop with the control stick I just switch to it when I'm SHDL/RSHDL

TheBlackrose

Smash Journeyman
Using the control stick for this is the easiest way to master SHDL. I do it with the control stick all the time in serious matches or friendlies, I also RSHDL very well now that I've learned the timing. The X and B method isn't too hard I was trying it and I get some SHDL, but I still feel more comfortable with the control stick, note that I not short hop with the control stick I just switch to it when I'm SHDL/RSHDL
thats the way i was trying too do it so ill prolly keep practicing it that way

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Hmm there probably won't be videos of me doing it sorry!!!! No one really had a camera at the tourny and the only person who did was only recording majoras play.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
so now that we've established hylian needs to sop bragging about how amazing he is and learn that being able to RSHDL moving accross the stage will not magically make you win, and also established that there's nothing hard about an SHDL, you just need fast enough fingers, can we shut this down?

Unless anyone can actually think of questions besides "Do yuo SHDL w/ the stick x or y cuz i can't do it and i want to be 1337 so which do you use so i'll use that also?" which is a crappy question, it's like asking "which is better, R or L".

Yes, I'm a *******. No, I don't care.

devilishchart

Smash Rookie
It's funny how you write DSHL more than you write SHDL in the first post lol.
Anyway I think SHDL is fairly easy to perform but I still think SHL is way more useful, but that's just me...

KingJiggyWiggy

Smash Lord
Get used to using Y man.

Try forcing your hand to move as fast as it can (not just your thumb). It might hurt at first but if you get it down than the next day it won't be nearly as hard. Its kinda like weight lifting; you might start squatting 150 but the next time you lift you are going to lift 160.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Lasering can help you win. It is a really great frustration tactic and can create openings in your opponents gameplay which fox is really good at punishing. A fox that can laser effectivly and be smart about it is very hard to play. They tack on damage while spacing themselves properly to punish your mistakes. And it's not like you have to laser the whole match. Keeping your playstyle varied is also very effective.

For example if you were to play defensivly with lasers the first match and win your opponent might pick a character that they think can handel that style along with a stage and then you can either counterpick another character based on the stage or stay fox and play agressivly throwing them off completly. Winning isn't just about winning one match at a time. You have to think about stage counterpicks and well as character counterpicks especially if you only play one character. If you can win the first match the advantage is yours.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
Lasering can help you win. It is a really great frustration tactic and can create openings in your opponents gameplay which fox is really good at punishing. A fox that can laser effectivly and be smart about it is very hard to play. They tack on damage while spacing themselves properly to punish your mistakes. And it's not like you have to laser the whole match. Keeping your playstyle varied is also very effective.

For example if you were to play defensivly with lasers the first match and win your opponent might pick a character that they think can handel that style along with a stage and then you can either counterpick another character based on the stage or stay fox and play agressivly throwing them off completly. Winning isn't just about winning one match at a time. You have to think about stage counterpicks and well as character counterpicks especially if you only play one character. If you can win the first match the advantage is yours.
Lasering effecitively can HELP you win, but it's still more important to do everything else fox is about. and i didn't lasering couldn't be very effective. I said specifically RSHDLing in motion. i said that won't make you win because you can use it. that's like the most specific type of lasering you can learn, and you can do without it. Sure, i'm not saying it's bad to learn. BUt if there's something else you're having trouble with, you should probably learn it before RSHDLing in motion. if you can shl, rshl, triple laser, reverse triple laser, and shdl, you'll do in most cases just as well as someone who can RSHDL accross the stage.
\

In conclusion RSHDLing in motion can help but it's not essential.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a laser *****. (comes from playing falco). sure, it's good to learn if you have nothing else to do. but you don't have to.

om3n, a jc shine is canceling the lag of the shine by jumping. a shdl is a short hop double laser. and rshdl is a reverse short hop double laser (using a reverse neutral b)

SCOTU

Smash Hero
om3n, a jc shine is canceling the lag of the shine by jumping. a shdl is a short hop double laser. and rshdl is a reverse short hop double laser (using a reverse neutral b)
no sir. a jc shine is in fact the other way around, it cancels your jump w/ a shine before leaving the ground, like a jc grab, but w/ a shine. Used for multishining and shield shining.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
that's ********. whatever. i hate this whole naming system. it makes no sense. jump cancled grabs should be grabs that are cancled by jumps. but ti's the opposite.

so when we say jump cancel your shines, we mean cancel the shines with jumps, but when we say jump cancled shines, we're talking about jumps cancled by shines? It makes no sense.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
jump canceled shines /grabs/smashes are shines/grabs/smashes that take place after a canceled jump. When you say "jump cancel you shines" it says to cancel your shines w/ a jump , very straight forward.

Kada

Smash Journeyman
Well, two different techniques can have the same name. Just like crouch cancelling to have less knockback, or crouch cancelling to stop a dash...

You can jump out of your shine, which some would call a "jump cancel," since you cancel lag by jumping. In the same way, right after you jump, you can shine again, in order to cancel the jump, which can also be called a "jump cancel,"

So technically, multishining involves 2 different kinds of "jump cancelling"

SCOTU

Smash Hero
hmmm... what is with this whole naming scheme issue. crouch canceling is being in the state of crouching while being hit. That is it. the "crouch canceling to stop a dash" is actually know as dash canceling. as in a dash canceled forward smash. and no. jumping out of a shine to cancel the lag is drastically different than what is termed JCing a shine. Completely different things, although ppl often jump out of shines into JCed shines. aka multishining.

Kada

Smash Journeyman
hmmm... what is with this whole naming scheme issue. crouch canceling is being in the state of crouching while being hit. That is it. the "crouch canceling to stop a dash" is actually know as dash canceling. as in a dash canceled forward smash. and no. jumping out of a shine to cancel the lag is drastically different than what is termed JCing a shine. Completely different things, although ppl often jump out of shines into JCed shines. aka multishining.

Yeah, I confused myself there for a second. But really, what this actually comes down to is a single person's personal preference on what to call things. Some people will call jumping out of a shine "jump cancelling," because it makes sense. Some people will call shining in your take off frames to be "jump cancelling," because it also makes sense. I've seen many people use both at the same time. No one's really right or wrong. Heck, in the end, you're still doing the actions, so the names are irrelevant :p. In the same way, some people find different names for them. I may just be living under a rock, but I haven't personally heard "dash cancelling" a dash near as much as I've heard "crouch cancelling" a dash. Again, conflicting opinion on what to call things =P

"There is no right or wrong, only perspective and opinion" - Squall, Final Fantasy VIII.

Giggidax

Smash Ace
scotu wat ur talking about is infinite jc shines. i can see where ur confused. and its such a hassle to have to put the word infinite in front of the name just so we all understand wat ur talking about

Top Bottom