• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How does one choose a main?

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
I use a variety of characters for smash yet I can't figure out who to main.
What character do you have the most fun with? What character do you win the most with? What character do you love from his/her original series? Most people make their decision from some combination of those factors.

Altea77

Smash Apprentice
Asking how do you choose a main is like asking how do you choose your clothes. Just pick what you like.

Foster J.

Smash Ace
Well, you'd have to choose THE one then. You got 6 characters to decide on which one you like the most. Though you have listed Link as your main, then it's just to set up the line

outfoxd

Smash Ace
NNID
outfoxd
For me a character just clicks through natural play. The only character I ever forced as a main was Dragunov in Tekken and that was due to sheer awesome.

Nerdicon

Smash Journeyman
Usually my mains start as characters who look interesting, if I like how they play I keep playing them. Your mains should strike a balance between a character you genuinely like playing as, a character you like as a character, and a character you can win with.

D

Deleted member

For me, this is how I consider choosing a main:
  • What is my play style like? What do I see myself wanting to do in Smash? Does that character meet my play style?
  • After playing as them, do I like how they play? Do I feel compelled to main them? Does this character click with me?
  • Am I good with this character? Or, if I am not that good, do I want to improve as them?
  • Optional: Do I like this character outside of Smash?
To put this into perspective with my mains:
  • I like to juggle or set up combos. A character like Luigi is excellent at this while Shulk can do this under certain conditions or percents.
  • I ask this question a lot after playing some characters for a while. After playing as Luigi and Shulk, I was compelled to main them both. In Shulk's case, I didn't know if I could main him or not; after winning a few rounds and beginning to understand his intricacies, I decided to main him.
  • If you are good with a character initially and can get them down pat fast, I say that you should stick with them. I once mained Greninja and, while I wasn't the best with him at first, I wanted to get better as him.
  • Now you might not ask this question to yourself while considering a main, but it is important to note. If you like a character within their respective franchise, that character might click with you faster. For Luigi and Shulk, I love the franchises that they hail from and I love them as characters in their respective series.
There are also secondaries to choose from and consider. These could be characters that you choose if your main has trouble against another character. For example, R.O.B. could give Luigi trouble with his projectiles, you might want to use Pit in this case since he has better projectiles, approach, and a reflector to use against him.
They could also be characters that you like or you like their play style, but you don't feel compelled to main them or you just like to play as them for fun.

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti
My mains in order:

Villager - I love animal crossing
Link - Liked his moveset
Fox - I liked his speed
Duck Hunt - Liked his moveset
Lucina - Liked her playstyle
Sheik (For a long time) - Moveset, playstyle, speed, combo ability, and more
Pac-man - Liked his playstyle
Kirby - Loved playstyle, combo ability, and series + character
Luigi - Character, playstyle, and combo ability
Meta Knight - Moveset, character + series
Zero Suit Samus - Moveset, strings for days
Back to Kirby - I gotta stick with my favourite and best character.

If you need to choose a main, think of playstyle, Moveset, combo ability, series, and character. That's what I did.

Top Bottom