• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How does matchmaking work & what are the odds?

pollo20x6

Smash Journeyman
I was just playing on the Wii U when I was matched with a guy named Sal with the tag XC. He reminded me of my friend Salvador, who loves cross country. I play him and he's also from California. Surprised by these coincidences, I go to Facebook and when I get there, he's already messaged me if I'm playing Smash.

Keep in mind, I've never added him on Wii U. I didn't even know he owned the game.
I wanna say matchmaking is based on geographical location, but I had just played a guy from Florida before him.
I know it was 12:00 AM PST, but I feel like there can't really be that little bit of people playing.

Sir. Oosh

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1993-8349-0853
This must have just been a very lucky coincidence. I'm not sure how the matchmaking system works but Sakurai has said that there does exist some sort of matchmaking system. I'm not sure what it's based on and I'm not sure if anyone knows for sure what it is based on (except of course, the people who made the game) but it is probably only meant to match people up based on skill, as opposed to whether they know each other or not.

VPTurnip

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Turnip
3DS FC
0920-3141-8524
No, I'd argue you get local players far more often than not.
I think location plays a big role.

I often get players from my own area.

Last edited:
Top Bottom