• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you fight Sonic as Jigglypuff?

Uberlord

Smash Rookie
I cant catch sonic for the life of me with Jigglypuff. He rolls up and charges at me. If he misses, he's outside my range and can easily do a follow up attack. I can't find any openings at all. Using other characters, I can use some ranged attacks to put pressure on him, but Jiggly has none of that.

Any tips on how to deal with Sonic?

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
I haven't played much sonics with jigglypuff, so answering this will not be completely useful. Sonic's dash attacks can be overcome with fair, but I don't know on which part. They usually hop over me and airdodge, so I would prefer to make ground attack instead pursuing with aerials.

There's much more I need to uncover, but just he's just waiting for you, play the patient game and float over his attacks every time he tries. This is FG logic, however. I'll see more to it in an actual competitive scale.

Desu~

Smash Ace
NNID
Mr. G-E
Switch FC
2211-2137-8924
Usually retreating nairs put a stop to Sonic player's over-aggressive playstyle and thus makes them think twice before charging at you.
If by "rolling and charging at you" you meant his side/down b, then I should tell you (if you haven't watched this yet) that sing has been confirmed to completely stop Sonic in his tracks.
So if you see him doing too much of this stuff mindlessly don't hesitate to time a good Sing on him and then punish accordingly depending on his percentage.

If the thing is that the Sonic in question keeps running away then it becomes a tiring game of patience. Depending on the advantage or disadvantage you are at, you could try to annoy him until he approaches you and hope to punish for mistakes he makes or you be forced to approach him respectively. If he ever gets out of stage gimping might not be rewarding but could help you if Sonic exploit too much of his vertical recovery.

Other than that it's not especially easy to knock out a stock out of Sonic. Fortunately, last time I checked, he does not seem to have many killing moves aside his Fsmash and bair.

Last edited:

Uberlord

Smash Rookie
Yea I meant his side B. I havent actually ever used Sonic, so I just know they charge something up and roll at me at some crazy speed and follow up with too many attacks.

Sing works if the ball stays on the ground, but Sonic usually flies upwards into a Uair, then into B up then into another Uair.

Also it was usually the other way around. I get tired of the game of patience, miss a rest, and get smashed in the face. Currently working on improving that part lol

Phampy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Phampy
My advice against his spin dash would be to take to the air. This helps eliminate his plethora of mixups he has if you choose to shield or try to roll away from his dash where he then has several options to try out. Once you're in the air, you can challenge the spindash with a nair/fair or just float away from him which would then force him to jump and toss an aerial or cancel the dash. Alternatively, jump and start floating towards him to initiate which also leads to him canceling the spindash or attempting to challenge you in the air.

This personally helps me a bit because staying on the ground gives him too many options and it turns into a bad guessing game for which option I should pursue to challenge or punish spin dash.

drakeirving

Smash Journeyman
Even in the air Sonic has a billion options and mixups, and his aerial movement is always insane because it's backed by spindash. If he misses, getting back in to punish is difficult since missing means he flies away, and then he just resets to neutral. He also isn't forced to jump and aerial (even then he can jump and switch to homing or something else entirely), and canceling the dash doesn't hurt him whatsoever. I don't see how that advice helps much.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I'm not really one to advocate this, but for all it's worth, Rollout beats Sonic's Forward-B and Down-B...though he can just jump out of it and punish you. That's not true, and even if it were, you shouldn't be using Rollout.

It is physically impossible for you to catch Sonic because the mobility disparity is so huge. It's a lot of sticking out lingering aerials and making hard reads just to be able to touch him, both of which Sonic excels at punishing. For the most part, if he gets a significant lead in a tournament game, you may as well give up, because he can just time you out at that point.

Last edited:

Gregory2590

Smash Journeyman
NNID
phireblast
I'm not really one to advocate this, but for all it's worth, Rollout beats Sonic's Forward-B and Down-B...though he can just jump out of it and punish you.
Spin dash(forward b) beats rollout regardless of charge.

Spin charge(down b) beats rollout only if it's fully charged.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I stand corrected. That said, Jigglypuff shouldn't be using Rollout in almost any matchup.

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
against Sonic, I am using Nairs alot since they appear to have higher priority than many other attacks, otherwise I shield alot and waiting on the punish!
if I got them to an %, I tend to stay at the ledge and wait for them to do a dash attack! since on the ledge, they cant really "run" away from the dash attack, meaning I can rest on them with ease.

one thing I also do is I trying to make sonic being in the air and out of the stage! if they Neutral B attack you, you can dodge on the right spot and make their homing attack on you miss and they go down instead! on UpB I am ready for a Bair/Nair punish there he would enter special fall animation

Last edited:

Yoroi

Smash Rookie
Spin dash(forward b) beats rollout regardless of charge.

