• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How exactly does one beat a Bowser?

-Se7en-

Banned via Warnings
The Super Armor kills me, what beats super armor? The only way I can beat Bowser is chaingrabs. Even then I still win by one stock.

I don't understand why his Usmash has to spike, his Dsmash has to be hard to SDI and why his dash attack comes out so quickly. I can be halfway across the stage dash dancing and flame can still reach me.

I don't understand this character. Does he have Super Armor on the Results Screen pose too?

SazoonTheBoon

Smash Apprentice
Bowser doesn't have super armour, he has heavy armour on a lot of his moves. Also just space around his slow attacks. He's not invincible the whole time and you can bait attacks out of him fairly well

-Se7en-

Banned via Warnings
Warning Received
Piss easy to edgeguard recovery, stupid easy to combo, slow moves you can space around ... you're right, this character is unbeatable.
Thanks for your input asshole. A simple question but you have to be an asshole about it.

Thanks to everyone who can answer a question without being a sarcastic piece of **** who doesn't go through every character thread.

Seriously, go **** yourself.

Last edited:

frangow

Smash Rookie
Hello.

Im a bowser player, but the scene in brazil is not that good for PM.

Still, in my opinion the most annoying thing is grab game.
Try to use a lot of grabs in your game.

Also, be carefull when punishing laggy moves, because the upb comes out quite fast and I feel like it changes the hitbox or gives invulnerability for some frames, cause a lot of punishes just miss and they take the upb.

Be carefull with the command grab option when teching or using shield on platform, and try to abuse his bad recovery.

Also, the tip on baiting the laggy moves like dash attack can work.

Mr. Bones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bones-kun
3DS FC
3797-8360-5628
The Super Armor kills me, what beats super armor? The only way I can beat Bowser is chaingrabs. Even then I still win by one stock.

I don't understand why his Usmash has to spike, his Dsmash has to be hard to SDI and why his dash attack comes out so quickly. I can be halfway across the stage dash dancing and flame can still reach me.

I don't understand this character. Does he have Super Armor on the Results Screen pose too?
If you're winning with chain grabs, keep doing it. Just because he's not easy to 4 stock doesn't mean he's unbalanced.

Super armor is a gimmick really. Usmash spike is hard to get unless the opponent doesn't put out a hitbox for a recovery. Dsmash needed some utility as a reliable kill move since it didn't really do anything in 3.02. Dash Attack is a punish against poorly spaced/reckless attacks. It's easy to punish on shield. Flame doesn't have that much reach, just jump over him if you think it's coming (it's pretty telegraphed even if they decide to go for flame cancel because they have to short hop)

Just bait him out. He's better/faster in 3.5 than he has been in the past but he still has some of the same key weaknesses. Be patient.

Thanks for your input *******. A simple question but you have to be an ******* about it.

Thanks to everyone who can answer a question without being a sarcastic piece of **** who doesn't go through every character thread.

Seriously, go **** yourself.
Get some thicker skin. You shouldn't let stuff like this bother you. It's easier to perform well when you don't let sarcasm/trash talk/emotions control you.

Taytertot

Smash Ace

I'd imagine that if your having that much difficulty with bowser then your probably going in a little too hard. bowser has slow moves and like every character with slow moves, if you can bait out an attack then just wait for the ending lag and punish hard. This is why most bowser players (and heavy characters in general) play careful because if they just throw out attacks it is usually very easy to counter with shield grab or dash dance back and hit them. Bowser is easy to juggle so once you get a solid hit in (depending on your character) you should be able to get a good combo. If your playing a bowser who likes to punish reads then faking an approach, avoiding the attack and punishing his/her punish will do well. Yes bowser has armor on many attacks as well as crouch has some armor, but at the end of his armor attacks bowser will have a fair amount of lag without armor so just remember that you cant try to challenge bowsers attacks with an attack, you need to be patient and hit him afterward. Does that answer your question?

Osmosis124

Smash Cadet
It's also very important to not pick a smaller stage where Bowser has a large advantage (his only advantage).
FD IMO is one of his worst stages.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Yeahhhh while Bowser has received noticable improvements to his movement and pool of options...

All of those magically disappear when you take away platforms, stick him on a flat surface, and ask him to perform on it. Probably his worst stage especially against anyone faster than him (hint: All of the cast)

-Se7en-

Banned via Warnings
Thanks guys, I didn't really dash dance and punish and that was probably the biggest thing for me.

Who do you guys think has the best edge on him? Falco, Fox, Marth or Sheik?

Mr. Bones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bones-kun
3DS FC
3797-8360-5628
Thanks guys, I didn't really dash dance and punish and that was probably the biggest thing for me.

Who do you guys think has the best edge on him? Falco, Fox, Marth or Sheik?
I'd say Sheik, personally. The Spacies and Marth feel easier for me at least.

Frost | Odds

Puddings: 1 /// Odds: 0
At an extremely high level: Fox.

At a level where you'd feel the need to ask that question: almost certainly sheik, at least unless/until your movement and general game with Marth is a lot better.

Abeebo

Smash Journeyman
A strong grab game and a lot of patience.

EDIT: All a Bowser has to do on FD is camp the ledge hardcore(SORRY DUDES ITS STILL A STRATEGY). The majority will ALWAYS go in too early at some point. Only the most determined will camp along with you. At that point you become 'that guy', and should just get 4-stocked like the rest of us.

Last edited:
Top Bottom