• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How exactly does Shield Break work?

MrWeavile

Smash Apprentice
I got broken by a shield breaker that was charged less than half a second on about a 80-90% shield. Did they buff it that much? I was puff so obviously I died instantly. Took me by surprise.

KoRLumen

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KoRLumen
3DS FC
3437-3066-8679
IIRC Lucina's shield breaker breaks at a lower charge than Marth's. Don't take my word for that though.

I'm pretty sure they did buff it. Didn't Sakurai mention buffing it because people didn't use it enough?

And I think at full charge, it'll kill at 65%. So yeah.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
IIRC Lucina's shield breaker breaks at a lower charge than Marth's. Don't take my word for that though.

I'm pretty sure they did buff it. Didn't Sakurai mention buffing it because people didn't use it enough?

And I think at full charge, it'll kill at 65%. So yeah.
He did mention that.

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
Tipped Shield Breaker on Marth is very nearly enough to break shield uncharged. I've seen it break afterwards from them holding it just a moment too long. Lucina's is also quite potent now, though not quite to that extent.

Alaya

Smash Cadet
I make air approaches into quarter second charged shield breakers and completely break full shields pretty regularly on average to short characters. I think the idea behind the buff was so that people actually had to.... you know... not mindlessly shield against a shield breaker move and expect it to be ok even if it's not fully charged. I actually punish shield breaks... with a full charged shield breaker at low percents because of how ridiculously unnecessary the power of the full version is.

Nasreth

Smash Cadet
without any charge at all lucina's SB will take your shield down low enough that if you hold it for about 0.5 to 1 second after it will break. with a small charge it will break your shield guaranteed unless you get a perfectly timed shield, in which case you will take zero shield damage regardless of the charge on SB. if you want to see the latter happen frequently, play against a level 9 computer. they have absurd perfect shield reflexes.

Lew Paue

Smash Rookie
NNID
Ponceman
3DS FC
4382-2004-7067
even with less than a half sec charge if any at all can break many shields in one go unless power shielded, can even put bowsers into a shield so small that it will break extremely fast if they dont instantly take their finger off the shield

Top Bottom