• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How does Shulk's Counter calculate knockback?

Monado Boy

Smash Cadet
I've just been wondering how Knockback is calculated in Shulk's counter. What made me curious about this, is that I just finished up a game where I KO'd a Greninja twice countering his uncharged Shuriken. He was at about 90% both times, and I used the version of the counter that happens if you press forward. (This was on Final Destination). Another confusing case was when I KO'd a Sheik at 56% when I used the forward counter on her F-Air. (This was on Brinstar)

I wasn't in Monado Smash during either of these instances.

Last edited:
Damage also contributes to counter's knockback (Except with buster because buster reduces knockback) and since Shulk's counter has a multiplier (x1.3 for default, x1.5 for power, x1.0 for dash), that also contributes to the knockback

Shulk's counter has no knockback multiplier or anything of the sorts

Monado Boy

Smash Cadet
Damage also contributes to counter's knockback (Except with buster because buster reduces knockback) and since Shulk's counter has a multiplier (x1.3 for default, x1.5 for power, x1.0 for dash), that also contributes to the knockback

Shulk's counter has no knockback multiplier or anything of the sorts
Ah, I see. So Shulk's counter has it's own Knockback, instead of reflecting it like Ike or Marth's. Thanks for the info!

(Unless I'm just being dumb and misreading what you said)

Last edited:

Rakurai

Smash Ace
All of the counters with multipliers are the same.

The damage they deal is equal to however much damage the countered attack would've dealt times the counter's multiplier, unless it's lower then the counter's minimum damage value.

If the resulting damage comes out higher then the counter's minimum damage value, the knockback will increase proportionately. That said, moves that do high damage but have little knockback (IE, anything from a Monado Buster using Shulk), will produce more devastating counters then moves with low damage and high knockback will.

Last edited:

N7Kopper

Smash Apprentice
NNID
N7Kopper
3DS FC
2895-9534-7967
All of the counters with multipliers are the same.

The damage they deal is equal to however much damage the countered attack would've dealt times the counter's multiplier, unless it's lower then the counter's minimum damage value.

If the resulting damage comes out higher then the counter's minimum damage value, the knockback will increase proportionately. That said, moves that do high damage but have little knockback (IE, anything from a Monado Buster using Shulk), will produce more devastating counters then moves with low damage and high knockback will.
And I would be right in assuming that Monado buffs are applied afterward? So you'd get your counter damage and KB, plus the potential Forward Vision bonus, then the MArt's buff/debuff effects on KB and damage would apply to that total after everything else is said and done?

Last edited:
Monado arts are applied during the counter hit so whatever buffs or debuffs they have, they factor into the knockback

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
Attacks do more damage to you when you are in Buster, so maybe that adds onto the additional put into the hit. You know what... when I get home from this class I will test this and get it all sorted out.

Attacks do more damage to you when you are in Buster, so maybe that adds onto the additional put into the hit. You know what... when I get home from this class I will test this and get it all sorted out.
Oh right. About that.... Buster's knockback reduction has a greater effect than the damage increase

So basically when using counter with buster, the knockback won't be that much even if the damage is high

The knockback of shield counter >> The knockback of buster counter

Last edited:

erico9001

NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
Okay so my first question is does counter deal more knockback/damage?
Ness PK Bomb fully charged -> Shulk's counter -> Ness. Middle of FD
46% damage, ohko

Ness PK Bomb fully charged -> Toon Link (the other 3ds does not have Ness unlocked, Toon Link is right below Ness in weight). Middle of FD.
38% damage, barely any knockback (seriously like nothing)

So... interesting. The knockback was VASTLY increased (from barely moving an inch to Ohko). Damage was increased by 8% or ×1.21.
Just in case you don't know, damage is constant per character (and just to be sure I tested that too lol)

So how much does it increase damage? Is it a constant addition, a constant multiplication, both, exponential, or something even more complex?

Sheik's needle is good for testing both knockback and damage. 2% damage.

Shulk's counter to one needle does 10% damage. It also added 8% damage to the original damage that would have been taken. Coincidence? Let's find out! One more test.

Pikachu's neutral B does 6% damage at close range, 5% medium range, and 4% damage at the way tip of its reach.
Well... this is interesting. Definitely not adding 8% damage in this case. It's doing 6% damage, in fact. That's the same damage as Pikachu's attack is doing. I guess this is not as simple as +8.

