• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How does leffen trump syrox's techskill?

Sprenzy

Smash Apprentice
I've seen some of his combo video and I he has some fancy tech skills plus doing all those 0 to deaths. even tier 2 foxes like sfat has some trouble whereas against leffen all those fancy tech skills and crazy combos seem to disappear. you know since syrox changes from outplaying the ever living **** out of players and spamming tech skill to literally being hopeless.

Is this becasue of the mindset like oh shoot, I'm playing against leffen. and being a little bit intimidated or is it simply becasue leffen has greater tech skills and knows how to stuff syrox's approaches?

There is always an invisible layer where skill just overlaps eachother and im always so intrigued by how far skill gap can be

MalanoMan

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0183_3775_0422
If Syrox can outplay a large majority of other players I would guess that he's not intimidated by Leffen. My guess is that Leffen just knows how to outplay Syrox in the meta game. I guess we need to see some Leffen v Syrox videos then don't we?

Leffen v Syrox @ Genesis 5

Im no master melee player, but it just seems like these guys are constantly trying to read each other and adjust in order to win. Also, Leffen's movement is TIGHT.

MarioLutherKing

Smash Rookie
There are many players with "high tech skill" that don't place well in tournament. And same goes for the opposite some players have less tech skill but place well. Melee is much more about neutral, knowing the matchup, adapting, etc. If you look at HBox arguably the best player he plays one of the least tech heavy characters. Syrox, Reino, Absent page, westballz all have incredible tech skill but dont win tourneys.

R3D3MON

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KeeHwang2010
There are many players with "high tech skill" that don't place well in tournament. And same goes for the opposite some players have less tech skill but place well. Melee is much more about neutral, knowing the matchup, adapting, etc. If you look at HBox arguably the best player he plays one of the least tech heavy characters. Syrox, Reino, Absent page, westballz all have incredible tech skill but dont win tourneys.
Although I agree with your general sentiment, merely reducing the skills of Syrox, Absent Page, and Westballz to "spamming techskill LOL" is extremely dangerous and unproductive for discussing what makes Leffen better than Syrox/other high-level foxes. Syrox, Absent Page, and Westballz are all still better than 99.99% of all players and they generally have excellent resumes (although Westballz can be quite upset-prone). In fact, Absent Page just won Dreamhack Atlanta, beating S2J, ChuDat, and many other high-tier players on his way.

IMO, what makes Leffen better than other high-level foxes can boil down to consistency and composure during stressful situations. Leffen is a techskill monster that can easily be argued to be on the same level as Syrox in terms of techskill, but Leffen also is much more consistency with very important techskills, such as ledgedashes, cancelling shines, and pivots. Ledgedashes are significant for getting back on stage and during edgeguard reversal situations, and pivots are important for many kill setups from throws. He also generally tends to be an efficiency monster, going for more guaranteed followups and better coverage options than more specific and volatile setups that require much more precise scenarios and cover less of the opponent's defensive options. This is especially important to keep in mind during edgeguarding situations. He also does much better during high-pressure situations, where Leffen and his opponent players may both be down to their last stock and in high percents, or when Leffen is down multiple stocks against an opponent and needs to make a big comeback. Leffen trusts his skills as a player, and has learned to panic less over the years. This strong mentality has mostly come from experience.

These traits really aren't unique to Leffen, however, and all of the gods all possess these traits (yes, including Hungrybox), which is why they are gods and can stay consistent every year.

gogurtpeachy

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
GOGU#750
Melee comes down to a lot more than tech skill. Execution is important, sure, but the reality is that leffen is just a smarter player than syrox.

Top Bottom