• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

how do you fight a Ness?

Yoshio!

Smash Rookie
Im fighting a really good Ness, he mostly keeps a fair combo on me(i think its fair, never actually played Ness) which has enough range to be annoying as hell, then dairs to lift me and finish me with an uair, he also edgeguards with a side smash and can easily spike my attempts to get back on the stage...

I know i probably need more practice, since im quite decent buthes about the best Smasher i know, butanything i could use to really have an advantage over Ness would help, thanks

DashNoob

Smash Cadet
NEss is in MY opinion one of the most underrated and annoying character of the game.
His fair (that psyenergy area from the palm of his hands) has quite the range and knockback plus it has many hits so it´s not easily dogeable. You can otherwise, just roll back and grab when he is about to hit the ground during the atack, it has some useful lag (for you :p) and you have to use it to change the tide.

About edge guarding, really dont know what´s your problem since u dont tell much, but I asume (since u says he spikes you everytime) you are using downB way too much, zamus has 3 ways to recover, 2 tethe(?) and the sex kick. Try to avoid beein predictable by swapping from one to another method everytime. Ther are LOTS of mindgames involving this (at least in my style of game), allow me to explain.

Zamus can take most of the characters out from the stage with FAR LESS effort than trying to KO them by damage racking. So you just need to get them around 50-ish,take them out and FOLLOW them with Fair,Uair,Bair,SideB or in a VERY specific context (you are 100%Sure youll hit) with DownB.

I dont understand why people doesnt use Zamus as an out-stage beast, instead they just keep trying to rack enough damage to KO with a Side b ,BAir,Fair,Uair or a sex kick. Im NOT against that,but it gets predictable if the match takes too long to finish. So in MY humble opinion, rakicng damage till 50-ish so you can take them out and then HUNT them t oblivion AND come back (she´s got quite good recovery) will make the match shorter and your aproach+comboing+damage racking+grabs less predictable.

Of course im not saying you to grab-throw out off stage all the time, just balance those, i mean,if you know you have the advantage you can always tray to win by the combo way, wich most of the time looks way cooler, I know.

So why am I saying this here and not in the tactic thread? because NESS is particulary easy to take out (he is lightweight) AND his recovery is easily punished cuz it needs almost a FULL second to "takeover".

As for the spamming and fSmash, spacing is the most important thing to master, so dont try to aproach with the same moves over and over.Throw some mindgames to the mix,I mean, you DONT have to star comboing out of your aproach always, you can fake one pretty easy because of Zamus´ Speed. Also at the beggining you can use your armor parts to get a KO if u do it well (AKA dont begin by trowing all 3 of ´em to your opponent)

IN the end tho, it comes down to how CREATIVE you are, i mean, if you get in the forums and then try to play AS someone else then you´re mostly goin to fail in getting to your full potential as smasher. From my Experience, i tryed SO HARD to play like KEN,KIZZU,ETC back in melee that in the end my game didn´t even satisfied me cuz i wasn´t having FUN with my marth anymore (even when i was quite good), so i scratched it and started over and my marth got better without playing him as the aerial beast it was reckoned in melee. So i was fairly good AND my character was (at least for me) by far a most fun experience than trying to play "like the pro´s cuz they´re good".

Now i got ZAmus and even tho at the beggining is VERY HARD to get your game (she is not a conventional character in this game) once you start using your OWN style is when you start getting good AND having fun in the process.

That´s my advice, you take what you like and use it ,then when you get better you can come back here and share your knowledge with fellow Smashers.

PEACE =)

Top Bottom