• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you fight Ike?

FishkeeperTimmay!

Smash Ace
Hello, this is a thread designed to collect up-to-date info on Match-ups for the Ike boards, which is always in desperate need of good info.

I come to you today with a simple set of questions, attempting to get the "other side" of ideas pertaining to the Matchups against Ike. Its just a few simple questions I'm hoping to get answered;

1. What is your general opinion of Ike as a character?
2. What moves do you fear from Ike?
3. Which moves do not trouble you at all?
4. Which moves/techniques do you use against Ike to gain the advantage?
5. What specific edgeguards do you employ versus Ike?

Feel free to add anything else that doesn't fit into the questions criteria. The goal is to collect information, so anything s useful.

On a side note, I may feel the need to quote this info. If you don't wished to be quoted, please tell me in your posts, and I will not quote you.

Thanks in advance. ^^

Ørion

Smash Ace
This is the information on Ike that people have posted in the Zamus Match-Up Thread, hope it's useful.

CyanCyde said:
Since Zamus' DashA is such a good combo starter, Ike can be tempted into trying to DownB to counter it. If you can get him into that, dashgrabbing into a DThrow works wonders. I do believe that Zamus takes an extra step (maybe two) before actually lashing out for her grab when you dashgrab, though. Her neutralB can give Ike headaches, as well.

Garde said:
Ike is one of Zamus's easiest matches, imho. He has very low mobility and his only quick approach falls victim to the stun gun (since the attack comes out at the very end, you can intercept him with it). As long as you bait out his moves and keep an eye out for SH b-airs when you're in the air approaching him, you should have very little trouble against him. The stun gun is his worst enemy, and while he has reach, he has a considerable amount of lag on most of his moves making it easy to hit him out of or avoid/shield them. His side+B, b-air and jab A are the three things you really need to look out for because they're fast. As long as you force him to act, you can beat him pretty easily just based off of your speed and range.

When going for the KO against Ike, be careful about up-airs when he's free falling (not tumbling) because his Eruption has super armor and it has decent knockback. If you're high up on the screen and he hits you with that, you could get star KOed at mid-low %. Trying to edge hog him is very difficult and must be timed perfectly, it's usually a better idea to intercept him from far away when recovering. Don't try to beat Aether if he's going to grab the ledge because you'll lose every time, unless you get behind him (but going below the stage when he can grab the ledge is very risky and you can get edge hogged this way) and b-air/f-air him. If he uses side+B as a recovery move, get in his way to see him plummet to his death.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
In general, Ike doesn't scare me. He's relatively slow, and Plasma Whip outranges even him. Paralyzer destroys most of his approaches, and Plasma Whip picks up the slack. He's slow enough that he can be shield grabbed, and heavy enough that most of the time something can be done with it. I don't think he has many options against Zamus.

Johnthegalactic

Smash Lord
The only thing that bothers me about Ike is how powerful his moves are in relative to ZS Samus, i hate when he gets me with an AAA, and sends me flying, while I have to be very careful when I fight him.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
there's no question that ike is very powerful, but he is very slow and therefore zamus could down b over his head as he is approaching, and if ike tries to counter, which he most likely would, then it wouldn't be too hard to dash throw him out of it with zamus's speed. zss could probably end up winning the match fairly easily.

CyanCyde

Smash Cadet
To add to what I've posted previously, pretty much everything Ike does (except for his jab combo) comes out soooo sloooow that ZSS can punish most of his moves with relative ease. Of course, ZSS's NeutralB and SideB make it difficult for Ike to approach, too. If he tries to approach in the air for some reason, he's a pretty big target for a DownB sex kick.

Johnthegalactic

Smash Lord
CyanCyde, one of my friends mains Ike, and those are the moves he concentrates on when I am against him, he is really good at all the SSB games, and I am not so good, although now I can actually beat him sometimes.

Johnthegalactic

Smash Lord
1. What is your general opinion of Ike as a character? He is slow, and white.
2. What moves do you fear from Ike? Down taunt.
3. Which moves do not trouble you at all? Up taunt
4. Which moves/techniques do you use against Ike to gain the advantage? I already got the advantage, so why do I need to do anything extra.
5. What specific edgeguards do you employ versus Ike? Hanging from the edge.

Orichalcum

Smash Journeyman
1. What is your general opinion of Ike as a character? Strong, Slow, I fight for my friends
2. What moves do you fear from Ike? Jab combo
3. Which moves do not trouble you at all? B moves
4. Which moves/techniques do you use against Ike to gain the advantage? Spacing, Projectiles, Dodge, Shield(Grabs)
5. What specific edgeguards do you employ versus Ike? Jumping into forwardb

sheikan7

Smash Cadet
Mmm I first found him hard when facing my friend. I didn't really know what he was charging, its range, or speed. In addition to that, I was new to ZSS =X. Now that I know my range and his etc...I can take him on pretty comfortably now.=D

IKE_Angel

Smash Journeyman
ok as a good Ike player i'm gonna tell a little about ike (sorry other ike players) but the main thing is he'll try to catch you off guardso there for he will most likely let you have there first move when he see's you coming he'll either roll dodge or counter if you try and grab ike he'll roll or dodge to catch you off guard and start using combos from there if you try and attack he'll use counter and pound your face in again so the main thinga u want to do is try and catch him off guard or learn what he's doing and destroy him but keep in mind i'm just one ike player so there are other tatics out there

CyanCyde

Smash Cadet
Since Paralyzer and Plasma Whip outrange basically everything Ike does, she doesn't really have to approach him, y'know. Ike also isn't the only character who can mindgame--if Zamus mindgames Ike into a DownB, she's going to throw him up and air combo him before he can play super armor games with Eruption.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
ok as a good Ike player i'm gonna tell a little about ike (sorry other ike players) but the main thing is he'll try to catch you off guardso there for he will most likely let you have there first move when he see's you coming he'll either roll dodge or counter if you try and grab ike he'll roll or dodge to catch you off guard and start using combos from there if you try and attack he'll use counter and pound your face in again so the main thinga u want to do is try and catch him off guard or learn what he's doing and destroy him but keep in mind i'm just one ike player so there are other tatics out there
Ok, I'm a Lucario player, so this might be out of place, but Ike rolling? It's so slow, the opponent is going to keep a diary of the entire trip. So unless they use a laggy move, it's probably not going to work. Although Zamus does have some laggy moves...

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
If he's rolling, then he's leaving himself open, if he counters a paralyzer, he leaves himself open. If you think a Zamus main is going to try to grab anyone as her first move, then you really don't know much about Zamus.

Top Bottom