Spin charge(down b) beats rollout only if it's fully charged.
For some reason though, rollout DOES beat spin dash if you turn around instead of rolling straight into them, so if they try and catch you on the pivot the rollout slams them because it's more powerful coming out of the turn.

Psymon

Smash Sweetheart
Nairs. As far as the matchup is concerned, I'd say it was 40:60 in Sonic's favour simply because of Jiggs' light weight and Sonic's plethora of kill moves (Forward-Smash, Up-Smash, Back-Throw, Neutral-B...even Bair and Nair at high percents). Best advice would be to attempt to gain stage control, stay patient, and either punish his approaches with nair/dash attack (starts on frame 5, out-prioritises spin dash), or punish whiffed attacks with rest if at kill percent.

This should definitely be the next matchup that we REALLY look into though. Good topic.

GanonkingAbyss

Smash Apprentice
I think nair beats most of sonic's side b animation, aside from the beginning portion. If approaching from the air and trying to nair his side b, I'm pretty sure he can just wait for you to be right in front of him before releasing the side b.

Psymon

Smash Sweetheart
Sonic's ability to jump out of the side-B can stop any real punishes unless you're able to read his movements. One of the guys I play with approaches slowly with multiple side-B jumps, and he either speeds it up into the side-B attack > U-Air/F-Air, or uses the homing attack (both of which are incredibly buffed from Brawl). It's a horrible matchup IMO :/

Last edited:

tru.

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3239-5360-8490
Make sure you are always predicting Sonic's attacks and movements. Nothing is worse than being constantly being beat up by a fast character due to them tricking or faking you out constantly. With Jigglypuff, stay stationary, because his attacks usually leave him vulnerable to fast characters like Sonic. When Sonic comes rushing toward you, simply counter with a neutral-air or forward-air, knocking him back. Since it's difficult to keep Sonic in a combo in the air, just try to rack up damage consistently by blocking his attacks, striking, retreating, blocking, striking, retreating. Also, although this may not be that helpful, sometimes floating offstage will cause Sonic to jump offstage to hit you, but you can retaliate as Jiggly's aerial game is much stronger than Sonic's if used correctly. Never risk using Sing or Rest, as Sonic most like avoid those.

Psymon

Smash Sweetheart
Make sure you are always predicting Sonic's attacks and movements. Nothing is worse than being constantly being beat up by a fast character due to them tricking or faking you out constantly. With Jigglypuff, stay stationary, because his attacks usually leave him vulnerable to fast characters like Sonic. When Sonic comes rushing toward you, simply counter with a neutral-air or forward-air, knocking him back. Since it's difficult to keep Sonic in a combo in the air, just try to rack up damage consistently by blocking his attacks, striking, retreating, blocking, striking, retreating. Also, although this may not be that helpful, sometimes floating offstage will cause Sonic to jump offstage to hit you, but you can retaliate as Jiggly's aerial game is much stronger than Sonic's if used correctly. Never risk using Sing or Rest, as Sonic most like avoid those.
Very good points other than the last bit. I agree that sing - for the most part - is too risky against him, and that rest shouldn't be thrown out constantly as Sonic's forward-smash can kill Jiggs at like 50%. However, if you read a roll, block an advancing aerial, or manage to combo into rest from down-air, this is by far the best way of killing him. Its hard to rack enough damage up to kill him by another means.

Last edited:

tru.

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3239-5360-8490
Very good points other than the last bit. I agree that sing - for the most part - is too risky against him, and that rest shouldn't be thrown out constantly as Sonic's forward-smash can kill Jiggs at like 50%. However, if you read a roll, block an advancing aerial, or manage to combo into rest from down-air, this is by far the best way of killing him. Its hard to rack enough damage up to kill him by another means.
Right right, I see what you're saying. I definitely would not consider Sing, as if Sonic avoids this, it could end up badly. Rest should never be used (in any battle) unless one is almost certain the attack will strike, otherwise this would backfire. Considering Sonic's outright incredible speed in battle, yes, sometimes it may be necessary to predict a move and retaliate with Rest. But for the most part, I believe you should be very wary that risky moves like that will often leave you open to enemy attack if not careful.

Psymon

Smash Sweetheart
Right right, I see what you're saying. I definitely would not consider Sing, as if Sonic avoids this, it could end up badly. Rest should never be used (in any battle) unless one is almost certain the attack will strike, otherwise this would backfire. Considering Sonic's outright incredible speed in battle, yes, sometimes it may be necessary to predict a move and retaliate with Rest. But for the most part, I believe you should be very wary that risky moves like that will often leave you open to enemy attack if not careful.
I couldn't agree more. Frame traps are the only sure way to get a rest, so for this matchup (at least for when you're above say 20%), rest should only be used when you can guarantee that it'll hit.

Top Bottom