Bowser's fire breath - did 10% damage. With one hit the fire usually does 1%. I tested it again and the counter did 9% damage. I decided to kill Bowser thinking it's due to hidden decimal places, but afterwards I dealt 8% damage.

The only explanation for that is the counter has a sweetspot. That does not explain Pikachu's neutral B though.

Rosalina's fully chraged Luma shot - 22% damage. Somewhat close range. At same range without Shulk's counter it does 16% damage. An addition of 6%. At this point I'm still thinking the difference is addition and different based off of where the Monado hits the opponent. Another possibility is it is based on how long between when the counter is used and when the move hits the counter. Perhaps Pikachu's neutral B is just special in some way - maybe because it is a projectile? That seems unlikely but who knows.

Toon Link's fully charged arrow at pretty close range does 11% damage. When Shulk countered it did 13%. However, I did make a mistake with Shulk and had to counter twice before the arrow hit me. I retested at the same range and the move did 17% when Shulk countered it. I think I realize how it works now. I think that along with the frame that the counter will work decreasing, perhaps the damage done by the counter decreases as well. This works in combination with where the Monado hits the opponent to determine your damage. I must have been overusing the counter when facing Pikachu earlier.

Testing Pikachu again - Shulk does 8% damage with the counter. Pikachu's attack still does 6%. What the hell?? This makes no sense. However, I'm able to confirm that the lower interval is all that changes too, since I retested it after using the counter repeatedly and got 9% damage (difference must be sweetspot again)

Well, I guess all I can say for now is that the damage is increased between 2% and 8% when Shulk returns the hit, and that 2-8% depends somewhat on a sweetspot. There must be some other variable controlling things.

Alright, that was a bit unsatisfying. Let's test out how the Monado arts effect the damage that the counter deals.
According to Shulk's metagame thread, Buster multiplies damage dealt by 40% and increases damage taken by 20%.

Earlier I found that Shulk's counter of a fully charged PK Bomb deals 46% damage and Ohkos. Just to make sure of that, I am retesting now. This time I have a sured way of making sure they are the same distance from each other. Ok...? I got 52% damage. Let's test again? 52%. Again? 52%. Again? 52%. -Ok this time I'm going to make sure to use the counter twice in succession. 46%!! Therefore, the difference from 52% to 46% is caused by using the move multiple times in succession. This confirms that there is a sweetspot, since I was getting different values when facing Bowser's fire. However, this does not explain Pikach's Neutral B.

Back on track... Shulk in Monado Buster should deal 72.8% (73%) damage (Pk Bomb) if only the attack of the counter is effected by Monado Arts, since Buster multiplies damage by 1.4. However, it is possible that Shulk will deal extra damage because he takes additional damage himself while in Monado Buster. If this is true, he will deal out more than 73% damage. Let's test ^.^!!

Shulk deals 73% damage! Looks like the amount of damage he takes does not matter, only the damage of the opponent's attack.

That's all I'm doing for damage. Now let's look switch gears and look at knockback.

The attack with Monado Buster did still kill Ness, but it had less knockback. This proves that the knockback dealt is effected by Monado Arts.

How does Ness's PK Bomb go from almost no knockback to an Ohko? It's a tricky quesion. Let's test how the counter responds to other types of attacks.

When countered Bowser's fully charged F-Smash at the range of touching each other, Bowser gets sent just off-screen. When Bowser uses fully charged F-Smash against another Bowser, the bowser gets sent just a little bit off of FD.

How I would explain it is that the hitbox of Shulk's counter has a decent base knockback, no matter what move hits him. This explains why Shulk's counter still has okay knockback when moves that have low knockback such as bowser's fire and Sheik's needles trigger the counter. I believe that the knockback growth of Shulk's counter is what is determined by the opponent's move, but it is increased to some extent.

I think that Ness's PK Bomb is an odd case. I think it may have barely any base knockback and it makes up for it with lots of knockback growth. The knockback growth is sent to and increased (seemingly multiplied) in Shulk's counter, and is made even more deadly because Shulk's counter does have a base knockback.

