• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How does your king rule?

PastLink

Smash Journeyman
I'm still getting my sea legs as far as project m goes. so my tech skill isn't where it needs to be. irregardless i really enjoy playing DDD, i find him very fun and satisfying to play. but every player has they're style, irregardless of what the general consensus of what his metagame should be. so i'm wondering for the small amount of kings here. how do you guys roll? what do you prefer to do with the king penguin most?

for me, i like to play agressive with short hopped aerials. though playing agressive seems to be risky with DDD i like the payoff of the damage i can rack up, as well as the kills and even gimps. but equally, i can miss an L-cancel, or whiff and get punished. i space and zone occasionally, but as soon as i get the chance i try to get in for damage.

so how do you rule fellow smashers?

Roche_CL

Smash Journeyman
I play him mid range, try to space with tilts and grabs.
My approach is running and shielding and CCing a loooot, CC --> grab is so good on DDD. I like grabing a lot since it has an amazing range and his grab options are really good, and sending them off stage is almost a secure kill.
Since i play in mid range, if i catch the opponent hessitating, I sometimes randomly Fsmash, if you are in low % you can risk and do it, the rewards for hitting a Fsmash is so good, kills in 60-70%, and it can also spike for edgeguarding.
Random dash attack is also good, the armor it has really surprises enemies and can get you the kill when they are in high % and the only thing you are doing is grabing and nothing else.

KarmaJolt

Smash Cadet
Against tall characters that like to poke you from underneath platforms (Marth, 'Dorf, etc.) sometimes I will harass them with multiple SHFFL'd down-airs. Dedede's hammer can poke pretty far down through platforms. Not many will expect this, and it's kind of silly, but it can get you out of trouble and rack up some cheap percent. Furthermore, if the last hit of the down-air connects, it will bounce your opponent upward, which can lead to D-smash, or Down-B, or Grab.

Of course, they will learn to avoid it pretty easily, so wait until they forget about it to try again.

Also, "irregardless?" lol

MoonlapseOpethian

Smash Journeyman
Against tall characters that like to poke you from underneath platforms (Marth, 'Dorf, etc.) sometimes I will harass them with multiple SHFFL'd down-airs. Dedede's hammer can poke pretty far down through platforms. Not many will expect this, and it's kind of silly, but it can get you out of trouble and rack up some cheap percent. Furthermore, if the last hit of the down-air connects, it will bounce your opponent upward, which can lead to D-smash, or Down-B, or Grab.

Of course, they will learn to avoid it pretty easily, so wait until they forget about it to try again.

Also, "irregardless?" lol

IKR? Irregardless isn't a word. Regardless pretty much adds the "irr" to it all by itself.

ZeroPeachDedede

Smash Rookie
Against people who like to lure me in for the kill, I use his side A attack (not his smash); up close, I use his basic A combo and also utilize grabbing and throwing; for enemies above and/or below me, I use his down- and up+ A attacks. His standing down+A (again, not his smash) is also good for distance and damage.
If I'm in a group battle and no one is paying enough attention to Dedede, I can try out his up+B special for a good incoming attack.

Basically, offense and defense need to be balanced with him, since he's a very slow fighter. I've had enough practice, so I have his moves down.

Top Bottom