• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How does Samus "go to the lab"?

Var Parasite

Smash Apprentice
Netherlands, Noord-Brabant, Hilvarenbeek.
I have had quite some time of trying to get better whilst having no players nearby at all. During this time I've tried to figure out options and follow-ups on my own, but didn't really get anywhere nearly as efficiently as I saw players with other mains do so.

I feel like Samus is a lot about setting the environment for your opponent, reacting defensively to his/her approaches, and provoking punishable behaviour. Next to this, reads personally make up a large portion of my follow-ups. Without having an opponent to play against, this seems very difficult to develop. Even now with netplay, the latency messes up my timing on punishes and defensive play.

How does one go about practicing alone with Samus? Are there actually enough solid follow-ups to fill out practice routines?

Litt

Samus
I have had quite some time of trying to get better whilst having no players nearby at all. During this time I've tried to figure out options and follow-ups on my own, but didn't really get anywhere nearly as efficiently as I saw players with other mains do so.

I feel like Samus is a lot about setting the environment for your opponent, reacting defensively to his/her approaches, and provoking punishable behaviour. Next to this, reads personally make up a large portion of my follow-ups. Without having an opponent to play against, this seems very difficult to develop. Even now with netplay, the latency messes up my timing on punishes and defensive play.

How does one go about practicing alone with Samus? Are there actually enough solid follow-ups to fill out practice routines?
No... practice basic movement and master is... wavedash from the ledge... up bs OoS, wavedash across stage w/o messing up, missile drills, practice jab cancels to get jab pressure as fast as you can, get 20xx or have another controler plugged in and practice spacing around opponents of where their sheilds will be, ect......... bascially get good moving in and out of your shield, know your options, and focus more of why you lose neutral than anything else

xleo_samusx

Smash Cadet
Personally I have spent much of my practice time practicing recoveries from extremely deep parts on fountain. Try WD off with a nair and use walljump to recover and mixups with the grapple beam recovery.

Litt

Samus
Personally I have spent much of my practice time practicing recoveries from extremely deep parts on fountain. Try WD off with a nair and use walljump to recover and mixups with the grapple beam recovery.
you should be able to do this as a result of movement practice without ever really practicing it directly

Last edited:

Narfanator

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
NARF#806
There's a lot of literature on techs now. Aerial interrupt, SWD, EXXXTENDDERR, FFMC. Beyond those, there's stuff already mentioned like WD out of shield, practicing a horizontal WD from ledge/onto platforms, then you can get put all these into a routine (Notice: if you do this routine during a tourney, you're effectively doing "One Player Mode"). The routine will ingrain these moves to your basic move sets; they become your fundamentals.

When you have your fundamentals down, watch videos of other Samus' and notice where they went wrong (they aren't really wrong, they're just different). I say to myself "Oh, he/she could have done this." Meaning, I would have done otherwise because that's my play style.

When you finally do get to play someone IRL, have fun. It's just a game....A GAME WE TAKE VERY SERIOUSLY.

\ (^ . ^) / (> . >) ?

Top Bottom