Last edited:

Naeroon

Smash Rookie
Okay so my first question is does counter deal more knockback/damage?
Ness PK Bomb fully charged -> Shulk's counter -> Ness. Middle of FD
46% damage, ohko

Ness PK Bomb fully charged -> Toon Link (the other 3ds does not have Ness unlocked, Toon Link is right below Ness in weight). Middle of FD.
38% damage, barely any knockback (seriously like nothing)

So... interesting. The knockback was VASTLY increased (from barely moving an inch to Ohko). Damage was increased by 8% or ×1.21.
Just in case you don't know, damage is constant per character (and just to be sure I tested that too lol)

... ... ...

The attack with Monado Buster did still kill Ness, but it had less knockback. This proves that the knockback dealt is effected by Monado Arts.

How does Ness's PK Bomb go from almost no knockback to an Ohko? It's a tricky quesion. Let's test how the counter responds to other types of attacks.

When countered Bowser's fully charged F-Smash at the range of touching each other, Bowser gets sent just off-screen. When Bowser uses fully charged F-Smash against another Bowser, the bowser gets sent just a little bit off of FD.

How I would explain it is that the hitbox of Shulk's counter has a decent base knockback, no matter what move hits him. This explains why Shulk's counter still has okay knockback when moves that have low knockback such as bowser's fire and Sheik's needles trigger the counter. I believe that the knockback growth of Shulk's counter is what is determined by the opponent's move, but it is increased to some extent.

I think that Ness's PK Bomb is an odd case. I think it may have barely any base knockback and it makes up for it with lots of knockback growth. The knockback growth is sent to and increased (seemingly multiplied) in Shulk's counter, and is made even more deadly because Shulk's counter does have a base knockback.
I hope I don't get in trouble for bumping this, but I came here specifically due to a recent game I had with this exact situation. I was playing a shulk, landed a fully-charged PK Flash which he proceeded to counter, and was ROCKETED off the screen at 48%. Like, absolutely no chance of recovering, a true OHKO. I use PK flash often enough to know that it's never a OHKO like that unless the enemy has at least a decent percentage on them already, and coupled with the fact that I struggle against Shulks as Ness anyways, it was both confusing and frustrating. I've been playing smash since it came out on the N64 when I was five, and I've never witnessed ANYBODY flying off the screen with that much momentum at 48%, no matter how lightweight they are.

While I'll admit I'm clearly biased (who isn't), I still think that an attack capable of rocketing someone off the screen with that much speed at 48% is completely silly. No attack, especially a counter, should be able to do that.

Last edited:

Rakurai

Smash Ace
That's really not that surprising at all, considering that you can nearly OHKO someone at 0% if you counter something like a Hammer or Golden Hammer, which do 26% and 30% damage respectively. PK Flash does a massive 36% damage at a full charge.

Counters also have a much higher base knockback then the moves they're countering, which is why they can OHKO when the move that's being countered would barely budge someone at 0%.

I don't see any issue with how strong counters are, either, since you shouldn't be throwing out laggy attacks if your opponent is any position to punish you for them in the first place.

Last edited:

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
If ya didn't like Vision,

Power Vision will forcefully condition you to not use moves like that. I'd hate to see a G&W throw out a random Judge & it ending up to be a 9 & Shulk ruining his day by Vision countering it. Poor G&W. .

Last edited:

Rakurai

Smash Ace
Power Vision is kind of hard to connect with due to it removing the slowdown effect and having a slightly longer time before the attack triggers.

It's still unblockable, though, so you're limited to dodging it or getting out of the way.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Power Vision is kind of hard to connect with due to it removing the slowdown effect and having a slightly longer time before the attack triggers.

It's still unblockable, though, so you're limited to dodging it or getting out of the way.
To clarify Power Vision has the slowing effect, but it's noticeably shorter range than Vision & Dash Vision's slow range. Everything else is good.

I'm curious to test Dash Vision & if that OHKO's Ness's PK Flash or not. If it did that'd be ****ing scary considering how much counter range DV has & it's Forwarded input having more range than the other Visions too.

erico9001

NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
It does not Ohko from center of FD at 0%, but it does Ohko at the mid-point between the middle and the edge. I'll bet if Ness had like 10% damage at least it would kill him.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
It does not Ohko from center of FD at 0%, but it does Ohko at the mid-point between the middle and the edge. I'll bet if Ness had like 10% damage at least it would kill him.
This is about Dash Vision's sweetspot or sourspot? Nice so now I wonder if Forwarding the input may KO him from the center at 0% perhaps.

Top Bottom