• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you guys deal with not being able to play as well as you used to?

SullyJay

Smash Rookie
NNID
Dejay15
3DS FC
4081-6913-3923
I need some help with this and I'm not sure if this is the right place for it.

All of a sudden I'm not playing well as i used to, its not that i am getting bodied, I get bodied all the time lol. I'm having trouble using whatever character I play, and I have trouble getting strings too. When I played the 3ds version I knew exactly what I was doing, and the same goes for when I just got the Wii U version, but now that I had it for a while my play is off. I'm whiffing moves and grabs when I see an opportunity all the time now.

How would you guys deal with a problem like this?

Pyr

Smash Lord
Well, I stepped away from LoL for a year an a half. Took a solid month of feeding and losing most of my games to get back into it. The only solid answer I can give is just that: Practice, get back into the rhythm, play hard, and dedicate what you can. It's like riding a bike... You just gotta get your balance back.

Quick Edit: I am assuming, of course, that your control scheme isn't going to be the 3DS on the WiiU. That's where a lot of the difficulty for smash came for me for S4, thus the analogy with League.

Last edited:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Trust me, taking a break from it for a day or two can get you back into your groove.

SuaveChaser

Smash Journeyman
It may be time to just step back and take a break. I'm still having issues getting used to the defensive nature of the game.

Agro_98

Smash Cadet
NNID
leafsfan98
Ya just take a break from playing for a bit, i was going through the same thing and a break did the trick. I came back feeling more confident and playing better.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
I call this "gamer fatigue". This happened a lot to me when I played SC2 on the ladder. If you play too much, sometimes your mind just can't get in sync with your movements and it sort of just wanders off. Taking a break does help alleviate this, but I'd take it a step further and say just take breaks more frequently. If you play for 2 hours straight, just take a time out and watch TV, play something else, etc. This'll keep your mental state refreshed.

But lets assume you're not feeling fatigued.

My other assumption would be the transition from 3DS to Wii U is what is getting to you. In which case, just gotta practice more. Save replays of when you lose, watch them over, see what you could have done better, then play some more.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
Take breaks. Also take a few matches to get back to the basics that made you good as a character in the first place and slowly incorporate new ideas. If you lose sight of the basics you find yourself getting worse while pursuing new strats.

Top Bottom