• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How does Rosalina exactly play?

GHOST4700

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MeatloafLP794
I really like Rosalina's playstyle and since I play Melee as well I want to find a Melee character that is sort off similar to Rosalina's playstyle.

Parcheesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Large-tree
3DS FC
4656-7185-5694
A big reason why I could never get into Melee ( and why I really like Smash 4 ), is there really wasn't a character like Rosalina to get me hooked. A lot of people will tell you she's "like Ice Climbers", but aside from the mechanic they share, they really don't play similarly at all. I'd say the closest two would be Marth, who has the long range, aerial focused hitboxes that excel at keeping opponents at a distance, or Sheik, who has the gimping potential combined with a fantastic recovery. Those two are well and good, but I'd suggest you just find another character in Melee that fits your playstyle the way Rosalina does, and work from there rather than trying to compare the characters to Rosalina.

Losho

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheLosho
3DS FC
3883-7759-0830
I have played a great deal of both Sm4sh and Melee and I can say confidently that there really is not a character that is similar to Rosalina in Melee. If you are looking for a character that plays quite different than the rest of the cast and is unique give Peach a try! :D

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
Rosalina is like a spacing-heavy, defensive puppet character. Melee's closest example would probably be :marthmelee:, who is a spacing, grab-centric character or maybe :mewtwomelee: because he's also tall and light with big moves. Although you'll find that Mewtwo is generally far inferior to Marth. You'll also be hard pressed to play so defensively in Melee. It certainly favors offense. :peachmelee: is probably as defensive as it gets, being a bait-and -punish character who forces the opponent to approach and smacks them for doing so poorly.

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
marth for sure.
except his sword is detached from him and is a projectile and can float around the stage

you use different button inputs and there's no similarities really to combos but it's all about that spacing

it's a stretch but rosa feels more marth like to me than marth does

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
To answer the question of the topic title, there is no one way Rosalina plays that is overall better than other methods. People write her off as a defensive, campy character, and I really don't see why. She can do that, but it's definitely not the optimal way to play as her. And I don't even think it's a popular play style for her either.

Most people seem to prefer keeping Luma close to her, and just using him as an extension of her attacks, and also as a meatshield on occasion, and sometimes sending him out to gimp people.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Everything, really. She can even be a projectile spammer if you give her Shooting Star Bit. Luma makes her so versatile.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Rosalina can range from being a defensive fighter who takes advantage of an opponent's mistakes, or an aggressive brawler. However, the aggressive side involves having the Luma with you, as it adds an extra punch to Rosalina's attacks.

Also, depending on your custom special setup, you can perform some extra tricks with the Luma Warp, and the Shooting Star Bit is a very good projectile to use against those who don't have any reflecting moves.

Trying to attack Rosalina from a distance? Gravitational Pull renders most projectile games ineffective, especially if they take too long to execute.

Simply put, Rosalina is a very versatile fighter with her combat options, and her grab game is also pretty good against the bigger fighters, such as King Dedede.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Rosalina can range from being a defensive fighter who takes advantage of an opponent's mistakes, or an aggressive brawler. However, the aggressive side involves having the Luma with you, as it adds an extra punch to Rosalina's attacks.

Also, depending on your custom special setup, you can perform some extra tricks with the Luma Warp, and the Shooting Star Bit is a very good projectile to use against those who don't have any reflecting moves.

Trying to attack Rosalina from a distance? Gravitational Pull renders most projectile games ineffective, especially if they take too long to execute.

Simply put, Rosalina is a very versatile fighter with her combat options, and her grab game is also pretty good against the bigger fighters, such as King Dedede.
What are her grab follow ups? I usually just up throw to up tilt or pummel them till they break free.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
What are her grab follow ups? I usually just up throw to up tilt or pummel them till they break free.
I can't really say for sure how many grab follow ups that Rosalina has, but up throw + up tilt is one of them; I actually did this to a level 7 Ganondorf in Smash 3DS.

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
downthrow to uair or fair
uthrow to uair is a combo around 50, utilt around 0-10
backthrow to fair as a mixup to dthrow

uthrow to jab might be a guaranteed on fast fallers at 0.

i dunno what else.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
downthrow to uair or fair
uthrow to uair is a combo around 50, utilt around 0-10
backthrow to fair as a mixup to dthrow

uthrow to jab might be a guaranteed on fast fallers at 0.

i dunno what else.
Down throw to Forward air is actually not as reliable as it seems. Back throw has too much knockback to really do anything except kill. Rarely.

Parcheesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Large-tree
3DS FC
4656-7185-5694
Down throw to Forward air is actually not as reliable as it seems. Back throw has too much knockback to really do anything except kill. Rarely.
Back throw at low percents will often link into a forward air, especially if people DI for the down throw ( in ), oh and it does more damage than down throw if my memory serves. I wouldn't even call it a kill throw, and if it is, it's the weakest in the category. Thankfully, it is just powerful enough to set them up for a scary Rosalina edge guard.

Last edited:

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
you're right, with DI it's easily avoided, but at low percents it's somewhat guaranteed on fatties and as I was saying with backthrow, it's a mixup option. if they DI wrong or not at all you can fair. if they DI bthrow wrong it's like a 21% combo i believe.

backthrow actually used to be a kill option pre patch. now it and fthrow are both weaker, with bthrowr having a little more oompf behind it. but it's just barely stronger than fthrow.

Last edited:

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
you're right, with DI it's easily avoided, but at low percents it's somewhat guaranteed on fatties and as I was saying with backthrow, it's a mixup option. if they DI wrong or not at all you can fair. if they DI bthrow wrong it's like a 21% combo i believe.

backthrow actually used to be a kill option pre patch. now it and fthrow are both weaker, with bthrowr having a little more oompf behind it. but it's just barely stronger than fthrow.
Oh ok I didn't realize the patches nerfed her throws, no wonder lol. Yeah I don't think Rosa has a lot of combos, but she does have a lot of frame traps when she gets the opponent in the air & a ton of ways to edgeguard. In Neutral I feel Rosalina is solid, but as a player you have to be able to make it work & space your attacks. I definitely a Marth feeling when I play her, but extra advantage w/ Luma because opponent's are afraid to grab you so that eliminates a major option in neutral game.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Back throw at low percents will often link into a forward air, especially if people DI for the down throw ( in ), oh and it does more damage than down throw if my memory serves. I wouldn't even call it a kill throw, and if it is, it's the weakest in the category. Thankfully, it is just powerful enough to set them up for a scary Rosalina edge guard.
Down throw is pretty decievingly weak, but it does kill at at least 150%. If you don't get killed from the side blast zone you'll reach the upper one first. Even forward throw can KO at unholy percents. And you're right, Rosalina's edgeguards can be disgusting. That damn neutral air is so good.

Up throw to up tilt to up air is 26% with Luma too, right?

Parcheesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Large-tree
3DS FC
4656-7185-5694
I meant as far as percent goes. If you're confident that both down throw > Fair, and back throw > Fair will work, back throw will tack on more damage. I don't think I've ever gotten a kill with down throw; I just kinda stop using it once they get above a certain percent.

I think between all the hits of neutral air, it's possible to maneuver yourself in a way that the opponent can't air dodge and not get hit ( Mostly because of Luma's slow, 1-2 nair ). I'll try to do some science next time I can find a willing 'jump and spotdodge' test subject. I've definitely caught a few air dodging people with Luma's hitboxes, but I'm not sure it's a hard counter to the option.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I meant as far as percent goes. If you're confident that both down throw > Fair, and back throw > Fair will work, back throw will tack on more damage. I don't think I've ever gotten a kill with down throw; I just kinda stop using it once they get above a certain percent.

I think between all the hits of neutral air, it's possible to maneuver yourself in a way that the opponent can't air dodge and not get hit ( Mostly because of Luma's slow, 1-2 nair ). I'll try to do some science next time I can find a willing 'jump and spotdodge' test subject. I've definitely caught a few air dodging people with Luma's hitboxes, but I'm not sure it's a hard counter to the option.
I don't think down throw ever kills. The thing is, Luma's neutral air kills and Rosalina's was pretty much tailored to be a **** you move to people who like to air dodge. That's what makes it so good. And you'll almost never get punished for it.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Down throw does KO, but the target would have to have taken a large amount of damage before that ever happens.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Probably Sudden Death percents.
Down throw starts KOing Mario when he has 356% damage or more. A bit less for the lightweights, and a bit more for the heavyweights.

Up throw potentially KOs Mario at 196% damage or more.

Keep note that these are Smash Wii U damage values, since in Smash 3DS, the blast lines are slightly longer for the Omega Form stages.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Down throw starts KOing Mario when he has 356% damage or more. A bit less for the lightweights, and a bit more for the heavyweights.

Up throw potentially KOs Mario at 196% damage or more.

Keep note that these are Smash Wii U damage values, since in Smash 3DS, the blast lines are slightly longer for the Omega Form stages.
Mario actually isn't the ideal middleweight this time around. That would be Robin.

Top Bottom